Beginners and Beyond

2020 Dailies #47 (Read 29 times)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

So you're using power numbers that you know are too low to do speedwork too slow and wondering why your CP isn't accurate?  And you refuse to push yourself in order to get Stryd to measure a higher CP.  Makes sense.

No, I am using them as a guide but I always end up running at a faster power than it says. Like 5-10 higher than the CP says. Which is why I said the CP is too low.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

The only question I have is more with the easy runs. The Stryd tells me I am running them mostly at zone 3 and unless my CP goes up by a lot, I am running them too fast.

Damaris

onemile

The only question I have is more with the easy runs. The Stryd tells me I am running them mostly at zone 3 and unless my CP goes up by a lot, I am running them too fast.

Zone 3 for me is like a 6:30-6:40/pace. It clearly isn't easy. Your CP is not anything close to accurate if you are running at easy effort in zone 3.

My easy pace never goes outside of zone 1 and I can run down to close to an 8mm and still be in zone 1.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Yeah. I need another race. I have 5K mile intervals tomorrow. Each one should be more than 9 mins hard. Maybe it will recalculate then.

Damaris

Cyberic

I don't have the auto CP on either. 

Yeah. I need another race. I have 5K mile intervals tomorrow. Each one should be more than 9 mins hard. Maybe it will recalculate then.

It won't if you have Auto-CP on "off"

RunningOnSand

I don't have the auto CP on either. But the 5Ks I've been able to run have not been to my max IMO, so to me, the number is still not accurate.

I read somewhere that unless you've run the race within the past few weeks, the numbers will be inaccurate. I also read that people should perform a CP Test every 4-6 weeks (I'd assume, depending on the type of training you're doing).

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

It won't if you have Auto-CP on "off"

True. I normally put it on auto after a hard workout or race and then redo the calculation if it’s below my current CP and turn it off.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I read somewhere that unless you've run the race within the past few weeks, the numbers will be inaccurate. I also read that people should perform a CP Test every 4-6 weeks (I'd assume, depending on the type of training you're doing).

I recently based it on my tempo run two weeks ago since I ran 3 miles faster than the 5K I was using from

January. It went up 2 points at least!

Damaris

onemile

I recently based it on my tempo run two weeks ago since I ran 3 miles faster than the 5K I was using from

January. It went up 2 points at least!

How do you base it on a run? Did you put your time from the tempo run into the 5k race CP calculator?

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Yeap but I added the 0.1 equivalent. I used the McMillan calculator to see what a 3 miles would translate into a 5K for the three I ran.

Damaris

onemile

Yeap but I added the 0.1 equivalent. I used the McMillan calculator to see what a 3 miles would translate into a 5K for the three I ran.

Was it a race effort ? 

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Was it a race effort ? 

Nope, it was at tempo effort, even though it's faster than my last two 5Ks, lol. Now I realize I should've just done a 10K estimation based on those 3 miles (using McMillan) and then use that. Let me see what CP that gives me.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Doh, idiot here. Now it looks like I'm running my easy runs in Zone 2, BUT it jumped (finally) 9 points.

We shall see when I do my 4 miler next month (or my 5K). I still think I "could" break 30 minutes on the 5K.

Damaris

RunningOnSand

Doh, idiot here. Now it looks like I'm running my easy runs in Zone 2, BUT it jumped (finally) 9 points.

We shall see when I do my 4 miler next month (or my 5K). I still think I "could" break 30 minutes on the 5K.

all this is so interesting to me. I look forward to what it tells you, too!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Today I ran my easy run by effort and it ended up in zone 2 but only 6 above Zone 1 so that looks much better.

Damaris