Beginners and Beyond

2020 Dailies #190 (Read 27 times)

onemile

my boss's boss just invited the whole department to her daughter's graduation party. which she is having in the basement of her home.  she really wants to give her daughter the graduation party that she wants because she will have to miss her graduation ceremony this year due to COVID.  

DavePNW

Dog woke me up at 4:45, so took the opportunity to have the 2nd cup of pre-run coffee, and extend the run a bit vs. originally plan. Ran 10 miles with 8x800m. First 6 reps were meh, but I guess that was just a warmup because I hammered the last two. So I felt good about that.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

my boss's boss just invited the whole department to her daughter's graduation party. which she is having in the basement of her home.  she really wants to give her daughter the graduation party that she wants because she will have to miss her graduation ceremony this year due to COVID.  

WTF

Damaris

DavePNW

This time of year, they couldn’t possibly have it outside?? And yeah I’m sure the graduation party her daughter wants is one with all mom’s coworkers. MTA: I suppose it is because that’s how the cash rolls in, especially when the guests are all mom’s subordinates.

Dave

sdWhiskers

So many things wrong with this.

sdWhiskers

9 miles

Was thinking I'd do 3-4 miles at MP but was a bit all over with 2 at HMP and 4 at ~MP. That's what happens when I just run and ignore the watch. AND I beat the full sun this morning so that helped.

DavePNW

Cheaterflys 

Someone help me since I haven't followed too closely. There's the Alphafly Next% and the Vaporfly 4%, right? Is the former just the newer/better version of the latter? Is it really that much better? Looks like they went up from $250 to $275, but the older ones are discounted, if they can actually be found.

Dave

Cyberic

Now that is weird. If I were 18 YO, I would not want random adults from my parents' work places as the crowd for my party.

MTA: I just saw everyone else's feelings towards this. All good!

Half Crazy K 2.0

Wow.

onemile

Someone help me since I haven't followed too closely. There's the Alphafly Next% and the Vaporfly 4%, right? Is the former just the newer/better version of the latter? Is it really that much better? Looks like they went up from $250 to $275, but the older ones are discounted, if they can actually be found.

The Alphafly, the Next% and the 4% - all different models. The Next% is the newer/better version of the 4%.  The Alphafly is its own shoe that is not a replacement for the Next%.  The Alphafly is slightly heavier and more cushioned than the Next%.  It also has a 4mm drop vs the 8mm of the Next%.  It also comes in women's sizes and the carbon fiber plate is scaled to the size of the shoe - so a lighter runner will have a more flexible plate vs a stiffer one for a bigger size runner.

I have not run in mine yet but they also feel snugger in the heel and bigger in the toebox (not sure if this is the difference in having women's sizing or what but the Next% heel always felt slippy to me)

(Also to add, the Next% is far superior to the 4% and even at a discount I wouldn't buy the 4%)

Baboon

delicate flower

Also the Alphafly is what Kipchoge wore when he broke 2:00.  This is the first time they've been available to purchase.

<3

DavePNW

The Alphafly, the Next% and the 4% - all different models. The Next% is the newer/better version of the 4%.  The Alphafly is its own shoe that is not a replacement for the Next%.  The Alphafly is slightly heavier and more cushioned than the Next%.  It also has a 4mm drop vs the 8mm of the Next%.  It also comes in women's sizes and the carbon fiber plate is scaled to the size of the shoe - so a lighter runner will have a more flexible plate vs a stiffer one for a bigger size runner.

I have not run in mine yet but they also feel snugger in the heel and bigger in the toebox (not sure if this is the difference in having women's sizing or what but the Next% heel always felt slippy to me)

Thanks. The Nike website shows the "Air Zoom Alphafly Next%". I'm probably not buying any time soon, especially with no races on the horizon, but just thinking about it. I've never worn shoes with <8mm drop, maybe it'd be fine but IDK.

Dave

onemile

Also the Alphafly is what Kipchoge wore when he broke 2:00.  This is the first time they've been available to purchase.

which is why I was surprised that they are a little heavier than the Next% but apparently they give more cushion/protection so may be better over the longer distances. they are also supposed to have more energy return 

Cyberic

(Also to add, the Next% is far superior to the 4% and even at a discount I wouldn't buy the 4%)

Although I'm not interested in buying shoes this expensive, I find your explanation interesting.

As for the Endorphin Pros, much cheaper, but not noticing an improvement in my workouts. But since I have them, I will use them. Right now, though, the two times I have worn them has left my legs feeling unusual pains and aches, so my old body needs some adaptation before I wear them for a 26 mile race.

onemile

I've never worn shoes with <8mm drop, maybe it'd be fine but IDK.

yeah, I have worn 4mm drop shoes in the past (Saucony) for a couple years, even for marathons and had no problems. Until I did with the Kinvara and stopped wearing any lower drop shoes. So I don't know if it will work for me... I am half tempted to just sell them for a couple hundred dollars profit on ebay.   but I kinda want to try them because I think they are supposed to be most beneficial to women runners with the sized down plate.