Beginners and Beyond

Sharing misery on the disabled list (Read 333 times)

Hip Redux

Well there's your problem, you have a bird in your knee!

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

Finally joining the party here...I haven't run since 7/23 because I was having hip pain.  Hell, it hurt to walk around for a while, let alone run.  Plus, I was having pain while sitting down at work all day, so I went to the ortho for both of those issues.  Two MRI's later, I found out I had a high femoral stress "reaction", which says to me I caught it (and stopped running) just in time.  And then I had a PT evaluation which revealed VERY tight hamstrings and weak core muscles...so I've been doing the recumbent bike and PT for the past almost 2 months now.  There has been improvement in my hamstrings and core, but I haven't had a totally pain-free day   My next doctor's appointment is 10/9...I'm REALLY hoping I get cleared to run, as I'm not having any pain where the stress reaction is (was), and my walking is back to normal.

Best wishes for full recoveries for everyone.

DavePNW

Well there's your problem, you have a bird in your knee!

I have determined I actually have the Kneebola virus.

I used that one in another thread somewhere else, but it is just so hilarious I had to use it again.

Dave

Hip Redux

Daisy - that sucks, but sounds like you caught it early.  Hopefully you are cleared at your next appt!

Dave - lol

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

Daisy - that sucks, but sounds like you caught it early.  Hopefully you are cleared at your next appt!

Dave - lol

Thank you!  Smile

Just saw your post in the dailies thread about cambered roads.  They are the worst!  I usually alternate sides of the street every 1/4 mile on the one road.  Are these busy roads you're referring to?  (Sorry if this was brought up previously, and I just wasn't aware of it.)

Hip Redux

No, not really busy.  I try to alternate but then it's still uneven, just uneven in the other direction so sometimes I try to just run down the damn middle!     There are some where I just have to avoid the road altogether because it's like sliding into the side of the road the entire time.

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

Some good news!  I RAN TODAY!  It's been 10 weeks.  In that time I've been doing a combination of swimming and biking (mostly swimming) for approx. 4 hours per week including hard, intense intervals.  I've also done 3 hard lifting sessions a week, focusing on functional upper movements like chinups and pushups along with weights, and doing creative things for legs like leg press, leg extension, leg curl, and cable pullthroughs.  With all that combined I feel like I've kept in pretty good shape.

So, to the running:

I ran .51 miles in 4:37.

It felt very very easy.  It was supposed to.  Tomorrow I get to do a WHOLE mile!  I can hardly wait.  I feel like I've barely lost any running fitness and if anything my form felt good because of the increased upper body strength.

I also found out that my hips are CRAZY tight from not being used (I couldn't really move my hip much for fear of shattering the bone) and so I have been doing a ton of hip stretches.  If anyone's interested, I'll share.

Oh and yesterday I also did 400 yard repeats in the pool, did one rep in 6:29!  That's like the equivalent of running a mile, so I'm proud considering how recently I learned to swim.

PRs: 5k 19:25, mile 5:38, HM 1:30:56

Lifting PRs: bench press 125lb, back squat 205 lb, deadlift 245lb

Hip Redux

Scap!  YAY ON RUNNING!

I have been trying to be really good about doing my PT exercises and it's really tough to run the day after I do them - my legs are sooo fatigued.  Last night I gave up at 2.5 miles because I was just plodding along.    Blah.

Like we did THESE on Monday.   OMG.

Will run for scenery.

Great news, Scap.  Go easy !

I guess I'm checking in here.  Not strictly disabled, but I've been having persistent (mild) pain in my feet.  Might be PF or metatarsalgia or both or neither.  But I think I need to take a break from running to let my feet heal up.  Wish I didn't hate cardio equipment so much !

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

Singer who runs a smidge

Good news, Scap!!  Now of course comes the really hard part -- not letting enthusiasm take over and screw things up!  Hope it continues to go well for you!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

GinnyinPA

My pelvic problem continues.  I can run without pain, but a couple of hours later there is an ache, and the next day a higher level ache.  Then the following day, I'm fine again.  I can walk without any problems, it's just running with its higher impact that hurts.  I have tried doing a run/walk and sometimes there is less pain afterwards; sometimes it makes no difference.  If I run more than once a week, the second or third run may give me some intermittent low level pain while I'm running -- but sometimes there is nothing at all to say something is wrong until hours or a day later.  Weird.  I really don't think it's a stress fracture.  Could be osteitis pubis, though that usually comes from side to side moves like you get with soccer or tennis.  If so, that usually heals in about 3-6 months - but I could be pushing the healing back by continuing to run before it's completely healed.

LRB

That sucks Ginny, but nice way to keep trying to figure it out.

jjs, I hate the treadmill until I am unable to run, then all of a sudden, I hate it less.

That's great, Scap!

Sorry about the pain, jjs and Ginny. Hopefully you can figure out what's going on.

As for me, I just walked for the first time this morning. My foot is really stiff, so it's more of a hobble, and the pain level has gone back up to where it was when I first started walking in the boot, but...I can walk! My last follow up appointment is in a couple of hours, so we'll see what the doctor has to say. Smile

5k - 25:15 (11/18/12)

10k - 1:01:51 (2/14/15)

10mi - 1:33:18 (3/2/14)

HM - 2:06:12 (3/24/13)

Upcoming Races:

Benched until further notice. :/

Everything you need is already inside. [[Bill Bowerman]]

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

novarunner, how did the apt turn out?

Ginny,  have you seen a doc?  I go nuts if I don't know what the problem is, plus, as you say, you could be making it worse.  Good luck either way.

Thanks for the congrats, guy!  I'm inching my way off the injured list--here is hoping.  I met with my PT who says I don't even need physical therapy and have done enough good corrective exercises on my own!  I also ran 2 miles the other day and it was super easy, like I haven't lost any fitness at all.  So that' sgood.  Still rolling out my feet and calves, too, to avoid getting plantar fasciitis again.

Anyway, it's going well.  Hopefully soon I'll start posting my runs in the dailies instead of updates in here and then, with luck, the rest of you will also slowly leave this thread and we will all be healthy forever.

Hm.

PRs: 5k 19:25, mile 5:38, HM 1:30:56

Lifting PRs: bench press 125lb, back squat 205 lb, deadlift 245lb

Scap, congrats on staying in shape while injured and on the 2 mile run. Smile

My appointment went well. Now that I'm walking, I need to watch out for the incision opening and for swelling in my foot and lower leg. There is quite a bit of swelling, so I've been wearing compression hose. The hose plus my supportive shoes have significantly reduced the pain. I also lifted last night (upper body plus core). Big grin I'm the maid of honor in a wedding the first weekend of November and want to be in some sort of shape by then. Tongue

5k - 25:15 (11/18/12)

10k - 1:01:51 (2/14/15)

10mi - 1:33:18 (3/2/14)

HM - 2:06:12 (3/24/13)

Upcoming Races:

Benched until further notice. :/

Everything you need is already inside. [[Bill Bowerman]]