Beginners and Beyond

When Do You Retire Your Race Shoes? (Read 59 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I've got to be honest, I'm really just looking for an excuse to buy another pair of shoes 

But seriously, how many miles do you feel it is time to retire your race shoes, mainly marathoners. Okay, my MLR shoes have 280 mile, my LR shoes have 155 miles and my easy run shoes have 184 miles. My race shoes only have like 41 miles.

I just want an excuse to buy a new pair of shoes 

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

LRB

I pretty much begin MRT with a new pair of shoes (or not very old) and by the end of it ditch those and wear a fresh pair for the race.

That fresh pair then becomes my training shoe for the next cycle and the routine repeats itself.

I am kind of different from some in that my marathon race shoe is also my racing shoe for all other distances, so I get quite a bit of use from them.

My current pair have 192 miles on them and are fine. The pair before them have 308 miles on them and although I would not race a marathon in them, they would be fine for training.

onemile

I don't need excuses. I buy whatever I want.

And I'm not really sure what you're asking. I don't have 'race' shoes. I have easy runs shoes, long/tempo run shoes, short speedwork shoes. I wear the long/tempo run shoes for marathon day. I prefer to wear a fresher pair with 100 or fewer miles.  I retire my shoes around 300 miles.

happylily

Like LRB, my race shoes eventually become training shoes. I will race in a pair of shoes that has up to 200 miles. Then i continue training in them for up to 600-700 miles. I've even done 1000 miles in a few pairs.  I have about 6 or 7 pairs at the moment. I rotate them and I expect they will last me a while. I know that shoes are important, but I can't say that I'm into them.  I'll tell you a little secret: I stopped logging which shoes I use for my runs about a mionth ago. I've gone rogue, I guess. We'll see what happens eventually.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I retire all my shoes at around 300-350.

Damaris

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

My race shoes eventually become training shoes, but I like my current race shoes and they've only got 41 miles. I want to retire my MLR shoes, hell I just want a new pair lol.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

My race shoes eventually become training shoes, but I like my current race shoes and they've only got 41 miles. I want to retire my MLR shoes, hell I just want a new pair lol.

Then buy a new pair woman!

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Then buy a new pair woman!

I can't decide between the two dang it.

or these

Help me decide damn it!

PRs

onemile

You have a model you only use for medium long runs?? 

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

You have a model you only use for medium long runs?? 

No, that same model is also used for easy runs but I still label it. This new one will be for my long runs, I like to have the freshest pair for long runs, and then two pairs switching back and forth between easy and MLR. I'm weird like this.

PRs

bluerun

Super B****

I retire shoes when they tell me they need to be retired.  But I also don't wait for that to buy new ones, since I have a compulsive shoe-buying problem.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

LRB

I retire shoes when they tell me they need to be retired.  But I also don't wait for that to buy new ones, since I have a compulsive shoe-buying problem.

I have a compulsive anything running related buying problem. lol

Which truth be told, isn't a problem at all. Big grin

bluerun

Super B****

I have a compulsive anything running related buying problem. lol

Which truth be told, isn't a problem at all. Big grin

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

My boring shoe habits are well known. I just rotate 2 pair & replace each with another of the same model when they hit 450-500. (Average on the 12 shoes in my equipment log = 469.)

My "race shoes" are used for all distances. In training I wear them for speed work & MP runs, the other pair is used for LRs, and easy runs are a mix. There is no particular logic other than I've randomly decided one model are my faster shoes.

I don't have any rule for how many miles they should have on race day but I suppose I should. Current pair will have about 120, which is probably fine. I also have a brand new pair in case I change my mind. I used to assume you need to break them in, but is that really true anymore?

Dave

I have a compulsive anything running related buying problem. 

Other than shoes I hardly buy a damn thing. The only shirts I ever run in are race shirts. New pair of shorts maybe once a year. And I keep getting more socks as gifts. I've had to buy some winter gear, but I guess I won't have to worry about that much anymore. I did buy a new Garmin a few months ago, so there's that.

Dave