Beginners and Beyond

WednesDAILIES: Old dogs New tricks (Read 35 times)

LRB

Hi.

My employer offered a one day sabbatical program where they pay you to not come to work and pay for a class of one's choice. Some people weren't interested but I had just three words:

SIGN ME UP!

I chose a Fred Pryor seminar; Dealing with difficult people. I'm pretty good in that area but what is life if we're not learning something new?

Anyway, I'll run after work.

Bye.

LRB

PS, I brought enough food to feed the entire class. lol #thingsthatrunnersdo

From the Internet.

Being paid to do non-work things on work time is ideal!

Me, I am still waking up and considering a nap before I can do work things. Got up early to get in the final track workout before the race - husband was supposed to go to an early meeting so I skipped my club workout and ran all alone, and of course he is still here. FIGURES. 1600, 1200/400, 800/800, full lap in between sets and ~90s jog within. Legs are feeling... ready to marathon I guess? Had a hard time hitting normal VO2max type paces but my heart rate was on the low side too. Didn't help that I had nobody to work with and it was dark and windy. Still, the intended purpose was to get in one more tough effort faster than MP, so, check, I guess.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

blue...thanks for the info on the shoes yesterday. I haven't been as clued in on the shoe scene as usual because I haven't been going through as many pairs, but I'm hoping that will change.

LRB...sounds like a great program to me. I'm not one to scoff at a chance to get out of the office.

Lauren...Nice job on the track workout. I feel like my sense of pace gets all thrown off when I'm in the dark.

Ended up getting a text from a friend as I was on the way to run last night asking me if he could join, so I changed plans and we hopped out for about 8.5 nice miles together. The friend is going through a separation right now, so I think he needs the company. He also just randomly ran 26 miles on Tuesday, so I think he's going a little stir crazy. Thank god for running.

Group run tonight - 6ish.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I have 6 miles tonight to test the swollen foot.  The foot is much better today but I will tape it.

My insurance OKd Serv Pro going to start the remediation process and they will probably start tomorrow, which means I have to hide the cats in one of my 300 bedrooms along with whatever I think it's valuable and leave them a key.  Fortunately, the house is pretty empty and full of boxes from the move so apart from the TV there is not much valuable in there except 5 furry babies.

Damaris

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

Paid not to work...that's the ticket! I'm going to try that on my employer who has trouble keeping employees cause of the (long) hours and (not so fun) atmosphere...ah, no, I'll just collect my check and go about business

ran 2 miles on my "off" day to see how the hammies felt. Super tight to start (9:36 1st mile) but loosened up and ran the second mile at a better pace (8:10) than my recent runs. I wanted to get my heart rate up and the second mile helped. Then did 20 minutes on the stationary bike alternating 1 minutes easy and 1 minute hard. Also worked for heart rate...then dd some upper body, core and stretching/foam rolling stuff that's supposed to be good for you.  Had some extra time today as my daughter is off school for Yom Kippur.  I like these mid-week holidays (at least for her)!

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

Morning!  I have 6 miles tonight to test the swollen foot.  The foot is much better today but I will tape it.

My insurance OKd Serv Pro going to start the remediation process and they will probably start tomorrow, which means I have to hide the cats in one of my 300 bedrooms along with whatever I think it's valuable and leave them a key.  Fortunately, the house is pretty empty and full of boxes from the move so apart from the TV there is not much valuable in there except 5 furry babies.

good luck on both!

6mi on the Scooby Doo Roller Coaster  with 3.7mi on dirt.

Elevation gain according to Nike app 667 feet but the longest hills only 0.09 miles.

PT at noon, followed by THE JOKER

sdWhiskers

8.3 miles with 8 x 800, 90s recovery jog/walk. Aimed for 4:15, averaged 4:12. Not sure what this tells me with 9 weeks to go. But I wasn't dying so that's always good.

DS's school doesn't get off for any religious holidays (except a winter break over Xmas). There's something like 25 or 28 different languages spoken at his elementary school so I think they don't chose any specific religions to align the calendar.

My employer pays for classes that can be done during work time. A few years ago, I took an online course at UCSD related to my job. Not for credit or anything, just to learn (I am a nerd).

DavePNW

As much as I hate work, I often end up hating training classes even more, if that's possible.

PS, I brought enough food to feed the entire class. lol #thingsthatrunnersdo

I assume what you meant was that you brought enough food that looks like it could feed the whole class, but was actually just your own snacks for the day. That's what runners do.

Dave

DavePNW

39 degrees this morning, making it long sleeve weather. Digging through the LS shirt pile...hey, what's this yellow one? That'll do. Took the Boston shirt on its maiden voyage, 10 miles, although a bit of a slog. I apparently tweaked my back at some point yesterday, so that was kind of bugging me, which was annoying.

Dave

DavePNW

Good job onemile on your 3:39 marathon!

Full: onemile (MLC) 3:39:20.42 @ Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon

Isn't this the second time you've gotten a race point while pacing?

Dave

onemile

Good job onemile on your 3:39 marathon!

Isn't this the second time you've gotten a race point while pacing?

yes, for the Strider half in August as well (same pace)

onemile

looks like I am not running London next spring 

DavePNW

looks like I am not running London next spring 

Sad! I didn't realize you applied. How does that work anyway - lottery? Qualifying time as well? Pretty tough to get in I know.

Dave