Beginners and Beyond

Sharing misery on the disabled list (Read 333 times)

nolamama

CQTM

Find a PT that knows graston and hopefully it'll mean they know tendonitis when they see it.  Better to figure out what it is and/or rule something out earlier rather than later.  I'm the poster child for "don't end up like me and waste 6 months."

I probably should have done this about 8 weeks ago (like people told me to). Hopefully I'll only be the poster child for "don't end up like me and waste 6-8 weeks" Big grin

Hip Redux

So I started reading this.  I'm through the first 5 chapters, but already pretty thought-provoking for the chronically injured like myself.  I'll give y'all a full run down once I'm done with it!

bluerun

Super B****

So I started reading this.  I'm through the first 5 chapters, but already pretty thought-provoking for the chronically injured like myself.  I'll give y'all a full run down once I'm done with it!

I read that!!  It depressed me Joking

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Hip Redux

I read that!!  It depressed me Joking

lol!

DavePNW

Well the DNS is official; with a heavy heart (& a gimpy leg), I just transferred my Detroit Marathon registration to some lucky procrastinating runner. A very sad day.

Dave

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

Well the DNS is official; with a heavy heart (& a gimpy leg), I just transferred my Detroit Marathon registration to some lucky procrastinating runner. A very sad day.

Sorry Sad

Hip Redux

Ugh. Bummer Sad

Hip Redux

OK, done.  Yep, I have the "toilet bowl of doom" running posture.  Hooray!  Roll eyes  Ridiculously tight hip flexors, poor low back/pelvic posture, and I failed the big toe test. lol

I thought overall it was good - but  I felt it was certainly a lot more about the anatomy (as the title suggests) than on how to fix it.  He spent the first 7-8 chapters on discussing how people get injured, and then really only two chapters going into detail on how to correct it.   I did get some really good tidbits from it though, and he challenged a few commonly heard things so it was worth the read.

I was surprised that he was generally positive on "barefoot/minimalist" shoes and also that he suggested that sometimes 100% rest does more harm than good when injured.

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

OK, done.  Yep, I have the "toilet bowl of doom" running posture.  Hooray!  Roll eyes  Ridiculously tight hip flexors, poor low back/pelvic posture, and I failed the big toe test. lol

I thought overall it was good - but  I felt it was certainly a lot more about the anatomy (as the title suggests) than on how to fix it.  He spent the first 7-8 chapters on discussing how people get injured, and then really only two chapters going into detail on how to correct it.   I did get some really good tidbits from it though, and he challenged a few commonly heard things so it was worth the read.

I was surprised that he was generally positive on "barefoot/minimalist" shoes and also that he suggested that sometimes 100% rest does more harm than good when injured.

What is the big toe test?

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Sorry to hear this.

Well, husband bought one of those ice boots from amazon and he should get it next week.  He should restart running on Labor Day to see how it goes.  Run with compression socks, then ice boot.

Damaris

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

Sorry to hear this.

Well, husband bought one of those ice boots from amazon and he should get it next week.  He should restart running on Labor Day to see how it goes.  Run with compression socks, then ice boot.

Did i miss it? Does he have a diagnosis?

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

He diagnosed himself with shin splints.  I agree he has shin splints.  He won't go to a PT as he can prescribe and treat himself.

Did i miss it? Does he have a diagnosis?

Damaris

Hip Redux

What is the big toe test?

Being able to control the big toe separate from the others.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

With the toe arthritis I have, that is almost impossible.

Being able to control the big toe separate from the others.

Damaris

Will run for scenery.

I skimmed the book at B&N today.    It seemed pretty good.  Some of the background discussion looked helpful, although I think a lot of that is stuff we need to hear over and over before we "get it".

I really liked that he had a set of diagnostic tests (like the Toe Test) that anyone can do to check for problems, and clear explanations as to why they are problems.  The downside is that the fix is more drills and exercises and, seriously, who TH wants to do that.  Am I right ? Big grin

But seriously, the dose I got today does make me want to start back at my strength training and possibly start thinking about more core work.

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!