Beginners and Beyond

Layering Up (Read 92 times)

cloark

My spreadsheet with times and distances for each run also has temperature, windchill/heat index and dew point.  I then have a column for each item of clothing I might wear on a run (tights, pants, shorts, short sleeve tech t, long sleeve tech t, gloves, hat, etc., etc.) and I stick a '1' in the appropriate column for each thing I wear on a given run.  It takes an extra 5 seconds once you've set it up.

Then, on a separate sheet, I have all that data compiled and a spot up at the top where I can enter a given temperature or wind chill.  The spreadsheet searches for all runs that happened within 2 degrees of that temperature (say today is 17 degrees, because it was when I woke up and decided to play basketball rather than run) I enter in that temperature and it looks up all the runs that I've ever done between 15 and 19 degrees and averages what I wore.  Thus, I can see what worked in the past and choose accordingly.  (One this second sheet I adjust some of the numbers from old runs if I noted that I was particularly under or over dressed, so I don't make the same mistakes again.)  After after a couple of fall/winter/spring cycles, I've got data points at almost every conceivable temperature above 10 degrees.  Below 10 degrees the answer is easy: wear everything you own.

C'mon, I thought you guys were running fanatics here?  How can you possibly run without spreadsheets to tell you how you're doing?

Love the Half

Just as it takes time to get used to warmer temps, it takes time to get used to colder temps as well.  Thus, the amount of clothing you'll need for 35 degrees in November may be different from what you'd need in February.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

music_girl117

cloark, that is FANTASTIC.  I'm geeky enough to do something like that, but I had never thought of it.  I've got a project for Thanksgiving break now.

As for me, today, it was 44 and sunny.  I had a long sleeve tech shirt, loose pants (not tights, some kind of general cotton sports pants I've had for ages), and a ballcap.  I skipped gloves, which was ok, but my hands were definitely cold by the end.  Would have been fine without the gloves for a short run, but I was out there for an hour and 24 minutes.

PRs:

5k - 22:53  (May 2015)

10k - 50:00 (unofficial; part of 20k race, March 2015); 50:33 (official; July 2016)

HM - 1:48:40  (Apr. 2015)

Every year when the weather turns cold it take me a while to get into sync with what to wear at different temperatures.

I've tried putting notes with my workouts, but that's too hard to go back and find, so I thought I'd just start a thread.  Most likely I'll be the only one here, but that's OK - feel free to join in.

Today was sunny, no wind, and the temp was about 40.

Wore warm up pants, medium weight smart wool, short sleve cotton t, gloves, no hat.

Too much.  Shorts would have been OK, just the smart wool, or even a light weight smart wool.  Gloves were OK.

It takes about 2 wks to adjust to cold, same as heat. Sun angle may have a lot to do with heat perception as well as sun reflection off bright snow.

If you keep your notes about clothes and weather with your workout, all you should have to do is sort by temperature or date to find that info. The process of writing things down will help you remember. When I first started, I had a fairly detailed data set on what I wore under what conditions. I've been through enough seasons and not much in way of new clothes, that I know what to wear when without keeping track.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
          FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Sometimes I'll wake up with a weird, inner "chill" in my bones (I have no idea why). Almost as if my body knows and doesn't want to leave the bed  Even if it is only 30-35 degrees, I'll end up wearing tights, thickish socks that rise above the ankle, my thin long sleeve undershirt and one moisture wicking long sleeve over that if I am only running less than 40 minutes because I know I'll barely warm up by the time I am finished. I'll also have something over my ears.

40-30 (unless feeling the chill) - capris, just a t-shirt with gloves if it is closer to 40, or my thin long sleeve undershirt along with a t-shirt and gloves if it is closer to 30.

30-20: tights, thick socks that rise above ankles, long sleeve undershirt, long sleeve moisture wicking shirt, a headband thingy to cover my ears, gloves.

20-10: Same thing for 30-20 but also probably something to cover my mouth and nose, or even a full head mask thingy, possibly thicker gloves and socks that come over my calves.

10 and below: All the above, possibly a windbreaker jacket or something, and last year I wore another pair of pants over my tights when I ran in temps below 0

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

LRB

C'mon, I thought you guys were running fanatics here?  How can you possibly run without spreadsheets to tell you how you're doing?

The possibilities with the running log here are endless, I do not track that particular running metric however because I know this of myself:

From about 27 degrees F to about 45 degrees I can race my absolute best, regardless of the distance.  Anything outside of those numbers and it depends on the distance being raced.  If it's over 70 forget it, ditto under 15.  The one exception to racing over 70 is the mile.

No more marathons

LRB – Gloves – I have two pair, one light weight underarmour and a cheap cotton that they handed out at the Asheville Biltmore marathon in 2013 when the wind chill was in the single digits.  Neither work in really cold weather and I usually pull my fingers  out of the finger holes into a fist to keep warm.

Arm warmers – how are they better than just a long sleeve shirt (other than, yea, them shits look fly?)

DtotheT – your breakout is what I want to get to.  Had that down pat in my head last year, wish I had written it down.

Cyberic – don’t think I’ve ever run in a Jacket.  (One exception being the marathon mentioned above).  If memory serves me correctly, my normal run layering max is three – base is a medium weight smart wool, next a long sleeve t (either tech or cotton) and last a short sleeve cotton.

Cloark – looks like Eric has taken care of that for us now.  Didn’t realize you could sort/search on temp range.  (thanks AKTrail).  Problem is, I didn’t make notes last year, and the auto temp feature wasn’t in place most of last winter and I didn’t input that data.

AKTrail – see above.  And yes, angle of sun makes a big difference.  Fortunately I do most of my runs at lunch time so what sun there is is mostly overhead.  So a sunny day 35 is a good 5 to 10 degrees “feel like” over a cloudy 35.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

tracilynn

planning for the wind is the toughest part. The wind can make or break an outfit.

~~~~~~~

Traci

LRB

Arm warmers – how are they better than just a long sleeve shirt (other than, yea, them shits look fly?)

Heat is my number one limiting factor so it has more to do with that than anything.

Where racing is concerned, I get extremely hot despite the fact that I may be running in 32 degrees F. I am sure there is some coefficient value pertaining to heat generated and its effect on pace and all of that jazz but simply put, having my shoulders and outer chest exposed provides just that little extra cooling where wearing a long sleeve top might have me on fire.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Heat is my number one limiting factor so it has more to do with that than anything.

Where racing is concerned, I get extremely hot despite the fact that I may be running in 32 degrees F. I am sure there is some coefficient value pertaining to heat generated and its effect on pace and all of that jazz but simply put, having my shoulders and outer chest exposed provides just that little extra cooling where wearing a long sleeve top might have me on fire.

This.  I feel less warm when I wear sleeveless and arm warmers than short sleeves and arm warmer and LS.  Even SS and arm warmers feel better than a LS because you can always roll them down.

Damaris

tracilynn

Arm warmers let your arm pits breathe. 

I like them because you can push them down if you get too warm.

~~~~~~~

Traci

GinnyinPA

When I really don't have a clue what to wear, I go to the Runners World What to Wear website

http://www.runnersworld.com/what-to-wear.

It helps, especially when there is wind or overcast vs. sun and still or racing vs. easy running.

I usually use polypro gloves and a fleece headband when it's cold, unless it's really cold.  I sometimes use a fleece vest since my core needs extra help more than my arms.

I haven't run yet below 30ish degrees.  When it's colder than that, I stay on the TM.  It isn't usually colder than that here in the afternoons, which is when I run.  Given the early start to winter though, I will probably need to rethink that or I'll be on the TM for the next four months.

outoftheblue

I agree there is a hardening off period in the fall, while your body acclimates to the cold.  It's been a really warm, sunny fall in California, and most of my runs over the last month have been high 60s/low 70s  and sunny.    Today is was  in the 50s, overcast with a light wind.  I wore a tank and shorts and was surprised at how cold I was, especially my hands,  the first few miles.  Even by the end, I really wasn't warm.  I felt like such a wimp.

Life is good.

Zelanie

43 and sunny today according to RA log, although there was still ice in the shady spots.  I wore tights, LS tech tee, zip up tech jacket, fleece cap, and mittens.  It was about perfect, except for the mittens, which were mostly off after mile 2.  The zipper jacket was good because it was still cold in the shade, but I could zip it down in the sunny spots.  Still running sloth-paced runs, though, so I have to bundle up.

low 30's this AM -- long sleeve tech, thin tee, another long sleeve, tech half zip windbreaker.  Tuque, wool gloves.  Lined wind pants.  For recovery pace, perfect.  Would have been way hot for a quality run though.