Beginners and Beyond

TuesDAILIES (Read 33 times)

Baboon

delicate flower

Were you paying attention when you registered?

Wife told me to register for the race so I registered for the race.  In times like that, one does not have time to think.

<3

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

And then the Dr said " you should buy a bike".  Haha.  After the laughter faded he said " you runners are the worst patients, try this carbon fiber insole"

There is no fix for my foot, just learning to deal with it.  I can do whatever doesn't hurt enough to stop.  It's going to progressively ruin my toe/foot, but im not going damage it by using it.

Buy a bike, ha.  Fuck that guy.   I'm going for a run in the morning.  We'll see how it goes after that.

Runner with a riding problem.

onemile

There is no fix for my foot, just learning to deal with it.  I can do whatever doesn't hurt enough to stop.  It's going to progressively ruin my toe/foot, but im not going damage it by using it.

So he didn't think running caused this? And more running won't make it worse? But it will still get worse no matter what you do?

Hip Redux

New England LOVES to hold sports grudges!

Ha, seriously lol

There was another good sign that said "Run like United Airlines wants your seat".

Hip Redux

And then the Dr said " you should buy a bike".  Haha.  After the laughter faded he said " you runners are the worst patients, try this carbon fiber insole"

Buy a bike, ha.  Fuck that guy.   I'm going for a run in the morning.  We'll see how it goes after that.

Time for a second opinion?

In this day and age, I'd have to be pretty hard pressed to believe that "nothing can be done" is really the case.

Cyberic

Running is nice and all, but don't forget you've gotta work to earn money. That, at least in my case, is more important.

DavePNW

There was another good sign that said "Run like United Airlines wants your seat".

That's good.

Dave

LRB

We're spoiled here in that I can easily find not only a sports doc, but one who runs, is an athlete or at least gets it. That doesn't do anything for you but the point is it helps immensely when someone is working with you, not against you or indifferent. Running injuries are a puzzle, so a lot of it is trying to figure shit out (either how it happened, how to prevent it from happening or how to run with it).

The thing I would look at being it's the feet is the type of shoes you are running in, and whether or not you need to move to something that is cushioned like a mother fucker, or use some sort of insole. Also look into whether hills play any part in what's going on with it.

Not that I know a damn thing about anything, but I have a ton of experience being injured.

No more marathons

They're intervals, not 8 kilometers straight.

#easypeasy

Yeah, turned out easier than I expected.

I had one hard tempo run last week that kind of set me back a bit.  Thinking now it might have been the weather.

Averaged just a little over 10K pace for these.  Encouraging.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

get a second opinion.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

There is no fix as far as restoring the blood flow to the bone.  The toe joint can be surgically fused, or even partially removed to alleviate the arthritic pain of the joint ( the Dr said it just kinda flops around when you do the bone removal).  My pain isn't nearly to that point.  The dead bone causes the head of the bone to flatten.  It's arthritic, so will of course get progressively worse.  He wouldn't venture a prediction on a timeframe.

Steroids and anti- inflammatories can be a treatment for the inflammation.  Orthotics help some people.

I guess it's like running; an experiment of one.  I'm not planning on a large dose of stupidity, but I'm starting my experiment in the morning with a short jog.

Runner with a riding problem.

onemile

Yeah, turned out easier than I expected.

I had one hard tempo run last week that kind of set me back a bit.  Thinking now it might have been the weather.

Averaged just a little over 10K pace for these.  Encouraging.

Nice - I have had that workout before and it's one I don't really mind too much

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Disney race weather is looking Boston Marathony with more humidity.  AT FIVE IN THE MORNING.  WTF, Florida.  Fix that.

Eh, 5-8am is the highest dewpoint time in Florida.  Hello?

It does look Wintery to me, but we've hit 95F four times already, so...

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Wife told me to register for the race so I registered for the race.  In times like that, one does not have time to think.

Haha.  It's April to boot.  Last year we were warmer by then, so maybe she thought it was a fluke.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

So he didn't think running caused this? And more running won't make it worse? But it will still get worse no matter what you do?

From what I have read about the disease, running or exercise does not cause it. If the bone is dead, it's just a matter of time (depending on the condition) and luck, to see if it gets worse.

Damaris