Beginners and Beyond

Sharing misery on the disabled list (Read 333 times)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Finally got the MRI results. Yes it has been 3 weeks since my injury and 1.5 weeks sincey MRI. My foot is NOT stress fractured!!! That's the good news. But it is sprained. So that may actually be worse, recovery-wise? Ugh. I've started swimming because that is ALL I'm cleared to do for cardio. But I suck at swimming too much to get a decent cardio workout. Did 50 lengths of the pool in 45 minutes on Tuesday and 30 lengths in 30 minutes on Thursday. Didn't drown but honestly hated every minute....I just want to run...or at LEAST get to do stationary bike.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Hip Redux

It's probably better to not have a stress fracture, I'd think.  But certainly soft tissue stuff can be a real pain to heal, too.  Glad you at least got an answer though!  Now you can get together a plan of attack to get back to it.

Nevrgivup

Hang in there Kristin. The way I look at it, is any swimming is better than no swimming or sitting at home being miserable. I'm glad you have some answers.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

LRB

But it is sprained. So that may actually be worse, recovery-wise?

I have never had one, but I cannot say that not having a stress fracture is worse than having one.  I would think that is a good thing, even if recovery sucks.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

The weird thing is the tendon and ligament sprained are on the inner part of my foot/lower ankle. The pain is on the outer side. Explain THAT shit to me.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

LRB

The weird thing is the tendon and ligament sprained are on the inner part of my foot/lower ankle. The pain is on the outer side. Explain THAT shit to me.

See, what had happened was, um, and then...

Yeah.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Lol!

See, what had happened was, um, and then...

Yeah.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

So I bought myself a new bathing suit today to keep inspired. I also signed up to volunteer for Boston again in the event I am unable to run. Dh has a lot of faith that I'll be running and this will be a memory come marathon day. I HOPE so. I have one angry butt muscle. Looking forward to acupuncture. I have never done it, but I'm willing to try since I hear great things about it. 

Mandy- Good for you for being able to run! Get it now before surgery. Right??

Hillary......You know you've gotta model it now right??  

Mandy.......You ran TWELVE miles???   Are you kidding??  And your doc doesn't care??    Or you don't care if your doc cares or not? 

Kristin......Good news!!  Shoot, glad you're able to swim.  I wish I could FIND a place to swim cuz I'd do it.  I haven't given up yet, but definitely be thankful you can swim.  Even if I had a pool it'd be outside & you wouldn't catch me swimming outside in winter.  

Randy

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Nice bike, redrum!  I spent most of the year on a bike -- started commuting to work, even.  It kept me reasonably sane and was a means to shed my injury weight and enjoy being outside again pain free.  I think every runner should own a bike.

Do I get kicked out of this thread for running 12 miles today?

Yay!  Are you like me that found a new wind after scheduling surgery?

Damaris

Nevrgivup

Great news! Today is the best my butt has felt since the "injury". The piriformis stretch is doing wonders for it. I don't have pain anymore when I do a hamstring stretch either. Yay!! I did another swim today and will try and go for an easy run this Tuesday. Just a minor setback that got me into the pool and made me realize to cross-train and stretch stretch stretch.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Just curious.....Did you say where you're swimming??  Local Y?  Gym?

If I won the lottery, I'd have an indoor pool built tomorrow.  (Or I guess buy a mansion with one in it already, duh) 

Randy

Nevrgivup

Just curious.....Did you say where you're swimming??  Local Y?  Gym?

If I won the lottery, I'd have an indoor pool built tomorrow.  (Or I guess buy a mansion with one in it already, duh) 

Yes, I'm swimming at the Y. I'm only up to 350 yards, but I just "learned" how to swim this year and its harder than just going for a run IMO. Plus I'm out of practice. I don't really care about the numbers so much. I'm in there moving.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Oh, definitely.  350 yards of swimming is better than 350 minutes on the couch!

Dang....I really gotta find a place with a pool.  I hate to say it but I think I'm gonna have to go by the old, old gym for forever ago & see if that place still has a pool in it & what they'd charge me for it.  It *would* give me the opportunity to hop on an elliptical, too, so I wouldn't have to buy one & have to find a place to put it.  (treadmill got about the last free space I had in the house unless I start throwing stuff in the middle of the living room).

Randy

Nevrgivup

Oh, definitely.  350 yards of swimming is better than 350 minutes on the couch!

Dang....I really gotta find a place with a pool.  I hate to say it but I think I'm gonna have to go by the old, old gym for forever ago & see if that place still has a pool in it & what they'd charge me for it.  It *would* give me the opportunity to hop on an elliptical, too, so I wouldn't have to buy one & have to find a place to put it.  (treadmill got about the last free space I had in the house unless I start throwing stuff in the middle of the living room).

Do it! I'm already looking forward to my next swim.

Just B.S.

Yes, I'm swimming at the Y. I'm only up to 350 yards, but I just "learned" how to swim this year and its harder than just going for a run IMO. Plus I'm out of practice. I don't really care about the numbers so much. I'm in there moving.

For those of us learning or relearning as adults it  is much more challenging but very rewarding too. You are doing awesome Hil keep up the great work!