Beginners and Beyond

Sharing misery on the disabled list (Read 333 times)

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Oskkkkiiiiiiiii!  Come share the news!

I had PT this morning.  We worked on a lot of ROM type things and she even had me balance on my operated leg with no pain.  Crazy.  I got to do a wobble board type thing which was fun too.

I am continuing to have no pain, which is pretty amazing.  I go for my first post-op appt on Thursday to get these blasted stitches out.  No more showering with press and seal over my wounds - woo hoo!

Running is dumb.

Hip Redux

I have been in the process of updating everyone I had whined to about how the appt went.  lol  

From what he sees in the X-rays and MRI, he believes I have a pincer impingement and the iliopsoas is too tight against the joint and he thinks those were my main reasons for the tear.  So as of now, the plan is fixing the labrum, removing some bone from the pincer impingement, cutting and releasing the psoas muscle and then potentially a microfracture depending on how badly the cartilage is damaged.

He also said that I have a mild retroversion in my right hip - which I think means the socket faces a little off from center. And that I'm hypermobile in all my joints, both of which could contribute to how I ended up in his office.

He did say that he thought my left hip looked better, so maybe I won't have bilateral issues!

Four months before resuming running, if all goes well.   

Oh and the call to my mom was great.  And I mean that sarcastically.  She's going to drive down to be with me for the surgery.  Which means my dad will come.  Which means my poor husband has to entertain them while I am in surgery.   LIKE that day needs to be more stressful.  lol

Pinktastic

I have been in the process of updating everyone I had whined to about how the appt went.  lol  

From what he sees in the X-rays and MRI, he believes I have a pincer impingement and the iliopsoas is too tight against the joint and he thinks those were my main reasons for the tear.  So as of now, the plan is fixing the labrum, removing some bone from the pincer impingement, cutting and releasing the psoas muscle and then potentially a microfracture depending on how badly the cartilage is damaged.

He also said that I have a mild retroversion in my right hip - which I think means the socket faces a little off from center. And that I'm hypermobile in all my joints, both of which could contribute to how I ended up in his office.

He did say that he thought my left hip looked better, so maybe I won't have bilateral issues!

Four months before resuming running, if all goes well.   

Oh and the call to my mom was great.  And I mean that sarcastically.  She's going to drive down to be with me for the surgery.  Which means my dad will come.  Which means my poor husband has to entertain them while I am in surgery.   LIKE that day needs to be more stressful.  lol

I must have missed it, but when's the big day?   Sounds like your doctor knows what's what so hopefully you'll be fixed up good as new in no time!    Hugs!

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

Hip Redux

May 2nd!

Nevrgivup

Good luck with the surgery Oski. You were able to get an appointment quick.

Red- Sorry to hear about the bum hip.

AFM- Today I ran my first continuous and outdoor run. A very slow 10 minute mile. 3.7 total of rolling hills. So glad to be back out there. I'm also getting closer to being discharged from therapy.  Smile

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

delicate flower

In all seriousness, if Mr. O wants a buffer there, let me know and I'd be happy to keep him company.

<3

onemile

Oskkkkiiiiiiiii!  Come share the news!

I had PT this morning.  We worked on a lot of ROM type things and she even had me balance on my operated leg with no pain.  Crazy.  I got to do a wobble board type thing which was fun too.

I am continuing to have no pain, which is pretty amazing.  I go for my first post-op appt on Thursday to get these blasted stitches out.  No more showering with press and seal over my wounds - woo hoo!

That is pretty amazing. Hope this means you are healing fast.

Oski - hope yours goes as smoothly!

Hip Redux

In all seriousness, if Mr. O wants a buffer there, let me know and I'd be happy to keep him company.

I like you too much to subject you to my mother's neuroses.   Tongue

Will run for scenery.

Hey Öski, congratulations on the left hip. 

But on the right one, holy crap!  They're going to shave a bone, slash a muscle, release an impingement AND fix your labrum; sounds like childbirth....   No wonder mom and dad want to be there for the special moment.

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

I like you too much to subject you to my mother's neuroses.   Tongue

LOL!!

Well, put in 3 miles on the hamster wheel tonight & all went well.  If I bounced too much I could feel the hip, but it kinda felt weird.  It wasn't the same sharp pain from Saturday night, it was like aggrivating a sore area which I *HOPE* means it's healing just like an acute injury.

I iced it tonight just for giggles & gonna see how it feels in the next couple days.

In other news today, I heard that while heart disease is the #1 killer of people *NOW*, it'll swing to cancer in the near future.  So when I made the comment about picking 1 of 2.......

Cardiologist

Orthopedic surgeon

(Psychiatrist optional)

I guess we can add Oncologist to the list, eh?

Yippeee......the older I get......the worse the outlook!!  

Randy

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

So basically poor Oski has to go through exactly what I am going through, with a little extra thrown in for good measure.    Seriously, David Horton has open heart surgery and is running again within 6 weeks, but we won't start again until 3-4 months if we're lucky.  This "injury"/congenital defect really sucks.  I don't know of much else that sidelines a person for so long.

Anyway, done whining.  I go for my first post-op appointment today, where I assume I will get my stitches out.  Normal day to day things are becoming less tiring as well.  I wish I could say I was enjoying sleeping in, but I'm not able to sleep in my normal positions just yet, so I am not sleeping as well as I would like.  I've had some minor aching now that I've started PT, but I'm trying to remember to ice and that seems to help.

How is everyone else?

Running is dumb.

Hip Redux

When do you go back to work, Mandy?  I'm working out my schedule now and I am thinking about two weeks off and then 4 weeks of part time working from home.    I hope that's enough?   Sounds like I will be on crutches for at least ~4-6 weeks.

You know, I might have ignored the pain longer if you hadn't told me your story, so thank you for blazing the trail for this crappy injury.  Big grin

I got a little freaked out  hearing stories from people taking a year to recover from their psoas release surgery.  Ugh.

Hip Redux

Hey Öski, congratulations on the left hip. 

But on the right one, holy crap!  They're going to shave a bone, slash a muscle, release an impingement AND fix your labrum; sounds like childbirth....   No wonder mom and dad want to be there for the special moment.

Yep, pretty much.   Go big or go home!

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

When do you go back to work, Mandy?  I'm working out my schedule now and I am thinking about two weeks off and then 4 weeks of part time working from home.    I hope that's enough?   Sounds like I will be on crutches for at least ~4-6 weeks.

You know, I might have ignored the pain longer if you hadn't told me your story, so thank you for blazing the trail for this crappy injury.  Big grin

I got a little freaked out  hearing stories from people taking a year to recover from their psoas release surgery.  Ugh.

I am just so thrilled I can be your guide.    But seriously, I am glad that I helped with something.  It's better to know and have a plan of action than remain in blissful ignorance.  (Most of the time.)

I am off work for all of March.  (Yay sick time and short term disability.)  I may go back that first week of April at 4 hours in the office/4 hours working from home or 4 hours in the office/4 hours vacation for a week or two and then go back full time. So basically I have 4 weeks completely off and then it's sort of up in the air.  But I could easily be working from home right now.  As long as you have a laptop and recliner, I would say you would be good to go with working from home.

I am going out into the world tonight - one of my friends is picking me up and taking me out to dinner.  I am a little nervous about sitting in a restaurant chair for an hour or so, but I'll see how it goes!

Running is dumb.

bluerun

Super B****

Sounds like you're recovering well, Mandy!!

Oski, you're getting a lot of crap over with at once, so you won't have to worry about any of it after you're done.  Err... that's the theory, anyway.  Hasn't worked out so well for me in the past.

redrum, psychiatrists are too expensive for people with bodies like mine.  Ah well.  Isn't it liberating to be able to choose how you'll die? 

This is me.  F*** YOU, LEG.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog