Beginners and Beyond

Sharing misery on the disabled list (Read 333 times)

Hip Redux

LOL!

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Hilary, I am so sorry to hear about your worsening pain. pole on the lack of sleep and I can totally understand your frustration. I hope you get some answers tomorrow and they are the kind that can be dealt with on a prompt fashion.  The waiting and worrying is sometes harder than the pain. Hang in there!

redrum, does your local school district have a pool? Before joining the Y I would swim at HS pool for very cheap. The only issue was the hours of operation were very limited.

Hmmm..interesting bit about the school pool.  Maybe my alma matter.  I'm sure they'd sympathize. (yes, sarcasm intended.  This is California, they only want tax money.  Your carcass is simply collateral damage) 

Hilary......Do hang tough!!  I know it sucks, but I'm guessing a lot of this weight is on the Boston side of your brain too, no??  Obviously easier said than done, but try to relax your mind about it.  Heck, take some Xanax if you need to.  (And, no, I'm not kidding).

In the meantime, I have a question for you........What does your physiatrist do??  (I thought earlier you were saying "psychiatrist" which, believe it or not, might not be a bad idea if you feel like you're going crazy).  Is that like a sports shrink??

And lastly.....Is your bed comfortable enough??  Can you sleep somewhere more comfortable??  I know my bed has trashed my back before.  Most often it doesn't but at times it can.  I still haven't bought the new mattress I promised myself, but that's on a list of shoulda' woulda' coulda's.

Randy

LRB

In the meantime, I have a question for you........What does your physiatrist do?? 

I wondered the same thing.

"Physiatrists, or rehabilitation physicians are nerve, muscle and bone experts who treat injuries or illnesses that affect how you move."

Nevrgivup

Thank you redrum. LOL. Physiatry is similar to psychiatry in terms of spelling only. I just want to be pain free!! My ass is ridiculously sore right now. It is between my ass and hip. I'm thinking some sort-of bursitis aggravated by the massage!! GRRRRRR. Will never get a deep tissue massage again. Here is a definition of what a physiatrist is: 
          http://www.spine-health.com/glossary/physiatrist

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Hilary, sorry to hear that. For piriformis or sciatica, it hurt most when I woke up in the morning (if you still think it is that).  One other thing: according to my chiro, massages can move bones out of place and I usually get adjusted right after a massage if the massage leaves me sore or pain.

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

Love the t-shirts!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

bluerun

Super B****

Love the t-shirts!!

I love it when I don't have to wear it.  I think I may need to wear it now because my leg is ****ing killing me.

And besides, it's too big, so I can even fit it over the sixteen dozen other layers I need to wear in this polar freeze. 

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Nevrgivup

Hilary, sorry to hear that. For piriformis or sciatica, it hurt most when I woke up in the morning (if you still think it is that).  One other thing: according to my chiro, massages can move bones out of place and I usually get adjusted right after a massage if the massage leaves me sore or pain.

Thank you. I'm still a bit uncertain what this is. Its all in the butt and hip. I can point to where it hurts so hopefully that will help the doctor help me some. 1pm can't come fast enough. I just want some answers to know what I'm dealing with.

onemile

Thank you. I'm still a bit uncertain what this is. Its all in the butt and hip. I can point to where it hurts so hopefully that will help the doctor help me some. 1pm can't come fast enough. I just want some answers to know what I'm dealing with.

Good luck!

obiebyke

Hilary, hope you're doing a bit better today.

I went to my GP today. She is clearly not a runner. She told me I should've gotten checked before starting a running regimen (?!) and that a PT would help me alter my gait. Nope. They better not. Anyway, she palpated my knees and bent them and said there's nothing obviously wrong and that sports medicine/PT was the next step. DUH. Whatever, that's what I'll do. Meanwhile the pace bunny keeps at it. Dammit.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Nevrgivup

Obiebyke- Sorry you had such a bad experience. I met with a new doctor today and loved her. Her and I discussed that it could be a few things. Her exam was the most thorough that I've had between the urgent care doc that saw me initially and the physical therapist. It could be either ischial bursitis or an si problem. My initial guess. I got a cortisone shot in my bumm today. Ouch... if this does not work by Monday, I will have an si joint injection and I will be changing over to physical therapists that treat athletes. Apparently I've been going to a place that specializes in stroke and brain injuries. She said let pain be my guide in terms of running and elliptical. I can swim and use the upright bike.

LRB

Ouch... if this does not work by Monday, I will have an si joint injection and I will be changing over to physical therapists that treat athletes.

Just to share my experience, I opted against the SI Block (injection).  Basically, if the pain goes away after the injection, it confirms you have an SI joint issue, but it may not tell you what.  You will likely still need to work with a PT to determine its severity and what type of SI issue you have, meaning you are not actually healing during that time.

This is just food for thought, but there is a battery of tests (seven I think) they perform in about an hour that rules out every other back ailment and what remains is that it is indeed an SI joint issue.  The only difference here is that they can get to the root cause of the problem much quicker since there is not a period of a week or two where you have no discomfort due to the injection.

I am just putting that out there because you can never be under armed with info when you speak with those people.

Nevrgivup

Just to share my experience, I opted against the SI Block (injection).  Basically, if the pain goes away after the injection, it confirms you have an SI joint issue, but it may not tell you what.  You will likely still need to work with a PT to determine its severity and what type of SI issue you have, meaning you are not actually healing during that time.

This is just food for thought, but there is a battery of tests (seven I think) they perform in about an hour that rules out every other back ailment and what remains is that it is indeed an SI joint issue.  The only difference here is that they can get to the root cause of the problem much quicker since there is not a period of a week or two where you have no discomfort due to the injection.

I am just putting that out there because you can never be under armed with info when you speak with those people.

Yes. I will be getting set up with a physical therapist asap to deal with whatever is going on. I'm hoping it is not an si joint issue, but very well may be. If I still have pain though, I will probably opt for the injection to help if its that bad. I'm keeping all my fingers and toes crossed that it is not an si joint thing and that this cortisone shot I got in my ishium will do the trick. At least there are runners out there dealing with this problem. Many from what I have read on the internet.

Thank you Rick. Any information that you can give me is much welcome.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Joint issues suck.    I hope it's not that, Hilary.

Running is dumb.

Nevrgivup

Joint issues suck.    I hope it's not that, Hilary.

I know. Its part of the sport right?  Doesn't stop us though. Maybe for a short period of time, but we do not quit the sport. At least I haven't all these years. When is your surgery??