Beginners and Beyond

Sharing misery on the disabled list (Read 333 times)

tracilynn

This place sucks. I hate this place!

~~~~~~~

Traci

Cyberic

I just thought of something; maybe I could try some run/walk thing instead of doing nothing? A 9/1 pattern?

Hip Redux

Cyberic - if rest hasn't helped, a doctor or PT is your next best option.  Otherwise, you could waste more time doing the wrong things to heal.

My two symptoms of my hip issue was groin pain and pain where my glute and hamstrings meet, basically near my sit bone.  And actually, your symptoms are all things that could start with the hip (....or any number of things).   Guessing at what's wrong and what you need to fix doesn't really get you far after the normal rest period fails.

Hip Redux

This place sucks. I hate this place!

+100

Half Crazy K 2.0

My heel/foot hurt. I actually took 3 days off this week because even walking around at work hurt. Was this a new thing? Um, no. It started hurting (on & off) in November when I walked up to another building at work in non-athletic shoes. So I "treated" it by increasing mileage  And my left ass cheek hurts. Pretty sure that isn't helping the left heel, since I had a similar issue on the right side a few years ago. SI joint.

Cyberic, I echo what Oski says. See a PT or sports med doc.When I had this issue on the right side, I guessed it was ITBS and did all the hip strengthening stuff, which did nothing to help what was being caused by a weak core. Once I started being diligent about the core work, the ass pain (and foot pain) eventually went away. At least until I stopped being diligent about the core work  Oh, for guys, I've heard you should not sit with your wallet in your back pocket.

ETA, when I had this issue before, my LRS store had an injury clinic, where licensed PT (they also have these events with other medical professionals) came in & did a brief assessment. Not the same level as you would get from a real appointment, but it worked for me.

Cyberic

Cyberic - if rest hasn't helped, a doctor or PT is your next best option.  Otherwise, you could waste more time doing the wrong things to heal.

My two symptoms of my hip issue was groin pain and pain where my glute and hamstrings meet, basically near my sit bone.  And actually, your symptoms are all things that could start with the hip (....or any number of things).   Guessing at what's wrong and what you need to fix doesn't really get you far after the normal rest period fails.

I hear you. But you have no idea how I like doing things my way. I might do as you suggest though, as I change my mind about 3 times a day because I'm going crazy with this. But my take on this now is that if my body can't withstand running, I'm not going to insist, and just find something else to keep me busy. I run because it's fun and simple. If it gets complicated (seeing a PT is complicated), I'll start playing tennis or something. What is driving me crazy is that I have an objective, and that this injury might seriously compromise the whole thing.

LRB

What sucks about my injury is that I don't know I have it until I start running. My butt hurts a bit, all over, because of the squats I started doing, but that's all right, it's normal DOMS. Then, after a couple of miles, the sharp pain at the base of the butt (high hamstring tendon from what I understand). That is what stopped/slowed me from running in the first place.

But I also have multiple issues that I was running through: I've been complaining  about my groin for over a year, but I think it's the adductors (abductors? ... the ones inside). Lower back is aching some at times. Lower abdominals.  I think the sciatic has a bit of inflammation also. It seems that I have new aches because I'm NOT running.

A lot of what you are dealing with is a fact of life where marathon race training is concerned. These are things that many of us have been dealing with for years once the decision to chase marathon glory has been made. It is one of the reasons that those of us who run them say it's stupid. lol

I know you have stated that you do not need a physical therapist or massage therapist, but the deeper you delve into MRT the higher the chance you will. If you are somehow able to just drop MRT on account of not wanting to see a PT or MT, you will be one of the very few who not only can do that, but who have actually done it.

As far as exercises, there is no end. I mostly do one legged squats, leg swings, bridges and a shit ton of core work on a stability ball and BOSU, hip work and dynamic stretches. For runners, the key is usually getting your feet in the air and working your core, as well as working on single leg balance. Among other things...

happylily

I hear you. But you have no idea how I like doing things my way. I might do as you suggest though, as I change my mind about 3 times a day because I'm going crazy with this. But my take on this now is that if my body can't withstand running, I'm not going to insist, and just find something else to keep me busy. I run because it's fun and simple. If it gets complicated (seeing a PT is complicated), I'll start playing tennis or something. What is driving me crazy is that I have an objective, and that this injury might seriously compromise the whole thing.

Cy, I have the same attitude. I remember when I had to stop running completely for two months due to a sudden bout of plantar fasciitis. It was not a matter of reducing the mileage, it was that I could NOT run at all. Even walking was painful. I waited three weeks before seeing a PT. Then I started some sessions with them, twice a week, for like 3 weeks. I have no insurance for that, it was killing my wallet. I stopped three weeks later because I could see no improvement and the PT was telling me to run with my butt pushed in and my hips forward and it made no fucking sense to me. I made up my mind then. If my body refused to run, then I was not going to try redoing its whole mechanic by spending hours on boring exercises that sometimes can make things worse. I lived without running for many years, I could do it again. A rowing machine is just as much fun to me as a TM is. But nothing equals racing, that's why I run. And if my body becomes unable to train correctly, then I'm out of the sport.

But the main point of all this is that I was unable to run for two months and then one day, I woke up and the pain had gone away entirely. I ran 7 more marathons after that and never had to change my body mechanics and never had another injury (except for the recent weird chafing, but it's now gone). So there is hope for you. I think that you are a case of too much too soon. You need to let a few body parts rest and heal, then start again, but dial down the training a bit. You have many years ahead of you. LTH is 52 and runs 2:59 marathons, you will too.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Cyberic

A lot of what you are dealing with is a fact of life where marathon race training is concerned. These are things that many of us have been dealing with for years once the decision to chase marathon glory has been made. It is one of the reasons that those of us who run them say it's stupid. lol

I know you have stated that you do not need a physical therapist or massage therapist, but the deeper you delve into MRT the higher the chance you will. If you are somehow able to just drop MRT on account of not wanting to see a PT or MT, you will be one of the very few who not only can do that, but who have actually done it.

As far as exercises, there is no end. I mostly do one legged squats, leg swings, bridges and a shit ton of core work on a stability ball and BOSU, hip work and dynamic stretches. For runners, the key is usually getting your feet in the air and working your core, as well as working on single leg balance. Among other things...

I'm not saying I'm smart about this. That is just how I am. Sometimes time proves I was right, sometimes it proves I should have taken the advice given. What I see is that PTs don't seem to fix people up. If it did, they would be done with it. But people who consult for running injuries are often injured. As much as others who don't see PTs? I don't know for sure, but is seems to me that yes, they are injured as often, so my conclusion is that it does not work.

I don't mean to offend anyone, I really appreciate the time you, Oski, HC and others take to give me the best advice you can, really, but I will try it my way, by hopefully figuring out something that works for me (exercise, stretch, training pattern).

Cyberic

Cy, I have the same attitude. I remember when I had to stop running completely for two months due to a sudden bout of plantar fasciitis. It was not a matter of reducing the mileage, it was that I could NOT run at all. Even walking was painful. I waited three weeks before seeing a PT. Then I started some sessions with them, twice a week, for like 3 weeks. I have no insurance for that, it was killing my wallet. I stopped three weeks later because I could see no improvement and the PT was telling me to run with my butt pushed in and my hips forward and it made no fucking sense to me. I made up my mind then. If my body refused to run, then I was not going to try redoing its whole mechanic by spending hours on boring exercises that sometimes can make things worse. I lived without running for many years, I could do it again. A rowing machine is just as much fun to me as a TM is. But nothing equals racing, that's why I run. And if my body becomes unable to train correctly, then I'm out of the sport.

But the main point of all this is that I was unable to run for two months and then one day, I woke up and the pain had gone away entirely. I ran 7 more marathons after that and never had to change my body mechanics and never had another injury (except for the recent weird chafing, but it's now gone). So there is hope for you. I think that you are a case of too much too soon. You need to let a few body parts rest and heal, then start again, but dial down the training a bit. You have many years ahead of you. LTH is 52 and runs 2:59 marathons, you will too.

That's how I work also. Hopefully it won't take two months, but my body will heal, and maybe I'll feel like running again when it does. I love running, but the misery I go through when I'm unable to makes me wonder if it's gonna be worth working my way up again (if I'm injured for a long time and lose a lot of fitness, that is).

I agree with your entire post, except the last part about me running sub 3:00 marathons. It takes a lot of dedication to get there. I already think my life is a little imbalanced right now: too much of my existance is dedicated to running. Not sure if I'll keep this up for long.

happylily

That's how I work also. Hopefully it won't take two months, but my body will heal, and maybe I'll feel like running again when it does. I love running, but the misery I go through when I'm unable to makes me wonder if it's gonna be worth working my way up again (if I'm injured for a long time and lose a lot of fitness, that is).

I agree with your entire post, except the last part about me running sub 3:00 marathons. It takes a lot of dedication to get there. I already think my life is a little imbalanced right now: too much of my existance is dedicated to running. Not sure if I'll keep this up for long.

I doubt very much you're the bucket list type. You'll run your first, then you'll want to do better, and again and again and again... You are a perfectionist, I know that. 

I get what you're saying about the time it takes away from your life. But if other good mothers and good fathers can do it, so can you. If that's what you want... Run your first, then come back to me. If you say you'll never run another one, I'll buy you a beer. If you're hooked, you owe me one.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

LRB

What I see is that PTs don't seem to fix people up. If it did, they would be done with it. But people who consult for running injuries are often injured. As much as others who don't see PTs?

If this running thing does not pan out for you, you have a great future in comedy. lol

Sometimes I talk (type) too much, it's a character flaw.

Zelanie

Eric, I went to PT for a knee issue two years ago.  It took a little time to figure out exactly what worked, but once he did, it was golden.  Completely fixed with something like 6 weeks of PT.

One nice thing is that I was able to keep running, to some extent, while I was there.  So every visit we'd meet and figure out how much it made sense to run on it until the next visit.  Then we'd see how it went, and go from there.

onemile

Cy, I get where you're coming from regarding PT's. I have been to many and they didn't help me. I did all their little exercises and it didn't help. Sometimes you really do just need rest. But along the way I did find a chiro who does help me. Is it a permanent fix? No. Do I never get injured again? No.  But he does relieve some of the nagging pains that I get. Since Boston, my right ITB/hamstring/calf had been hurting. Every single run. Not injured (it never got worse) but every single run I could feel it there.  A constant nagging.  I went to my chiro a couple weeks ago and he fixed it in two appointments (Graston + hip adjustment). It hasn't hurt since and I am like, why didn't I go sooner?

Anyway, I don't think you'll need to run 100 mpw to get sub-3.  Just build a few injury free cycles on top of one another.  And what Lily said about wanting to do another and do it better.  I am pretty sure I said I would just do one.  

Hip Redux

But I also have multiple issues that I was running through: I've been complaining  about my groin for over a year, but I think it's the adductors (abductors? ... the ones inside). Lower back is aching some at times. Lower abdominals.  I think the sciatic has a bit of inflammation also. It seems that I have new aches because I'm NOT running.

While I understand your concern about going to a PT and not getting fixed....after a year of dealing with something, you likely don't have the answer, so is there really any harm in going to a professional who might actually help you?