Beginners and Beyond

Picnicking Penguins Thursday (Read 17 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

June 18th is Go Fishing Day, National Sushi Day and International Picnic Day!

Penguin Picnic!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Today is my Thriday, as tomorrow it is once again for my injections for my spinal arthritis, so after those I will be home all day taking it easy.  By Saturday I will be good to go and will be doing my 31st race of the year, the Dos Rios 5K Splash and Dash:

"Enjoy 2 beautiful rivers and 3 parks along our great route on this new run.  The fifth annual Dos Rios Splash and Dash 5K will benefit the New Braunfels Parks Foundation.   Two options on the 5K.  You can just run the roads or for an additional challenge you can run the roads and tube through the chute.  Awards are given for each category of race.   You will run from Cypress Bend Park to Prince Solms Park and then back to Cypress Bend Park.  For the chute challenge, when you get to Prince Solms park you will grab a tube and float the river through the tube chute.  You will then continue the rest of your run."

I will just be doing the 'dry' run only, since the water motion in those tubes and chutes tends to kick up my vertigo....and I'm sure the race marshals don't want to have to save some old guy from the tubes, lol.

Nice run/walk yesterday after work in Brackenridge Park.  Started a little after 5 PM.  Skies were dark, rain threatening; temp about 86 or so, but a nice breeze blowing.  Thought I was going to beat the rain, but with about a half-mile to go the skies opened up on me. By that point, though, the rain was actually quite refreshing.  3.5 miles done.  After I got back to the Y and showered and changed, when I came out to go to my car, the lightning show was really going on!  Glad THAT didn't happen while I was out running!

From the Internet.

Morning! Racing Sunday so ran a longish-medium-long run this morning. 12.08 miles, 9:19 average pace, easy effort. I'm still sort of shocked or concerned or something at the way my easy pace dropped like a rock a few weeks ago.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, all!!  I am hella sleepy this morning -- getting up at 5 for PT takes its toll on Thursday morning (after quartet late night) and Friday morning (after chorus late night).  But it's what I love, so it's all good.  I think I will finally have a calm day at work after getting through a rush of samples.  It might be a momentary calm, though -- I've had several investigators ask about sending samples next week.  Woo-hoo!!

Scotty -- Sorry the tubes don't work for you, they sound like fun!!  Take it easy tomorrow!

Lauren -- I bet it's nice to have your easy pace suddenly be faster!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

PADRunner

7 this morning. Not as much rain as expected from Bill yesterday but still took a RD.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning all.  I did 4.2 at a slightly harder than easy effort this morning.  If DH runs this evening I'll join him for whatever he does as well.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Afternoon!  Ran 12 on the TM early this morning and working from home today.  Busy day for me.

Scotty, nice job.

Lauren, congrats on the pace drop.  My pace drops are so minimal, I don't even notice.

Hope, glad you had fun at PT.  Do you know when you'll restart walking/running?

PAD, nice 7.

sapf, enjoy the double if you get to it.

Damaris

hog4life

$7115.00 dollars later and a new A/C will be installed tomorrow morning!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Stanley Cup celebration luncheon at work today, but I avoid buffets before running.  

GinnyinPA

Mitch - ouch!  At least you don't have to wait too long.

Scotty - that sounds like a fun race.  You can always just jump in the river at the end of your run to cool off.  Good luck with the shots tomorrow.

Lauren - nice to see the drop in pace.  Mine seems to have gotten worse, but then, it's a lot hotter now than it was before my last race.

HM - have fun at rehearsal tonight.  You're doing well to get up so early to do your PT.

PAD - I'm glad you didn't get flooded this time around.

sapf - you must be feeling better.  Good.

Damaris - I'm glad you got your run done early.

AFM:  we got rained on while walking the dog, but now it is just really humid, with  DPs in the 70's.  I think I'll run indoors because I was having a hard time breathing out there.

tracilynn

Morning y'all

I ran 4.4 this morning at 6:30am. It was 72 dewpoint and it was pretty miserable.  I ran in the shady areas as much as I could too but it was still yucky.  Blah. I seem to overheat easily.

Im running with the Ainsley Angels Saturday 

~~~~~~~

Traci

Singer who runs a smidge

Hope, glad you had fun at PT.  Do you know when you'll restart walking/running?

IDK.  The psycho-therapist (see what I did there?) that I saw last week said I could start walking, as long as I went out and bought myself some really good-quality walking shoes and possibly orthotics.  Needless to say, I'm never heading down that road.  But I think I'll walk this weekend with DH and Dusty and see how it feels.  If it doesn't hurt, then ta-da, I've started walking again!!  Running is still a bit down the road, I think.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

$7115.00 dollars later and a new A/C will be installed tomorrow morning!

Ouch!

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

IDK.  The psycho-therapist (see what I did there?) that I saw last week said I could start walking, as long as I went out and bought myself some really good-quality walking shoes and possibly orthotics.  Needless to say, I'm never heading down that road.  But I think I'll walk this weekend with DH and Dusty and see how it feels.  If it doesn't hurt, then ta-da, I've started walking again!!  Running is still a bit down the road, I think.

Hoping for some progress this weekend.

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

I'm going to translate that as "I hope you get your frickin' lazy butt off the couch and out the door this weekend!!"  Because that's really what I need at this point ...