Beginners and Beyond

Week 44 Penguins love their kitties!! (10/28-11/3) (Read 12 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Amazed to find that we're already putting a November date in the title.  Wow!!

Anyway, my show on Saturday was a rousing success, lots of fun had by all!!  We didn't all remember all of our lines, but the ad lib to cover usually came out funny, and nobody minded.  The music was quite good, and the quartet sounded good, so I'm all pleased with our performance.  I didn't get any pictures, being on stage, and DH didn't either because I made him run the videotape.  But if people come up with pictures, I'll capture and post.

Yoga, biking, check.  Super thrilled about the start of another, fun-filled week.  Several meetings, samples to run, planning to get my flu shot tomorrow.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

We sure love kiitties!!!

I have 8 miles tonight.  Maybe outside since we have a nice cool front until tomorrow (run in the 80s but low humidity).

HopesMom, congrats on the show and it's crazy how the year is basically gone.

Damaris

GinnyinPA

HM - I'm glad your show went well and you had fun.

D - Good luck with your run this afternoon. Low humidity feels so much better.

RD/xt for me. I'll probably do some biking and yoga later to loosen up. Nothing like starting a new training cycle hurting. Fortunately the first two weeks are lighter than I've been doing.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Enjoy the light day, Ginny.

I have to consider if I want to be outside at all but I want to.  The antibiotics I started Saturday night in advance of my root canal fix up Thursday is giving stomach issues every 2-3 hours.  Seems that running exacerbates it (as Sunday LR indicates). If I go outside, maybe I can do loops with Publix and the park nearby in case.  Sorry, TMI, lol.

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

So, Docket, how are your innards? 

Biking, check.  Yoga, check.  (Those should've been in reverse order.)  Flu shot, check.  I figured out yesterday that the reason one of my instruments won't calibrate is that it's out of argon, so I need to borrow a grad student and swap out the compressed gas tank.  Then I need to do a hundred other things, of course.  Talked to my sort of boss yesterday, and HIS new boss is planning to go over things with a fine-tooth comb.  My lab may wind up on the chopping block.  Nobody knows the time frame -- could be next year, could be five years from now.  So I'm making plans to expand my focus, in hopes that will help.  And if not, I'll figure out something else.  Maybe closer to home!!  Would suck for my new technician, though, if I can ever get my committee together to hire one.

GinnyinPA

They may want to wait on hiring until it's determined what will happen with the lab.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

My innards are still unhappy, but imodium is helping. Smile

I have 10 miles tonight.

HopesMom, sorry.  Hoping you know soon so they don't leave you in limbo.

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

They may want to wait on hiring until it's determined what will happen with the lab.

Nah, the dean has already approved the hire.  That's part of my weirdness -- my appointment and my personnel are handled through the chemistry department, while the Office of Research Resources oversees my lab.  So the chem department chair does my review, but ORR handles my billing and purchasing.  I'm very grey.  I'm never entirely sure who I'm supposed to report to.

Singer who runs a smidge

Yoga, biking, done.  My chain fell off my derailleur again yesterday afternoon, but I was close enough to the car that I just walked it the rest of the way.  DH reset my screws again, and it was clunky shifting this morning, but it did work.  The pavement I have to ride over to get to the nice, smooth, freshly paved road is pitted, rutted, and completely uneven.  It seems to be taking a toll on my trike.    I can't think of a good way around it either.  I don't want to ride on heavily-traveled roads with something as wide as my trike, and the sidewalks are no better than the roads, with a higher probability of mowing down a pedestrian.  I need to look at my local maps, see where some of the back streets lead.  Maybe I can find a way around the Road Of Doom.

And of course they can't re-pave that road, because it has the only access to the parking deck.  So they could only do it during winter break, which probably isn't a great time for paving. 

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Ugh, damn roads, Hope!

I have 9 miles tonight.

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

Well, this day is going swimmingly.  Skipped yoga this morning in favor of salad prep, so that I would have lunch for the next few days.  Started biking merrily in, and noted that my shifter was both clunky and unexpected -- kept shifting gears when I wasn't actually shifting gears.  And then once I got about 2/3 of the way in, *clunk* and the chain fell off again.

I think it's time to bring in the professionals, and planned to walk my little trike over to the university bike shop.  But I wasn't entirely sure where it was, so I hopped online to check.  Good thing I did, because it's not far from my lab, but it's closed on Thursdays.  Tomorrow it's supposed to rain all day.  So I guess I'll let DH have another whack at it over the weekend, and then hopefully he can get it back to "working enough" condition, and maybe I can bring it to the bike shop folks on Monday.  Which means I will have to hike out to pick up my car this evening, and then drive back in to pick up my bike.

Luckily I don't have chorus tonight (post-show break), so I don't have to worry so much about the time factor.

First-world problems, I guess. 

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Ugh. Hoping you get it fixed.

At the endodontist mis root canal fixing. He took a break so I am surfing the net wearing a green plastic tarp in my mouth.

Damaris

GinnyinPA

HM - I hope you can get the bike fixed. Can you just leave it in your office for the weekend?

D - good luck with the tooth. I hope this time it is fully fixed and the infection goes away.

Singer who runs a smidge

Hmm, I think I could, or I think I could leave it in the lab, but would rather not.  Richmond just isn't the most secure city around, and we've had nomads and homeless sleeping in our stairwells.  I haven't had my lab door kicked in lately, but it has happened.

Anyway, good luck D!!