Beginners and Beyond

Tuesdailies (Read 34 times)

bluerun

Super B****

A lot depends on where you are in your running. I've done an event in blizzard conditions when I couldn't get enough of racing and it was just stupid. No desire to get up early in the dead of winter and go do that again. Freezing temps with good footing is a different story. But that also depends on the objective at that time.

You're talking to someone who will have to drive 130 miles before dawn next month because I need a December HM and I refuse to do one of the closer ones because principles. So yeah, very different.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Cyberic

And you create your ice beard at home before going out.

No ice beard, just old age Smile

Before you say it, I never race, so my point is irrelevant. But I would race in cold conditions, in slushy conditions (I would not register if I know in advance it will be bad conditions), but I don't know about slippery conditions. Like you said, running and racing are two different things. In a race you can/will get excited and go fast. Not a good idea when it's slippery. I usually come to a complete stop before I turn when it's slippery. i don't know if I'd have the discipline to do so in a race.

onemile

If it's that bad, wouldn't they cancel it?? (I never DNS a race if I am physically capable of running, but I would if the course was a skating rink. Except I wouldn't have to, because if it was a skating rink, it would be a liability and there would be no race.)

I have never heard of a race in Wisconsin being canceled for ice or snow

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I have never heard of a race in Wisconsin being canceled for ice or snow

I was going to say that the Midwest seems to be like this with respect to cancellations:

Damaris

onemile

Half Crazy K 2.0

Here in MD, a little snow or ice shuts everything down. Often races use schools, if they do, then the race is 100% dependent on the school system. On weekends, if they mention snow, weekend school activities are cancelled.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

re Mona Fartlek....2x90, 4x60, 4x30, 4x15 with same recoveries, or is it 4 for all intervals (meaning the 90's)? My reading was inconclusive.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Not me. I will not run if it's under 50 degrees.

Your avatar says otherwise.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Baboon

delicate flower

Speaking of race weather, mine is trending a few ticks cooler at the start, so 60 instead of 65, which would be huge IMO.  Of course the following night is going to be mid-50, and then mid-40's Monday night.

<3

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Speaking of race weather, mine is trending a few ticks cooler at the start, so 60 instead of 65, which would be huge IMO.  Of course the following night is going to be mid-50, and then mid-40's Monday night.

When I checked it earlier today or yesterday the high was 78F for race day.

Damaris

Cyberic

re Mona Fartlek....2x90, 4x60, 4x30, 4x15 with same recoveries, or is it 4 for all intervals (meaning the 90's)? My reading was inconclusive.

You have it right, it's only 2x90s, so the total length of the workout is 20 minutes exactly, including the last 15 seconds float.

MTA: From what I read, that was the idea, actually, to come up with a super workout that fits in 20 minutes.

Baboon

delicate flower

When I checked it earlier today or yesterday the high was 78F for race day.

That is still the high, but my race will be over before the temp hits 70.

<3

Cyberic

It was so much hotter in Miami when D lived there 

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

True.  And only 63 dewpoint.  Not too bad.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

It was so much hotter in Miami when D lived there 

This race is nowhere near Miami. 

Damaris