Beginners and Beyond

Sharing misery on the disabled list (Read 333 times)

DavePNW

I feel like I should admit my injury by checking in here. I haven't run since last Wednesday due to what I think is a pulled calf. It's getting better, but it's still tight when do self massage. At least I can walk without limping now! I did 2 days of ice, 2 days of heat, elevation, rest (I also have a cold). I'm thinking a foam roller purchase is in order.

I have had my share of calf issues, and I will also suggest a good massage therapist; I have one that works wonders on calves. If you can stand the pain - it was worse than the actual injury. My understanding is it's tough to really work on calves with a foam roller, because you need to get pretty deep. You would probably need something like the stick. Although it may not be the best idea to get too intense with the self message if you're not exactly sure what you're doing. Anyway that's what she told me, so that's from someone trying to get repeat business. Roll eyes

I am not a big stretcher, but I do generally stretch my calves & hammies after a run. For the calves, I do the standard leaning against the wall calf stretch, which gets the gastroc (big muscle on top). Then in the same position but bending your knee slightly; this gets the soleus (muscle underneath) & achilles.

Good luck!

Dave

Hip Redux

In an attempt to keep myself busy with this last round on the DL (and frankly, to get caught up on weekend stuff that usually falls to the wayside when we are constantly racing, etc), I have cleaned out three closets, organized the pantry and cleaned out the basement - all of which resulted in four huge bags of trash, two bins of recycling, and two bags of donated clothes/shoes.   I even took down the dryer vent and cleaned THAT out.   Roll eyes

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Checking in officially as I've talked w/ Zelanie & Baboon here about their knee fiascos.

I tried running thru this knee thing but what I've noticed is that when it starts to feel better, I run a few on it (yes, on the TM & incline, & softly as I can tread) but then the next day I notice I'm about a half-step backwards.  That said, I'm stopping the run for now.

I'm doing:

• Resistance band hip stuff (based on an RW article)
        • Common knee-strengthening stuff like lunges (easy & progressive as lunges just feel unnatural to me)
        • Wall sits
        • Calf raises
        • Walking backwards, sideways, both ways, etc. on the treadmil (I did this during hip flexor issues too)
        • Stopped doing leg extensions & leg curls in the weight room (most agree squats are good enough)

One other thing I'm curious about is ice & heat.  So much conflicing stuff I can't decide if I should play both or not????

Randy

LRB

I tried running thru this knee thing but what I've noticed is that when it starts to feel better, I run a few on it (yes, on the TM & incline, & softly as I can tread) but then the next day I notice I'm about a half-step backwards.

I would not run up a hill or on an incline with a knee issue for all the Scooby snacks in the world.  Hopefully the time off is good for you, a week or two may be all that is needed.

O you are funny!  Do you clean Malware from computers too?  Tongue

Hip Redux

Red - where's the knee hurting?  What's it feel like?

LRB - No.  Tongue  I'm done now though.  I've filled up all the recycle and trash bins!

DavePNW

LRB - No.  Tongue  I'm done now though.  I've filled up all the recycle and trash bins!

I'll PM you my home address, I've got a whole list for you.

Dave

Hip Redux

The only reason why I had so much to do is because I am the worst when it comes to getting stuff done around the house to begin with!  So watch what you wish for lol

I am also spending way too much money on retail therapy. I placed an order on Amazon Prime twice today.

Hip Redux

Oh, and baking.  I am doing a lot of baking.

I really need to get off the DL.

DavePNW

Oh, and baking.  I am doing a lot of baking.

Oh, DEFINITELY sending you my home address now.

Dave

LRB

I am also spending way too much money on retail therapy. I placed an order on Amazon Prime twice today.

I have a half dozen pair of shoes in my cart on running warehouse, oy!

Hip Redux

Oh, DEFINITELY sending you my home address now.

I just made a breakfast casserole - eggs, turkey sausage, spinach, roasted potatoes, pesto and ricotta cheese.  Smells awesome!

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

I have a half dozen pair of shoes in my cart on running warehouse, oy!

Don't do it!!!  Wink  I went looking at new shoes the other day cuz I know I'll need new ones if I make it back outside but I thought, "What am I doing?  I ain't goin anywhere for a while.  Put the shoes DOWN!!!" Blush

O ----- It hurts just below the kneecap (like just below the middle, not completely below) and slightly to the outside.  Since it's been improving slightly since I did it, the one place I can always set it off is either sitting down in a chair and getting in the car. (like when I push off diagonally to sit down & back, it'll bark at me)

O & LRB ----- that's why I do the incline stuff on the TM...cuz I want to....

#1.)  Take the up/down force a little out of the equation and

#2.)  The incline stuff is not an issue for the knee.

Randy

Hip Redux

Does it feel like it's at the anserine bursa?  Could be bursitis?

http://thepainsource.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/pes-anserine-bursa-musculoskeletalnetwork.com_.jpg

MTA - Oh, nevermind, you said outside.  This would be something below and towards the inside I think... hmmm....

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Definitely in the right area, although reading on it I guess I could feel pain if I put pressure on it and I don't.  Only when I make the slightly wrong move. (Or the first time I tried to run outside after & after 4 miles, tried to hop off a curb onto that foot......BIG NO NO!!!!)

I'm guessing either LCL strain or maybe meniscus issue, but I don't know.  It doesn't keep me from walking (or running for that matter), I just want it to go away!!!!!!!!

When I feared an ACL issue, my UPS driver at work told me, "Oh no....you'll KNOW if you tear your ACL!!  You won't be able to run a step"

P.S.  Just saw your edit ------ Ya, definitely on the outside (in that little dimple between the kneecap & top of the fibula)

Randy

Hip Redux

Have you seen a doctor yet?

My SIL has a minor meniscus tear and it sounded a lot like what you describe - she only had pain in certain "directions" and then it was bad.  Otherwise, it was ok and she could walk, etc.   She's doing great post surgery though.   And of course, Dave has that issue now!

The knee has so many different possibilities for injury, it could be anything!  It's certainly doesn't sound like "typical" ITBS, I don't think, but ITBS can manifest itself in some wacky ways.