Beginners and Beyond

Question on non-members reading race reports... (Read 45 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I usually put the link for my race reports here on my FB page for my FB friends to be able to read my whole descriptive race report.

However, when they try to open the link, it takes them not to the forum and my race report, but to the Running Ahead log-in page only.

Are only members now allowed to read my reports that I post here?  So any of my non-member friends must now join Running Ahead to read my reports?   Or is there a way to fix this?

Just curios.   Thanks for any info.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

LRB

I usually put the link for my race reports here on my FB page for my FB friends to be able to read my whole descriptive race report.

However, when they try to open the link, it takes them not to the forum and my race report, but to the Running Ahead log-in page only.

Are only members now allowed to read my reports that I post here?  So any of my non-member friends must now join Running Ahead to read my reports?   Or is there a way to fix this?

Just curios.   Thanks for any info.

Our group is open. We don't require one to be a member of it to read or post. Whether or not you have to be a member of Running Ahead to read or post is a question for Eric. We don't control any of that.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Thanks, LRB.  I am thinking maybe it is a Facebook thing.  I tried it from FB and FB took even me to the log-in page even though I am a member.

I tried using the link on my blog, and from my blog it took me right to where my report and photos are.   Crazy, huh?

So I think it is some kind of FB restriction, rule, or stupid thing...apparently, they don't want anyone using any kind of 'forum' except theirs....I guess they are trying to become a monopoly for social media, lol...

Again, LRB, thanks for the reply.

delicate flower

Scotty, you have to me a registered member of RA in order to read the posts in the user groups, such as B&B.  Any member of RA can read our forum...some groups don't allow that but ours does, as LRB mentioned.

So, anyone who doesn't join RA and tries to click your race report from facebook will just be brought to the RA registration page.  It's an RA thing, not a facebook thing.

<3

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

We have the group open to be able to be read and viewed without being registered.  Unless RA has changed it that you need an account before you read something, the person with the link should be able to go to forums and open our forum and read it.  But Scotty used to be able to link it directly to here and now it's just not doing it.  So yes, RA changed something that might require now registration.

Damaris

delicate flower

We have the group open to be able to be read and viewed without being registered.  Unless RA has changed it that you need an account before you read something, the person with the link should be able to go to forums and open our forum and read it.  But Scotty used to be able to link it directly to here and now it's just not doing it.  So yes, RA changed something that might require now registration.

Huh...how 'bout that.  It looks like RA just makes it difficult to direct link to his race reports.  I logged out of RA, then went to FB and clicked one of Scotty's race reports.  It took me to the RA login page.  You are right though that I can view the B&B if I search for the group and click the forum without logging in.  To read Scotty's report, you need to click his link, search for the B&B, then look for the race report.  Still looks an RA issue and not a FB issue.

Edit:  Actually even when I am logged in and click his FB link, it takes me to the RA login page.

<3

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I use FB notes for race reports for my FB friends.  Simple copy and paste between RA and FB.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Thanks, everyone for the information, much appreciated!

wcrunner:  FB notes?  I am not familiar with that.  Being a 'technology idiot', I tend to stick to the 'simple' things, lol, when I am on the web, forums, etc.   Where is FB notes?  Thanks!

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

wcrunner:  FB notes?  I am not familiar with that.  Being a 'technology idiot', I tend to stick to the 'simple' things, lol, when I am on the web, forums, etc.   Where is FB notes?  Thanks!

If you go to your profile page, there's a drop down box for More...  on the right under your cover photo.  On my profile that very last selection is Notes.  When creating a Note you can also specify who can see it.  For my race reports I select Public since I'm not FB friends with all my running friends.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

If you go to your profile page, there's a drop down box for More...  on the right under your cover photo.  On my profile that very last selection is Notes.  When creating a Note you can also specify who can see it.  For my race reports I select Public since I'm not FB friends with all my running friends.

Wow, thank you. I have been on the forums a long time and I never knew that.  Of course, I am pretty bad at paying attention, too.

Thanks!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

OK, stupid question...where is my profile page?  I went to my Accounts info page and that stuff, but I saw no drop down box on any of those pages...

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

OK, stupid question...where is my profile page?  I went to my Accounts info page and that stuff, but I saw no drop down box on any of those pages...

Click on your name instead of home. I'm on a PC so it will look different on a phone or tablet.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K