Beginners and Beyond

The 2019 New York City Marathon: Race Report (Read 71 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Well, I was instructed to eat it all at once, not sip on it like a Pepsi. I don't even know if I could do that! You'd basically be carrying it in that case. How many do you sip during a marathon.

Well, during my 20 milers I kept 3 (of course I had a hydration pack on). I'd squeeze (not sip or squirt) probably 3 times, never ever occurred to me to try and squeeze the whole gu into my mouth and I think by mile 20 I would puke. But the capris I'm hoping to wear this Saturday have a large enough back pocket for my phone (without the casing) and 3 gu's, or without my phone, 4-5 gu's. I'm still debating on whether I want to take my phone or not, probably won't.

But I'm not trying to finish 26.2 miles as fast as I can, I just want to finish, so time is not really the concern for me.

Squirt must be a dirty word for you lol.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Well, I was instructed to eat it all at once, not sip on it like a Pepsi. I don't even know if I could do that! You'd basically be carrying it in that case. How many do you sip during a marathon.

I take them down all at once too (or at least I used to when that was my fueling strategy). I really don't find that that bad if you time them right up with water stations...gulp GU, grab cup, go.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I take them down all at once too (or at least I used to when that was my fueling strategy). I really don't find that that bad if you time them right up with water stations...gulp GU, grab cup, go.

When I get back up to my 2.5+ hour training LRs, I'll give it a try, but something tells me I am going to regret it lol.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Thanks! Lots to build on and that is what I'll take into the dark and cold season. Just gotta pick an ideal event and right now I'm leaning towards the Monumental. I had all but decided on Chicago but logistically and everything else speaking, Indianapolis is a gem. Still weighing it so we shall see....

Plus, I will be here. Smile

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I take gels without water and I don't worry if I don't have anything to eat them with.  I do take my own sweet time eating them and I start every 5 miles and might take 0.30 to finish it.  No issues.

Damaris

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I take gels without water and I don't worry if I don't have anything to eat them with.  I do take my own sweet time eating them and I start every 5 miles and might take 0.30 to finish it.  No issues.

I just take the water to wash it all down, don't really have to but it helps and during summer runs it's an excuse to get some extra water in. I also start at every 5 miles during my training runs, hopefully I don't freak out this Saturday and do anything too early like last time 

PRs

LRB

So I heartily commend you for a job well done, poncho boy.

lpb? 

22,000 extra runners actually, as much as how many run at Detroit total. Crazy.

You'd still want to make this a goal race if you can swing it. I am probably the least skilled at distance running of the crew, so for many of the others here, you could get right down to the business of racing right from the giddy up as Jenny did last year and as blue will do next year.

I think after it's all said and done, I will be better off for my experience Sunday in future races provided my body holds up.

LRB

Props to you, the thought frightens me!

I get this film of GU in my mouth that I need to wash out with water frequently. I also rinse my hands of the stickiness a few times.

Cyberic

lpb? 

22,000 extra runners actually, as much as how many run at Detroit total. Crazy.

You'd still want to make this a goal race if you can swing it. I am probably the least skilled at distance running of the crew, so for many of the others here, you could get right down to the business of racing right from the giddy up as Jenny did last year and as blue will do next year.

I think after it's all said and done, I will be better off for my experience Sunday in future races provided my body holds up.

Your Strava splits are perfect. From what I remember, Onemile wasn't so happy about her finish time either. From where I'm sitting, it just seems like a difficult race, for multiple reasons.

DavePNW

I take my gels in about 2 swallows, with a 3rd to squeeze the last drops out of the package. I always have water afterwards, so need to time it with aid stations. And I usually like to map that out in advance; since I don't gulp the gel down in an instant, by the time I see the aid station, it's almost too late.

Dave

LRB

Race day, well you wanted NYCM, and you got it! All of it 

I did, didn't I? 

I think my plan to use the mile splits to adjust my pace would've worked were it not for the long and short laps. It's actually how I raced my first two marathons using a pace band and non-GPS watch.

Thanks. I think the training definitely paid off, just not with the finish time I wanted. The last 6 miles was zombie land, and could've easily included me but I still had legs. Phew!

DavePNW

From what I remember, Onemile wasn't so happy about her finish time either. From where I'm sitting, it just seems like a difficult race, for multiple reasons.

Yep. I think it would be cool, to run through the city, and soak in the environment. But I think I'd want to do it without an aggressive goal. Which is something I've never tried.

Dave

KCRuns

LRB, it may not have been the finish time you wanted, but it was still an impressive race and you stayed consistent throughout.  That's not easy to do.  I'm not sure the auto-lap would have helped you.  In Chicago, and I'm sure it's the same in NY, the buildings interfere with the GPS and the pace and mile markers never align just right.  A pace band is really the only thing that would have taken the guess work out of it for you.

Another race on a better, less crowded course will give you the result you want, but it still must be incredibly satisfying to have run NYC!

Also, if NY is anything like CHI, then approx 8 city blocks=1 mile.  I can't imagine walking that far after a marathon, but it might actually have been a really smart thing to do that will help with your recovery.

DavePNW

Also, if NY is anything like CHI, then approx 8 city blocks=1 mile.  

I grew up with that unit conversion being a solid fact, and then it always surprised me when I went other places and found it to be different.

Dave

KCRuns

I grew up with that unit conversion being a solid fact, and then it always surprised me when I went other places and found it to be different.

I said "if".  And here it's actually pretty close to that with a small margin of error due to building interference.

LRB, we need you to use the route tool to figure out the exact distance from the finish line to your hotel.  Just so we know how crazy that was to walk that far.