Beginners and Beyond

Hello SATURDAY! (wake up) (Read 34 times)

Half Crazy K 2.0

Rest day today.

Weather forecast for tomorrow isn't great. Any clothing suggestions? Race starts at 9, supposedly it will be 33 and cloudy. By 11, it's supposed to be light rain and high 30s. How the heck do you dress for that? It's a trail race, some pavement, nothing technical. I'm more than likely treating it as a long run.

onemile

Rest day today.

Weather forecast for tomorrow isn't great. Any clothing suggestions? Race starts at 9, supposedly it will be 33 and cloudy. By 11, it's supposed to be light rain and high 30s. How the heck do you dress for that? It's a trail race, some pavement, nothing technical. I'm more than likely treating it as a long run.

I would wear a light long sleeved shirt, light tights (possibly capris) and a light jacket if I were running easy

DavePNW

Rest day today.

Shorts, long sleeve shirt, and gloves. Maybe a second layer of short sleeves if you tend to run colder. Way too warm for a jacket imho. For the rain, wear a hat with a bill; keeping it out of your eyes makes all the difference.

Dave

DavePNW

Interesting article from today's WSJ, about how your brain can be tricked to improve athletic performance, particularly in endurance activities. I've always felt that one of the keys to racing (not that I'm any kind of expert) is when your brain is begging you to slow down, having the ability to tell it to STFU, and let your legs do what they're trained for.

Dave

Half Crazy K 2.0

I would wear a light long sleeved shirt, light tights (possibly capris) and a light jacket if I were running easy

Yea, this is about what I am thinking. My jacket is pretty warm, so I'm a bit worried about being too warm if the promised rain doesn't come. Of course, there is also the off chance we get snow instead.

Cyberic

Rest day today.

That is very difficult. Cold rain sucks the heat out of you. For real. I don't have an answer, but thankfully others do!

Cyberic

20 miles is a long way to go in that cold

Tell me about it. I was also going at a "brisk" pace, that ended up being slower than last week's LR brisk pace. The effort was definitely there.

GinnyinPA

HC - I'll have the same temperatures for my long run tomorrow, though in my case it is supposed to start with snow, change to sleet and end as rain. OTOH, none of it is supposed to happen until the second half of my run, so maybe it won't precipitate at all. My decision to wear a light jacket is the 10 mph wind in my face for the first 9 miles. What are the winds supposed to be for your race?

Half Crazy K 2.0

HC - I'll have the same temperatures for my long run tomorrow, though in my case it is supposed to start with snow, change to sleet and end as rain. OTOH, none of it is supposed to happen until the second half of my run, so maybe it won't precipitate at all. My decision to wear a light jacket is the 10 mph wind in my face for the first 9 miles. What are the winds supposed to be for your race?

Wind doesn't look too bad, plus, since it is mostly trail, there is some protection from it. I'm hoping it starts later.

Baboon

delicate flower

I am sure he is compensated handsomely, or at the very least, handsome and compensated.

Meh, it's part of the job.  My boss will never even know that I worked today.

I ran.  10 miles at the track.  I did a one mile warm up, then 6 x 1 mile at HMP (6:55) with half mile jogs in between.  7:12 avg for the run.  Not bad.  Now I have an hour to do on the bike trainer once lunch settles a little.

<3

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Interesting article from today's WSJ, about how your brain can be tricked to improve athletic performance, particularly in endurance activities. I've always felt that one of the keys to racing (not that I'm any kind of expert) is when your brain is begging you to slow down, having the ability to tell it to STFU, and let your legs do what they're trained for.

I have not mastered that.  And I agree.  It's mostly mental.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Wind doesn't look too bad, plus, since it is mostly trail, there is some protection from it. I'm hoping it starts later.

I also find that what you wear in a regular run is different than for a race.  So if a jacket for a run like that, maybe no jacket for the race.  I agree on the LS and gloves, a hat to cover your face from the race, shorts/skirt.  If it was raining the whole time, maybe the jacket would work but if it's rain at the end and maybe snow instead, the LS should be enough.

Damaris

onemile

Meh, it's part of the job.  My boss will never even know that I worked today.

Don't you know you are supposed to come up with some reason to email everyone who you want to know you are working on a Saturday, to make sure you get credit?

DavePNW

Don't you know you are supposed to come up with some reason to email everyone who you want to know you are working on a Saturday, to make sure you get credit?

This is how it's done.

6 miles.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Yes!

Damaris