Beginners and Beyond

Sharing misery on the disabled list (Read 333 times)

happylily

Regarding the "Will I ever run again?" question, it was never an issue with me. I think that the body will always seek to repair itself, no matter what the injury is. It may take longer than we want and it may heal itself in a funny way (think of broken bones healing a bit crooked), but eventually, we can all run again. My biggest fears when I could not run were: "Will I be starting from scratch and will it take me 5 years to get back to where I was last spring?" That depends on how long the injury lasts and the answer is yes, it could feel like starting from scratch... Which lead to my other questions: "Will I be strong enough mentally to want to go back out there if I have regressed that much? Will I still feel like training and racing? Will I remember the thrill of it? Will I ever trust my body again?" These are the questions I faced while I was on the bench. But it never occurred to me that I would never be able to simply run again. I think that if you really long for running, then you all will run strong again. It's only a matter of time.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Thanks Julie.  I know it makes sense.  (Funny you mention the bone thing.  There's a guy at work whose upper arm is crooked because he had a spiral fracture that took a FULL YEAR to heal and never did heal right.  Yet he's in the gym lifting as much weight as ever).  I am still in search of the RW rag article that says ditto (which I've quoted to folks here many times myself).

Nevertheless, the demons of doubt loom heavily above me.  After waking up at 4am this morning worrying about the blood bath I was going to donate today.....(4 large viles of blood today AFTER waiting for 2 hours because the place was PACKED with people).....then running 20 minutes acrossed town to the hospital to get some X-rays done all before 11am because the entire extended family was leaving for the coast today....(ugh).....I am spent physically, mentally, emotionally, psychologically.....just SPENT!

Anywho, I'm wearing this stupid brace where your kneecap sticks out front.  It sucks.  It moves and I have to readjust throughout the day.  I have to use this stupid anti-inflammatory cream that's gross and gritty and he wants me to wear the sleeve over top to "keep it in" and it's just a "just in case it's an inflammatory thing" precaution.

I hate being hurt.

I hate needles.

I hate blood.

I hate doctors.

I hate pain.

I hate worrying.

That about enough bitchin, pissin & moanin yet??  Angry

Randy

happylily

But you're still funny. Big grin So you can take comfort in that...

Plus, we're lucky to have you here. So don't give up Smile

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Hip Redux

I hate being hurt.

I hate needles.

I hate blood.

I hate doctors.

I hate pain.

I hate worrying.

This should be like our misery thread motto or something.  (Well, except the needles part,I am ok with that.)

LRB

The misery thread motto is four words; I hate not running.

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

I need to spend more time in this thread.

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

hog4life

I need to spend more time in this thread.

Me too, lol. Are you hurt? My feet are hurting, PF did not like me running 19.3 miles today.

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

Me too, lol. Are you hurt? My feet are hurting, PF did not like me running 19.3 miles today.

I've got some knee issues presently. I (with the doctor's persuasion) decided not to run the 5K at today's Battlefield marathon. I did help out a fair amount though. But I'm not going to run for a couple of weeks. We'll see how that goes.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

If you're able to run 19.3 miles, I think we may have to kick you out of this thread!  Big grin

Running is dumb.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

If you're able to run 19.3 miles, I think we may have to kick you out of this thread!  Big grin

Touche'!!!!   That right there's a buncha baawwwwwllsh!t

Randy

Hip Redux

Careful with that!  Are you training for a marathon?

Tom - sorry you're here too. Sad

bluerun

Super B****

It's real. Should we order these in bulk?

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Hip Redux

Ahahahahaha!

We should get a bulk discount, for sure.

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

I hate to burst your bubble(s) but that won't offer enough protection for a fall!

bluerun

Super B****

I hate to burst your bubble(s) but that won't offer enough protection for a fall!

HA!  I like that play on words.  And what if I double... triple... quadruple up?  We're buying them in bulk, after all!!

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog