Beginners and Beyond

Sharing misery on the disabled list (Read 333 times)

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Dude, this is almost becoming funny.........

First I *say* it.  Then I actually DO it!!

Are you freaking KIDDING ME??

I'm almost back home from my, otherwise beautiful bike ride, testing out my new taillight that will literally blind the eyes of drivers who stare too long and I stop at the major intersection corner, put my left foot down (the sore knee side) and my left hip feels like I just jumped off the roof of a house onto my left ass-cheek!

Again....Are you freaking KIDDING ME??

I don't even know what to say.

Randy

Hip Redux

Red, you're falling apart!  

Nevrgivup

Redrum- I don't even know what to say.  Its your knee and hip now. My hips get sore after using the recumbent bike. Not too bad just noticeable.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I read somewhere that recumbent bikes are supposed to be bad for your hips.

Running is dumb.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

I read somewhere that recumbent bikes are supposed to be bad for your hips.

That's why I love MTB's avatar line......."Running is bad for you!!" 

I actually woke up feeling a little better.  I can walk like a normal person, though I definitely still feel like I strained something in the hip area.  (It feels like a combo of hip flexor and deep inside at the groin).  I did my kneeling hip flexor stretches last night as well as leg swings.  As for the knee part, I just leave it.  I'll wear my Tommie Copper brace today for some miraculous healing, right?   At least it feels comfortable.

Ahhhh well......cest la vi.

I'm supposed to run tonight so we'll see how I'm feeling by the time I get home & decide from there.

Randy

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I go in for my pre-op appointment this afternoon.  And of course I had to catch a cold (probably from those damn airplanes), so now I am snotty and miserable.    This was supposed to be a good week...so much for that!

Running is dumb.

Hip Redux

I go in for my pre-op appointment this afternoon.  And of course I had to catch a cold (probably from those damn airplanes), so now I am snotty and miserable.    This was supposed to be a good week...so much for that!

Good luck!

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

That's why I love MTB's avatar line......."Running is bad for you!!" 

I actually woke up feeling a little better.  I can walk like a normal person, though I definitely still feel like I strained something in the hip area.  (It feels like a combo of hip flexor and deep inside at the groin).  I did my kneeling hip flexor stretches last night as well as leg swings.  As for the knee part, I just leave it.  I'll wear my Tommie Copper brace today for some miraculous healing, right?   At least it feels comfortable.

Ahhhh well......cest la vi.

I'm supposed to run tonight so we'll see how I'm feeling by the time I get home & decide from there.

For the knee: Do you have clipless pedals?  Check your cleats.  If you don't it could still be your pedals and foot position.  Toe clips suck.  Get clipless and someone who is very good at lining you up right and help you install your cleats.  Also check the fore and aft position of your saddle.  Too far back and your knee gets hyper extended.

For the hips: check your saddle height.  Even if it's a hair too high, it'll cause your hips to rock back and forth (laterally) over the sides of the saddle.

/end bike setup lesson.

Nevrgivup

For the knee: Do you have clipless pedals?  Check your cleats.  If you don't it could still be your pedals and foot position.  Toe clips suck.  Get clipless and someone who is very good at lining you up right and help you install your cleats.  Also check the fore and aft position of your saddle.  Too far back and your knee gets hyper extended.

For the hips: check your saddle height.  Even if it's a hair too high, it'll cause your hips to rock back and forth (laterally) over the sides of the saddle.

/end bike setup lesson.

Isn't it best to get set up at a bike shop? I'm going to be buying a bike this spring. I really only want something that will get me about 20 miles or so. I'm thinking of a mountain bike. I really don't want to spend more than 3-500 dollars for it. Would it be horrible to get a bike at Dick's sporting goods? What would the most affordable option be for my particular needs?

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Isn't it best to get set up at a bike shop? I'm going to be buying a bike this spring. I really only want something that will get me about 20 miles or so. I'm thinking of a mountain bike. I really don't want to spend more than 3-500 dollars for it. Would it be horrible to get a bike at Dick's sporting goods? What would the most affordable option be for my particular needs?

I'll let the resident expert field this one with more detail, but...

Yes, get set up at a bike shop.  Don't get a mountain bike.  Don't buy a bike at Dick's.  You can get a decent bike for $500 for riding for fun/fitness, but if you wind up loving it, you're just going to spend more money on a better bike eventually...(or maybe that's just my problem! )

Running is dumb.

Nevrgivup

Yes, get set up at a bike shop.  Don't get a mountain bike.  Don't buy a bike at Dick's.  You can get a decent bike for $500 for riding for fun/fitness, but if you wind up loving it, you're just going to spend more money on a better bike eventually...(or maybe that's just my problem! )

Thanks! I really need to start looking at them soon. Spring is around the corner.

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

What she said.

A Dick's mountain bike will be way too heavy for starters.  Every going to take it mountain biking?  With your back issues, I suspect not.

If you let Beth talk you into triathlons you want something lighter with skinnier tires.  Near you, try http://compedgeskibike.com/

It's free to try.  And if you don't like them or their prices, try somewhere else.

Nevrgivup

What she said.

A Dick's mountain bike will be way too heavy for starters.  Every going to take it mountain biking?  With your back issues, I suspect not.

If you let Beth talk you into triathlons you want something lighter with skinnier tires.  Near you, try http://compedgeskibike.com/

It's free to try.  And if you don't like them or their prices, try somewhere else.

Yeah, I definitely do not want something heavy and no I'm going to be riding it mostly on my road and local bike paths. Thank you!

Hip Redux

Called my physical therapist's office to set up an evaluation appointment... gave my name to the receptionist... "Oh hi!  I remember you.  You haven't been here in a few months!" 

I told her I needed to get on the frequent flyer plan and she laughed a little too hard.  lol

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Called my physical therapist's office to set up an evaluation appointment... gave my name to the receptionist... "Oh hi!  I remember you.  You haven't been here in a few months!" 

I told her I needed to get on the frequent flyer plan and she laughed a little too hard.  lol

I feel you. I'm currently sitting at sports med in the waiting room thinking about how I spend way too much time here. My phone automatically connected to their wifi and I know all the receptionists. And my time here will only increase. Is all this over yet?

Running is dumb.