Beginners and Beyond

Sharing misery on the disabled list (Read 333 times)

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Everyone thinks that too much running was cause for my back herniation too. Its annoying. Ha. I got my cholesterol levels checked the other day. My HDL is 85 and Triglycerides are 34. I'd say the running and healthy lifestyle is paying off for something. When everyone else is at risk for heart disease for being sedentary and eating like shit, than I will say, "see its because you never moved your ass."

Feeling a bit sarcastic today.

+1

As I spent the 3 months awaiting whether or not I was going to have knee surgery I surmised that this was truly the end game in the matter..........Choose 1:

1.)  Orthopedic surgeon

2.)  Cardiologist

It's like there is no option for "neither".  You get to pick 1 or the other.  (unless you go to the narrow extreme of speed-walking and eating like a rabbit, which I realize is a possibility, just not my idea of "living").

So, I dunno.  Combne either with the added enjoyment of a possible "psychiatrist" and all they entail and you've got a life full of friends that will always be there for you.......well.......so long as you have either insurance or $$$.

It's like a cool kinda' lose/lose situation where you.....well....lose, no matter what.  Kinda cool, right?  

Randy

Hip Redux

1.)  Orthopedic surgeon

2.)  Cardiologist

What does it mean if I've needed to see both in the last two months?  

Nevrgivup

Had one of my best workouts since surgery today. Ran/walked every five minutes for a half-hour and than forty minutes of the elliptical. Felt so freaking good to get my heart rate up and I actually broke a sweat. Yay for me.

How's everyone else doing?

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

What does it mean if I've needed to see both in the last two months?  

Well, then you've got to work on the trifecta......Get yourself a shrink & we'll call it good!  

My dad had a heart attack 3 years ago.  I'm certainly healthier than he is & moreso in the last several years so hopefully I'll fare better in that regard as I approach his age, but who knows.

Hilary.......Great news!!!  Congrats!!  Just remember to take it easy!!  I've been back a month now & JUST completed my first 10 mile week.  (Down from 30 miles just before my knee)

Randy

Nevrgivup

Well, then you've got to work on the trifecta......Get yourself a shrink & we'll call it good!  

My dad had a heart attack 3 years ago.  I'm certainly healthier than he is & moreso in the last several years so hopefully I'll fare better in that regard as I approach his age, but who knows.

Hilary.......Great news!!!  Congrats!!  Just remember to take it easy!!  I've been back a month now & JUST completed my first 10 mile week.  (Down from 30 miles just before my knee)

Thanks. I will definitely be supplementing most days with the elliptical machine. I'm starting to love that thing.

Congrats on your miles! I'm in no rush to go anywhere.

LRB

Comments from my mom today - You do too much working out.  It's from all your running and biking. You need to do less. Don't keep beating yourself up.  How did you do this?  I'm sure it was from running.  It had to be running.

You know she is repeating those exact same words to everyone in her phone book. lol

Singer who runs a smidge

Well, I peeped in here hoping to see good news for everyone, but at least we're all in this thing together!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Hip Redux

You know she is repeating those exact same words to everyone in her phone book. lol

I know for a fact she is because my aunt told me so!

obiebyke

Hey y'all. The depression monster still has me, but it's a bit better. I switched to stationary biking at virtually no resistance. Drives me nuts, because I don't even break a sweat cranking away at it.

Today is my first physical therapy appointment. I'm nervous for some reason. It's really for the runner's knee, since rest/no impact is the deal for the stress injury. I know we'll probably have to alter some exercises because of my shin. I just want to be able to do what she asks! I feel like a blob.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Nevrgivup

Obie- The depression gets better. Promise. I'm definitely aware now how much vested I had in running. This injury has opened up so many things for me. I'm doing well. Physical therapy is going great. I've created a gym habit like I did with running. It gets better. Perspective. Life is not just running.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Comments from my mom today - You do too much working out.  It's from all your running and biking. You need to do less. Don't do keep beating yourself up.  How did you do this?  I'm sure it was from running.  It had to be running.

Comments from my dad:  "Eh, you'll be ok, you're young."

That pretty much mirrors my parents as well.  My mom said to me, "You're going to stop doing that crazy ultra stuff after you recover, right?  I mean, that just can't be good for you.  Haven't you learned your lesson?"   Gee, thanks, Mom.

Running is dumb.

GinnyinPA

My Dad keeps insisting, "You know you're not getting any younger.  You should take it easy."  Every time I talk to him, he says something like that.  He thinks I'm abusing my husband by continuing to want to go hiking/backpacking together.  DH disagrees.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Hugs to Obiebyke good luck at PT!!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

StartingOver42

faster than a glacier

I guess I'll play in this thread since I won't be running for a while. I have a nice case of ITBS (both legs) that I stubbornly ran my first HM with on Sunday. Well I say "ran", it was more run 6 miles until I couldn't any more and walk/hobble for 7.1. Now my knees feel ok, I can at least walk around without them hurting, but the outside of the bottoms of both feet are KILLING right now. No doubt from said 7.1 miles of limping/hobbling.

So yeah I feel pretty stupid, should have skipped it. I'll be doing lots of strength training, stretching, foam rolling all that good stuff for at least a month before I try to run again. Also cycling and swimming, to start getting ready for a couple of sprint triathlons this summer.

obiebyke

Ouch, Startingover!

Thanks Kristin and Hilary. PT was pretty good. She thinks I can get back to running in a couple of weeks. We went over some exercises for my runners knee. Apparently my quads are really strong but my glutes are weak.

She's really not very worried about the stress injury and says I can add some resistance to what I'm doing on the bike and add elliptical if I want, as long as there's no pain.

Apparently I'm a freak of nature. She's never seen hypermobile knees like mine before. When I lie flat and flex my quads, my lower legs pop up at a 12 degree angle. I thought everyone's did that... I also cannot, for the life of me, do a one legged squat. I fall over. Embarrassing.

Anyway, good to have a little hope and a plan of action.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)