Beginners and Beyond

Weekend Penguins (Read 20 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good luck weekend racers.  Docket and who else?

Get well, injured Penguins.

We might have to squeeze a short run in between storms, today.

PADRunner

Morning all. Rest weekend for me.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning all.  10.1 very slow miles done this morning.  I didn't get out there quite early enough and the heat and sun took it out of me.  I think I'm going to have to start putting the coffee maker on autobrew and get out the door by 6am or earlier for the summer.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Zelanie

Morning!  Not too much going on here.  My RP started her marathon almost an hour ago, but no runner tracking.  I have my WW meeting in a bit, then will probably run 6 at some point.

Kathleen, Brilliant, Jack, heal up!

Good morning Penguins.

Thanks for the well wishes. I'll keep you posted on what's happening. Meanwhile...

Racers - good luck.

PAD - enjoy your weekend.

Zel - How long have you been doing WW? It helped me knock off 30 pounds - great program!

Brilliant and Jack - From my heart, UGH!!!

Today - MRI and then poking around the house to gear up for a garage sale. Way too much clutter after being in our home for 7+ years. DH and I did have a camping weekend planned, but the campground we were going to is flooded. Nice to be home, though. Shhh! Family doesn't know we aren't gone.

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K

hog4life

Kathleen, 10+ years in this house, accompanied with 30+ years of marriage= gobs and gobs of unneeded stuff! Good luck with that garage sale and heal up.

I did a 5k this morning as a 36:00 pacer for the NOBO class. I set my virtual runner mode up on my watch and it was quite easy running the consistent splits. Maybe I need to try that in a race!

I did the course plus a little for a warmup, then the "race", then grabbed my handheld and run the 10k course, so I should have a little over 12 on the morning. Now I need to get some sleep after I stuff my face.

on my way to badass

Good weekend Penguins!

I raced today.  @freihofersrun. 36:23 was my chip time.  Slower than usual but warm.  I am very happy with my splits.  11:40, 11:32, 11:35, 1:41.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Temp dropped about 15* since I got up. Got out our new $15 Asics shells and ran 3.2 in the rain.  They worked fine.

30+ years for our house. Don't know how we will ever get rid of the stuff.   Good luck with he garage sale, Kathleen.

Didn't know you could run slow, Mitch.

Zelanie

Kathleen, I work there. I lost just over 100 pounds as a member, and then just went to work at my same meeting after that. This August will be 3 years at goal.

My RP is through mile 21 and way ahead of goal. Her BF met her at 20 but dropped because he couldn't keep up.

SF congrats! Very nice splits. Smile

MTA- She finished in 4:20, so 10 minutes under her goal.  She and Ginny would have been toe to toe at the line!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Hi, RD for me.

Damaris

Zelanie

Hi, RD for me.

Racing tomorrow? Good luck!

on my way to badass

Z- congrats to your RP!

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

GinnyinPA

Jerry - good job running in the rain.

PAD - enjoy your restful weekend.

DR - good luck tomorrow.  I hope you're enjoying San Diego.

sapf - I keep saying I'm going to get up earlier, but so far haven't managed to do it.  Going to bed at 1 or 2:00 makes it hard to get up early.  Good luck.

Z - I hope you got your six in.  Congratulations to your running partner.  I'm glad she did well.

Kathleen - I hope the MRI can give you some answers.  Good luck with the yard sale.  We have a big neighborhood sale every year in early May.  We did that last year and ended up pretty much giving stuff away just so we could go back inside.  OTOH, I wasn't as much interested in getting money as in getting rid of the unwanted junk.  Too much didn't sell and went back to the basement.

Mitch - good job pacing the 5k.  I've never heard of 5k pacers.  Nice way to stretch the miles.

StoneFence - Nice splits.

I really wanted to run outdoors today, so we headed for the mountains where it was 5 degrees cooler and shady in the trees. I wanted to explore some of the ATV/snowmobile trails that I've never seen.  Turns out there is a whole maze of woods roads and trails that don't show on the State Forest map.  I found a snowmobile map online that showed a couple of loops - a short one for Jim and Ben and a longer one for me - but didn't realize that there were a lot of other roads that crossed without any signage.  I got lucky in my guesses and ended up running the loop I intended; Jim got off on the wrong path and did a shorter loop than he had planned.  The route I followed had a lot of up and down (over 1000' uphill) so I was really slow. It took me 2 hours to run 9.7 miles - but trail runs are always slow for me. Since I've been having problems breathing I ended up walking a lot but I still enjoyed the run. There were lots of ferns and blooming mountain laurel and a couple of small streams. (Fortunately for me, since I filled up my water bottle midway and still ended up almost empty.)  When I got back to the trailhead, the truck was gone.  Jim got worried that I was lost or having problems and went looking for me, just missing me by about 2 minutes when I took a short cut into the parking lot just as he left.  I was tired and dizzy so I just sat and waited until he came back, 20 minutes later.  Ice cream at the state park made us both feel better.

hog4life

Ginny, the NOBO stand for No Boundaries. It is sponsored by New Balance throgh the LRS called Fleet Feet. They use a program very similar to C25K, but have coaches, mentors, speakers, and tons of support for beginners. at the end of the 10 week program,  they have a graduation race. All the participants form their own goals and times with the help of the lead coach. Then the mentors are assigned a pace to help them reach their goal, it very rewarding.

Jerry, it was actually easier today using the virtual pacer feature on my watch. Last time I tried to do it by feel, and although I hit my target, my paces were all over the place.

I finally added up the miles and it totaled 12.97, haha. I started working on getting my work scheduled plotted out on a Calan Der last night. So now I just need to add in the workouts from the HH Intermediate II. I'll share when I get it done for some input, because I've decided not to buy the custom plan. I think I can put together the same type plan that the coaches would do.