Beginners and Beyond

The Penguin Weekend (Read 16 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

It's International Talk Like a Pirate Day !!!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning !!!

Possibly 5 for us.  Hope the bike trail doesn't have too much debris from last night's storms.  No damage, just a wet newspaper.

Good luck racing, Scott, Docket, sapf, and Mitch and any others.

Amazonian Princess

Good morning, Jerry, and Penguins yet to rise and shine 

Six miles run/walk planned for this morning. Running club has a "course preview" for next week's RnR HM so we're meeting downtown to go over best places to park, where to meet, and then some miles on the course. Very bad week for me; poor food choices and since ten miles last Saturday, the only running I've done was a few loops around the outside of the gym during my Thursday session with the trainer 

And hey, does anyone else scan the Penguin thread intro for extra sentences now?

I can. I will. I am. 

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Yarrrr Penguins!

Morning Jerry and Bacon.

I have some number of miles today, and an 18 mile tuneup race tomorrow.  I was supposed to do something relatively high today - 8 or so.  I woke up super congested and gross.  I think I'll shorten today's run a bit.  I'm taking some emergen-c and claritin D and hoping it is just allergy crap and not sickness crap.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

From the Internet.

7 mile "long" run today - alllll rolling hills. I had no idea there would be so many hills up here! Little bit dead but tomorrow is a rest day so I should be good to go by Monday.

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins!

Have a nice 5, Jerry.

Bacon, yes, sometimes I check the intro too!

Jill, take it easy today.

Lauren, nice running.  Enjoy your trip.

5 easy done for me this morning.  I'm planning to have a lousy weekend.  OUR AC WENT OUT YESTERDAY!!  Highs close to 100 today and tomorrow. And no service appointment until Wednesday.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

We ran extra miles so we could surprise/cheer on a running friend who was on a trail race, which happened to be on our usual route.  So we ended up with 9.  Very busy on the bike path today.

That's good to plan out race day, Bacon.

Hope you get uncongested, sapf.

"Enjoy"  the hills, Lauren.

Sorry about the A/C, Brill.  Hope you cooled off from your run.

Have a great weekend !!!

PADRunner

5 miles this morning.

I passed my test this morning and now have a General Class Radio License.

GinnyinPA

Brilliant - sorry about the AC.  Do you have any friends you can stay with?

PAD - congratulations on the radio license.  Is that ham radio?

Jerry - why didn't you race?  Good job on the 9 miles.

Bacon - I hope your run went well this morning.  Is the lack of running just busy life, or are you fighting injury?

Jill - good luck with the 18 miler tomorrow.  I hope your sinuses clear up completely.

Lauren - good job on the hilly miles.

AFM: I'm really having motivation issues this week, so I did my run on the TM, figuring that if it was really awful, I could cut it short without having a long walk home.  I ended up running the full 8 miles I planned, giving me 42 for the week.  Tomorrow will be cooler, which should help make running outdoors a little more attractive.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

5 miles this morning.

I passed my test this morning and now have a General Class Radio License.

Congrats, PAD

PADRunner

PAD - congratulations on the radio license.  Is that ham radio?

Yes, the upgrade gives me a lot more privileges.

Thanks Jerry.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Happy Birthday Docket, and good luck in Montreal today !!!

Zelanie

Morning!  I've been super busy, but hanging in there.  I skipped my planned 11-miler on Wednesday and didn't try to make it up, just moving on.  So I ran the scheduled 7 last night, and have 14 planned for today.

Bacon- I like the new sentence in the intro!  I say we keep it! Smile  Hope the course preview went well!

Jerry- Sounds like an awesome reason to get in some extra miles!

sapf- Good luck on the 18!

Lauren- Enjoy the RD!

Brilliant- Hope you're finding ways to keep cool.

PAD- Congrats!

Ginny- I've done that same thing before, now that I have a TM.  Glad you have that as an option when needed.

D- Happy birthday and good luck!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Congrats on the 18, Kristin and Jill.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Yesterday I wound up doing 3 easy on the treadmill instead of the 8 that my plan called for.  I didn't want to mess around with possibly being sick, but I think it was mostly allergies because I don't feel terrible today.

That 18 mile race was tough on me.  The course is three counter clockwise loops of central park starting near 102nd street.  Going up both Harlem Hill and Cat Hill 3 times was brutal.  The leader of the race passed me when I was at about mile 3.5 - he was at mile 9.5 at that point.  Granted I didn't pass the start line until 13 minutes after the gun, but still NYRR racers are really fast!  I wound up running 18.6 miles because of urgent potty problems which required me to run to the bathrooms near the start of the course after I'd completed the first loop (which was probably .1-.2 miles away from the actual course route).  I started the race late but it was chip timed so no big deal. After completing my second loop, I started getting stomach/side cramps around mile 12.5 which lasted until mile 17.  Kristin caught up to me around mile 14 or so and we chatted for a bit before she stopped to use the portapotty.  I kept on trucking because I think if I'd stopped at that point I'd have DNFed.  I saw her again at the finish and we hung out as we relaxed and ate our bagels. Overall it was a hard long run, but I made it through it.  I'm hopeful that I won't have such issues during the marathon itself because the start (for my wave) is so late that I should have dealt with all of the potty business beforehand.

My college friend finished 7th in his age group and ran the 18 miles in 2:00:12.  He passed me when I was at mile 5 and he was at mile 11.  He's blazing fast.  My dog owner friend also ran it and passed me when I was at mile 11 and he was at mile 17.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21)