Beginners and Beyond

MonDAILIES from Times Square (Read 37 times)

sdWhiskers

Only 4 miles which felt odd. I had so much extra time to get ready for work. And only used headlamp for half the run! HM on Sunday so this will be a cutback week. Training has been going really well but at the same time, I'm looking forward to less miles this week.

Doing a bunch of interviews at work over the next 2 weeks. For those of you that do this, what's your favorite interview question(s)?

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I hate getting standard useless questions during interviews. Things that really don't matter to the position.  I do like whenever the interviewee finds something from my resume and asks me a direct question about it.  Like oh, you speak French?  Tell me about that.  Or wow, you are a classical pianist, when did you start, etc?

Better than so tell me about yourself and what are you strengths.  I hate those questions because I never feel like I can answer them well.

Damaris

Cyberic

I hate getting standard useless questions during interviews. Things that really don't matter to the position.  I do like whenever the interviewee finds something from my resume and asks me a direct question about it.  Like oh, you speak French?  Tell me about that.  Or wow, you are a classical pianist, when did you start, etc?

Better than so tell me about yourself and what are you strengths.  I hate those questions because I never feel like I can answer them well.

If it comes to the discussion that I have skydived, then the interview often goes that way. And like you, I find that useless.

DavePNW

Doing a bunch of interviews at work over the next 2 weeks. For those of you that do this, what's your favorite interview question(s)?

I assume you mean favorite to give, rather than receive, right? 

It depends on the position. But generally I look at the key competencies required, and ask them to walk through a specific example of how they've done that in previous position, including their thought process & why they did what they did.

I've never asked any bizarro Google-style questions.

Dave

sdWhiskers

I assume you mean favorite to give, rather than receive, right? 

It depends on the position. But generally I look at the key competencies required, and ask them to walk through a specific example of how they've done that in previous position, including their thought process & why they did what they did.

I've never asked any bizarro Google-style questions.

Correct. I do enough of these that I'm always open to improving. And likewise, I don't ask anything bizarro.

Yeah, I usually ask them to take me through the thought process for their background (candidates have usually done scientific research at multiple places and have multiple degrees). There are a few guys in my group that get great joy out of "grilling" them on technical knowledge so I usually focus more on 'Will they fit well in our team'. We get lists of lame HR questions to ask but usually avoid that.

We used to have someone that would basically ask candidates if the xyz instrument broke while you were using it, what would you do. Surprising how many folks gave answers like "leave it for someone else to fix"

Cyberic

We used to have someone that would basically ask candidates if the xyz instrument broke while you were using it, what would you do. 

Questions I like to ask others when I interview them are a bit like the one quoted. I find that an excellent question. Their skills should be in their resume. In the interview I want to know the kind of person they are. First, are they bullshitters and their resume is fake has to be answered so a few tech questions are a must, but also the type of person I have in front of me is ultra important. Tech skills can be taught, whereas idiots or self-centered (can't find a good word in English) can't be redeemed.

DavePNW

I've got an e-mail to my coach asking about my marathon goal.  My 5K the other day sure was a huge confidence boost, after a series of BLAH races.  I needed a good race like that, and I am glad I ran it.   

Please report back! I'm still thinking around 3:05. Not that I have any idea what I'm talking about.

You have however made me think about a doing a 5k or 10k race, either this weekend or next. Get a marathon predictor as well as take advantage of marathon fitness. It would mess with the training schedule, but of course would be treated as a workout & adjust around it. IDK, we'll see. There are 5k's every Saturday I could do, and a 5k/10k on 11/17 (2 weeks out).

Dave

Half Crazy K 2.0

Whiskers, I like to ask why they are interested in the position and company, what they liked and disliked about past jobs. If I tell someone the job is doing a lot of A, B and C, you'd be surprised how frequently someone will say they hated doing A at their last job.

Cyberic

I've got an e-mail to my coach asking about my marathon goal.  My 5K the other day sure was a huge confidence boost, after a series of BLAH races.  I needed a good race like that, and I am glad I ran it.   

Aren't you going to do whatever you want whatever you coach tells you?

From the Internet.

Have a good run. I love to split those things up early in the cycle and then later on try to tackle them as one.

That is a good point and thus I opted to break it up - no need to go too crazy right away with a whole winter of training and racing ahead of me!

3 mi up, 4x1 mi T with 90 sec jog, cooldown to 10 total. 6:57 (I suspect GPS fuckery under tree cover - I'm leaning more and more toward getting a Stryd finally because there are SO MANY stretches of my usual routes that have wonky GPS traces after the fact), 6:43 (downhill), 6:53 (slight uphill), 6:38 (pure joy and love of running, what a sappy mfer I am lol).

Baboon

delicate flower

Please report back! I'm still thinking around 3:05. Not that I have any idea what I'm talking about.

You have however made me think about a doing a 5k or 10k race, either this weekend or next. Get a marathon predictor as well as take advantage of marathon fitness. It would mess with the training schedule, but of course would be treated as a workout & adjust around it. IDK, we'll see. There are 5k's every Saturday I could do, and a 5k/10k on 11/17 (2 weeks out).

That is what my gut is telling me too.  Coach tends to be a little more aggressive with my goals though, so we'll see.  Yeah the marathon predictor was nice, and at the very least it helped put my mind at ease that the horrible HM I ran a few weeks ago was just an anomaly.  You ran a good HM less than a month ago, so at least you've got that to gauge your fitness by.  I would say go run another race though, because they are fun even though they suck.

<3

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

For this position, they asked me a lot of questions about chapter 11 cases, since I did have a ton of cases in Miami as compared to here so it was nice to tell them about my giant chapter 11 case and what pleadings and objections are filed.  But that has not been a standard question at interviews in my experience.

Richard just had some interviews and they were like tell us your weaknesses and strengths. He never does well with that.

Damaris

Baboon

delicate flower

I don't have any.  I honestly hate interviewing people.  I don't ask any interesting questions because I really don't care...I stick to their work experience and job duties.  I let HR ask all of those touchy-feely questions and ask their feedback when I get down to one or two final candidates.

<3

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Having said that, I got my first chapter 11 here last Friday.  I think the other two attorneys were ecstatic I was finally assigned to the roster, since I'm "allegedly" the resident chapter 11 expert.

Damaris

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

That is a good point and thus I opted to break it up - no need to go too crazy right away with a whole winter of training and racing ahead of me!

3 mi up, 4x1 mi T with 90 sec jog, cooldown to 10 total. 6:57 (I suspect GPS fuckery under tree cover - I'm leaning more and more toward getting a Stryd finally because there are SO MANY stretches of my usual routes that have wonky GPS traces after the fact), 6:43 (downhill), 6:53 (slight uphill), 6:38 (pure joy and love of running, what a sappy mfer I am lol).

Nice workout! Looks like you did a great job with it.

Dave...I say get after it and put that fitness to good use!

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn