Beginners and Beyond

Just do it ThursDAILIES (Read 33 times)

DavePNW

We never progressed much past a VCR for movies. Never did the Bluray thing (it's like a dvd right?). We used to play DVDs in DH's Xbox 360, that I got from the Netflix service when they actually mailed you the discs. Funny how I always had a huge queue of stuff I wanted to watch. Now, no mailing involved, you can stream instantly and there's nothing I want to see on there.

We did use a DVD player for a long time, although never bothered with Bluray either (yes, it's a high-def DVD), and currently only watch things via streaming. Maybe we still have a DVD player that hasn't been touched for years, but I guess DD's game systems will play anything.

Dave

RunningOnSand

We never progressed much past a VCR for movies. Never did the Bluray thing (it's like a dvd right?). We used to play DVDs in DH's Xbox 360, that I got from the Netflix service when they actually mailed you the discs. Funny how I always had a huge queue of stuff I wanted to watch. Now, no mailing involved, you can stream instantly and there's nothing I want to see on there.

That's because their content sucks!!!!!

Although I heard there's a new show/series based off Margaret Atwood's Alias Grace, which was good and a quick read if anyone wants to read it. Or just watch it, now.

RunningOnSand

We did use a DVD player for a long time, although never bothered with Bluray either (yes, it's a high-def DVD), and currently only watch things via streaming. Maybe we still have a DVD player that hasn't been touched for years, but I guess DD's game systems will play anything.

The thing that is awesome about DVDs is that if you ever have had DVDs (which, I know some of you haven't), but you can buy a server and upload (burn?) the DVDs to the server, and then watch them anywhere you go, without having to bring the server with you.

I actually watch almost no TV, except when I'm dreadmilling or when Handmaid's Tale is airing. And now I have to wait til next spring or summer to watch the new season. LAME.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Oh I guess we can still play CDs in our cars (although don’t). Except for my 1990 Miata, which has a cassette deck.

We no longer have CDS. We saved everything into the computers and the backups

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

we still have a Blu-ray’s DVDs and player. The quality is much better than DVDs everywhere. Except we hardly ever play any because most of the stuff I get from our premium channels.

Damaris

Cyberic

We no longer have CDS. We saved everything into the computers and the backups

I still buy CDs. Unpack them, rip them to MP3s and store them. It's like buying the backup first, and then making the useful files from the backup.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

We just download music now. I have 40K songs or so.

Damaris

From the Internet.

I am alllllll about Netflix. I put on my "comfort shows" (mostly The Office and Parks and Rec) if I can't shut my brain down before bed and a lot of their original content is good. We're watching The Dark Crystal series now and it's an enjoyable watch (even though the puppets still creep me out, lol).

Cyberic

Nice!

I was indeed an early adopter because of the Dolby coding, which allowed the sound effects to be reproduced as the movie intended. A guy walking through the leaves from behind would come through the rear speakers only for instance. Or an airplane flying from left to right on the screen would come through the left then right speaker and fade away as the plane would fly away and so on.

I usually build the front channel speakers and a cabinet for the subwoofers with crossovers in each. I do buy powered subwoofers for theater sound and use the custom cabinet for music. I buy the center channel speaker and the rear surround speakers as well. It's all pretty detailed stuff and takes an eternity but man does it deliver! If you're into that kind of thing that is, which I always was. I left my last creation at my former home and do not have the space in the spot I'm at now. It's one of the things I'll be looking forward to though when I buy my next place. 👍

That's very cool. I wouldn't do that myself, but I totally understand liking building your own stuff. For a while I did a little woodworking, and the plan was to refurnish the whole house, in time. One single piece of furniture is veeeery expensive, as I buy hard wood, I need the tools, I buy good hardware when needed, and none of that is cheap. And then it takes me forever to build it. But I'm proud of the results. I even built an electric guitar once. It is the only electric guitar I own. I designed  the electronics myself with a few phone calls to my dad to help me out on that. No big deal to someone with electronics background, but to me it was a challenge. To me, it is worth 1000 times more than a store bought guitar.

Cyberic

I am alllllll about Netflix. I put on my "comfort shows" (mostly The Office and Parks and Rec) if I can't shut my brain down before bed and a lot of their original content is good. We're watching The Dark Crystal series now and it's an enjoyable watch (even though the puppets still creep me out, lol).

I love Netflix too. I'm big on series, and less on movies, so Netflix is a good match for me.

The Dark Crystal, I think I started watching that, but moved on... not sure. I like some Sci-Fi stuff, but not all kinds.

DavePNW

Content of the streaming services pretty much sucks for movies. We get most of our movies via Comcast On Demand service (yes we still have cable.) But so many good shows available on Netflix, Amazon, etc., both old & original, I wouldn't know where to tell people to start.

Speaking of comfort shows on Netflix - I recently started re-watching one of my favorite shows of all time, The West Wing. For probably the 5th time. And DW & I also started re-watching the Ken Burns documentary on the Civil War. Just geeking out.

Dave

DavePNW

Handmaid's Tale 

I've watched a ton of streaming series, but this has not been one of them, and likely will not be. Even though we got Hulu not long ago (exclusively for Brooklyn Nine Nine). It sounds too depressing to me, and to DW it's a non-starter.

Dave

sdWhiskers

It's funny, I only have 30-60 mins available for TV watching each day (before bed) and most of the original Netflix shows just don't do it for me. I'll watch 0.5-2 episodes of something and then move on. Seems like quantity over quality (there are so many now!). I'm working my way through Season 9 of Shameless but there's nothing else I've come across that I like that much. I'd like to start Handmaids Tale but we already have cable, Netflix and Amazon so adding Hulu seems like too much

LRB

I'm like the cave man of the bunch. I haven't streamed a single movie and the only show I've ever watched online was about 4 minutes of the first episode of The Boys on Amazon. #isuck

DavePNW

The Boys on Amazon. 

This show is awesome.

Dave