Beginners and Beyond

Sharing misery on the disabled list (Read 333 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

Can y'all pick me up a knee while you're out?  Thx!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

LRB

I'll take a pair of knees, not that there is anything wrong with mine they just look like two door knobs.

bluerun

Super B****

Oski, I feel ya... it's nearly impossible to find the time to fit in all these appointments!!  (That is, once I figure out whom to see... this latest thing has me kind of baffled.)

Well, sure, Mandy, sounds good.  Maybe if enough of us get new parts, we'll be able to get a discounted rate.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I think we could get a discount on buying body parts in bulk!

I am scheduled to meet with a surgeon on the 19th to discuss things.  I am hoping that he will be able to tell me if I have a femoral acetabular impingement and if that's what caused my labrum to tear.  If that's the case, I will have some bone reshaping done as well.  Jebus.  Black eye

Running is dumb.

I am scheduled to meet with a surgeon on the 19th to discuss things.  I am hoping that he will be able to tell me if I have a femoral acetabular impingement and if that's what caused my labrum to tear.  If that's the case, I will have some bone reshaping done as well.  Jebus.  Black eye

Wow. Good luck, keep us posted.

And yes in regards to a comment you made previously, things have been going pretty well for me, other than occasional twinges. I sort of hate to say anything about it, lest the running gods get wind of it and smite me down again. I am still terrified on every run that the pain is going to come back, mainly because I don't know why it left, and I am very nervous about ramping up mileage. I did get a cortisone shot at my ortho visit, but it actually started to feel better before that. When I was there, I set a follow up appointment for 6 weeks later (in case I forget about it Oski will send me a reminder). It is with another guy in the same practice, so maybe will get some different opinions. Not sure if it even makes sense to go at this point if I am still doing OK, but I probably will, if for no other reason than to get all the questions answered I never did the first time.

Dave

Hip Redux

Redrum - you saw the doctor today correct?  News?

Dave - you are on my calendar!

Mandy - bone reshaping?  Um, ouch.

LRB

I sort of hate to say anything about it, lest the running gods get wind of it and smite me down again.

I know that's right!

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Redrum - you saw the doctor today correct?  News?

Dave - you are on my calendar!

Mandy - bone reshaping?  Um, ouch.

Yes.  He did the (insert name here) test where he moves my knee, braces it with his own legs & pulls this way & that..  It all was favorable as he said my knee didn't let him move it excessively so ACL's probably fine.

He ordered X-ray, gave me some anti-inflammatory lotion, I have blood work tomorrow & xray if I can squeeze it all in. (He'd take blood daily if he could)   I was like, "Why X-ray?" but he said MRI will only get auth if Xray shows any dimensional abnormalities. (stupid $money$ game but whatever)

He also advised me to get a knee brace w/ hole in the front for patella which I did but it's a hair too tight so gonna exchange tonight.  Felt weird when I had it on.

He also told me, "Well you know the runner's trifecta, right?  Meniscus, ACL & softening of the back of the patella?"

I was like, "We debate this monthly on the BF/BB, I ain't gonna get into it with you right now."

He also said, "Runner huh?  Well, ya know a candle that burns twice as hot, burns half as long!"

So I guess I'm dying soon?  Tight lips

Randy

delicate flower

Yes.  He did the (insert name here) test where he moves my knee, braces it with his own legs & pulls this way & that..  It all was favorable as he said my knee didn't let him move it excessively so ACL's probably fine.

He ordered X-ray, gave me some anti-inflammatory lotion, I have blood work tomorrow & xray if I can squeeze it all in. (He'd take blood daily if he could)   I was like, "Why X-ray?" but he said MRI will only get auth if Xray shows any dimensional abnormalities. (stupid $money$ game but whatever)

Good luck, man.  When I first saw my doc, he did one bend to my knee and said "ACL's torn.  We'll get an MRI to confirm."  My insurance company did the MRI as long as the doc ordered it and submitted the results of the knee test.  Sucks that insurance carriers can dictate what care you receive.

<3

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Ya but I knew that because MRI's are expensive that is the last thing they'd want to do.  (Why don't MRI's get cheaper as time goes on like Chinese laptops?)

Anyway, I also forgot to mention that he was definitely a "cumulative damage" theorist.  He said it very "matter of factly" which gave me the impression that he feels like running is not someting to engage in long term.

So there's the whole "cumulative damage" vs. "it helps you build denser bones & more cartilage.  Of course the way I feel now, I've got that grim, hopeless feeling that I'll never run again and if I could would I even want to??  (sigh) Sad

Randy

Ya but I knew that because MRI's are expensive that is the last thing they'd want to do.  (Why don't MRI's get cheaper as time goes on like Chinese laptops?)

Anyway, I also forgot to mention that he was definitely a "cumulative damage" theorist.  He said it very "matter of factly" which gave me the impression that he feels like running is not someting to engage in long term.

So there's the whole "cumulative damage" vs. "it helps you build denser bones & more cartilage.  Of course the way I feel now, I've got that grim, hopeless feeling that I'll never run again and if I could would I even want to??  (sigh) Sad

Regarding the "will I ever run again" feeling - I imagine everyone who has posted here (and probably most who haven't) has felt that. I wish I could say "oh, you will!", but this thread is called sharing misery, not encouraging baseless optimism. You never really know. So I will just concur that the feeling sucks. Sucks, sucks, sucks. #whinyrunners

Regarding cumulative damage vs. benefits - I am no doctor, but I think it is pretty well accepted that running 10 mpw (to pick an arbitrary figure) is good for you, but running 50 mpw is in fact very, very bad for you. #uterus

Regarding the cost of MRI's - if you want to discuss why health care costs have spiraled out of control, and what we can do about it, you'd better start a different thread. #obamacare

Dave

Hip Redux

You should try to find another doctor.  Really.  I've been lucky in this one regard - all of my doctors for the ortho stuff have always said "let's figure out a plan to get you back out there" - and they are all runners themselves, which I think helps.

delicate flower

You should try to find another doctor.  Really.  I've been lucky in this one regard - all of my doctors for the ortho stuff have always said "let's figure out a plan to get you back out there" - and they are all runners themselves, which I think helps.

My doc is a skier and cyclist and it definitely helps.  He only said I might want to think about scaling back the mileage volume to reduce the risk of arthritis down the road, or or I could ignore him and run all I want.  He told me if I chose the latter, to make sure I did strength training too, which I have started doing.

<3

Hip Redux

Yeah - most of the time there is some caveat - like you can cycle, but you need to be more upright, avoid this and that, but they've always been supportive of my hobbies and have tried to work with my situation.  Which I think is important.

The only one who hasn't was my old PCP - and I dropped her like a hot potato.   I went in there with massive back pain and she tried to make me feel like it was "my fault" because I was running/biking.   Eff you, lady.

LRB

Regarding the "will I ever run again" feeling - I imagine everyone who has posted here (and probably most who haven't) has felt that. I wish I could say "oh, you will!", but this thread is called sharing misery, not encouraging baseless optimism. You never really know. So I will just concur that the feeling sucks. Sucks, sucks, sucks. #whinyrunners

You make a lot of sense, stop it.

When returning from an ITBS injury and again a year later with achilles tendoniits, it was not until weeks passed that I got over that will I ever be the same feeling.  In fact, I had to run until I forgot I was ever injured before I would even considered myself healed.

Of the two, the achilles was mentally worse because you felt it every time your foot moved, even in bed.  Unlike ITBS, which I felt only when running.

To the point of who is helping you, I have been fortunate in that my MD, sports doc and therapists are either runners, triathletes or cyclists, so they want to get you off the bench as quickly as you do.