Beginners and Beyond

Sharing misery on the disabled list (Read 333 times)

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Haven't seen the doc yet.  I probably should've stopped altogether but I hate the idea of stopping so took it as far as I could.  Hopefully it's nothing but we'll see.  I'll give it another week & if it ain't feeling completely better, I'll have doc check it out.

Fortunately it's on the outside & I know they say blood supply is better there than inside so better chance for healing!!!

Randy

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Howdy fellow miserable folks.  I have an appointment this Friday with sports med yet again.  New doctor this time around, maybe some new answers...   I'm not looking forward to another MRI though.

Running is dumb.

Hip Redux

Red - my PT says that there is some growing evidence that 100% rest is not necessary in many cases of injury.  But you have to be smart about it.   She encouraged me to do as much as I could without aggravating things further, which at least kept me mentally in the game, so to speak (the 100% rest I am on now is driving me BONKERS).

Mandy - Good luck!

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Red - my PT says that there is some growing evidence that 100% rest is not necessary in many cases of injury.  But you have to be smart about it.   She encouraged me to do as much as I could without aggravating things further, which at least kept me mentally in the game, so to speak (the 100% rest I am on now is driving me BONKERS).

Mandy - Good luck!

Welp, I certainly ain't restin' much that's for sure!!!  It's been nothing but resistance band exercises in every direction x 2 (once for each leg).  Also 30 minutes at a time of walking backwards/forwards/sideways on the friggin hamster wheel every day.  Then 2 days a week of calesthenics and/or weights which include squats & lunges.....(I cut out leg extensions & curls due to the interweb warnings).

Tonight I got on the bicycle for the first time in years.   SUCKED!!!  (Well, not horribly but no sub for running, that's for sure)

The only way I know to not do more than aggrivates things further is to use pain as a barometer.  I'm quitting wall-sits until further notice for that very reason.

Randy

obiebyke

How's everyone doing? I'm not quite on the disabled list, but my calf/knee is complaining after doing 5 yesterday. I realized the problem is very likely tied to the fact that my knees are hypermobile/double-jointed. Thanks for the genes, Mom.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Singer who runs a smidge

Not much change here.  Probably because I keep getting distracted from stretching/strength training.  Seriously, Hope'sMom, you expect to get better without actually doing anything to get better?  Roll eyes

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

bluerun

Super B****

Now my shin hates me.  ::tempertantrum::

I feel about a thousand years old... plus a few centuries.  Angry

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Hip Redux

I have a follow-up with the cardiologist tomorrow.  I put my adductor PT on hold for now since if I can't run without nearly passing out, there's really no point in having PT for something that only bothers me when I run.  Roll eyes

I'm hoping that she has an answer for me, but I have a feeling it's going to continue to be "we don't know what's going on" kind of appt and just more tests.

LRB

I feel about a thousand years old... plus a few centuries.  Angry

Yeah but you look like a million bucks.  Tongue

Good luck at your appointments O and Mandy.

Double jointed OB?  Drool.

Hopes Mom, stretch it like it called you a bad name, or regret you didn't later on down the road!

Randy, I thought about riding my bike...then I forgot what I was thinking about.  lol

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Well, good day in general though I haven't done anything yet.  In about a half hour it'll be.......

• Elastic band exercises......AGAIN!!  (Article I read said, every day for 2 weeks, then 2 or 3 times a week after that)
                      • Walking forward/backward/sideways on the hamster wheel......AGAIN!!

I just have no patience.  It's only been 1 week since I completely stopped and I just can't stand it already!

Randy

LRB

It's only been 1 week since I completely stopped and I just can't stand it already!

You would not want to be me then. lol

Hip Redux

The gist of my follow up with the cardiologist - still no freaking clue.

I have to wear a cardiac event monitor for 6 weeks.   I am allowed to run and workout, because they want to capture/record what my heart is doing during them.   I'll stick to the treadmill at the gym though, that way if I have an issue I won't be 2 miles from home.

And I have a table tilt test scheduled for the 12th to see if it's a blood pressure issue.

My bloodwork showed low TSH so they are starting me on low dose thyroid replacement therapy.  Do not know if this is related, cardiologist isn't convinced it is yet.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Interesting.  I dont know jack about thyroid conditions....however.....just like Vitamin D and other stuff, there are a few things that come up on my radar as "doc's favorites" and thyroid appears to be "in vogue" lately.  I would put extra pressure on my doc to make sure he feels good about going down that road, but that's just me.

I would (and I'm sure you, too) want the doc to find something concrete and have one of those "aha" moments.  Hopefully that will happen!!

I'm taking a total rest day.  I ain't doing jack.  No treadmill.  No elastic bands.  I was on my feet plenty at work today & walked a good mile inside of Costco tonight.  This week kicked my ass!  I'm tired!

Randy

Hip Redux

Interesting.  I dont know jack about thyroid conditions....however.....just like Vitamin D and other stuff, there are a few things that come up on my radar as "doc's favorites" and thyroid appears to be "in vogue" lately.  I would put extra pressure on my doc to make sure he feels good about going down that road, but that's just me.

I generally think they don't do a thorough enough job before putting someone on meds, mostly because it's easy and cheap and it's really hard to figure out what's really going on when hormones go out of whack.

Most family med doctors look at the TSH number only - thyroid stimulating hormone.  If it's off, it can mean the body is asking for more thyroid T4 hormone.   Mine came back off in May, fine on the retest and now off again.   So while my PCP wants me on the meds, she really should either a) refer me to an endocrinologist for further work up and/or b) do the full thyroid panel to look at my other numbers.  I'll take up the endocrinologist route myself.

My cardiologist doesn't think any of my symptoms match hypothyroid at this point.  But she is ok with hormone replacement in the short term isn't because we have no other answers as of yet.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

That sucks, Oski.  I think the worst part of all this health crap is just not knowing what the hell is going on with your body.

As for me, on Tuesday I will be getting MRI #2, this time with the big ass needle (and contrast dye) to look at my hip joint and attempt to determine if I have a labral tear and/or other issues with my joint. Depending on the results, I will have to make a decision about surgery.  I'm pretty freaked out.  Not because of surgery, but that the surgeon in my HMO might not be able to help me, depending on what the MRI reveals. 

Running is dumb.