Beginners and Beyond

Shout it out WednesDAILIES (Read 40 times)

LRB

I've only ever used Asics and Newtons. I'd like to try a different brand, but I'm clueless. Are all the brands similar in quality?

In my experience all shoe brands offer high, medium and low quality models.  I have only run in Asics the past two seasons mostly because the models I run in are high quality, but even they have lower quality models that I would never run in.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Do the streets ever get flooded? It must make driving in traffic dangerous... Be careful! Also: not worth visiting a hairdresser often with weather like that. 

We flood all the time.  My area used to be part of the Everglades (hence why is humid as fuck) so we do flood a lot.  And yes, I use a lot of products to keep my hair afloat but no hairdryer (waste of time, LOL).

Remember that picture I posted with the bad rain?  This is today.  I cannot see anything at all through my window.

Damaris

happylily

In my experience all shoe brands offer high, medium and low quality models.  I have only run in Asics the past two seasons mostly because the models I run in are high quality, but even they have lower quality models that I would never run in.

Do you determine the quality by the price? I have noticed that the heavier the shoe, often the price will be higher. But some of the light race shoes are cheaper. I figured it was because there is less material?

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Which one would you consider the low quality models?  If, for example, the Mizuno brand.  The prices are mostly the same for all models I use, so what would determine the quality?  Duration?

Damaris

happylily

We flood all the time.  My area used to be part of the Everglades (hence why is humid as fuck) so we do flood a lot.  And yes, I use a lot of products to keep my hair afloat but no hairdryer (waste of time, LOL).

Remember that picture I posted with the bad rain?  This is today.  I cannot see anything at all through my window.

Holy cow! 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

LRB

Do you determine the quality by the price? I have noticed that the heavier the shoe, often the price will be higher. But some of the light race shoes are cheaper. I figured it was because there is less material?

Edit: I meant "How do you..."... How to post and work at the same time. 

By how it feels on my feet or sometimes how it looks. Like it could be a $100 shoe or higher but feel cheap.

Docket I have only tried on the Wave Musha and Inspire by your favorite shoe company both of which were okay in terms of quality (IIRC).  My biggest issue with Mizuno is most of their shoes are butt fuckin ugly, but beauty is obviously in the eye of the beholder as they have some of the hottest sellers in the sport.

I have tried on models by Nike, Asics and Brooks that were not up to snuff in one form or another.  As for what exact models those were I couldn't tell you because I didn't buy them.

The three pair I wear from Asics work for me, that doesn't mean that other models from other companies do not it just means that I have not tried them yet.

I am excited to try the Tempo 6 from Adidas though, and the Wave Musha obviously.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I am also accused of being the "grammar police." My latest pet peeve is when people say "these ones" or "those ones."

Jack, you better stay out of Texas then, lol, you'd be correcting "us folks" here for that all the time. 

Jay, those ones in California ain't got no good idear about us all and our  Texas lingo.   I can't say 'grammar' because in Texas 'grammar' is the lady who is the mom of the moms and dads with kids.   Don't be talking about our Texas grammars, Jack! ..  

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

The latest batches of Mizunos looks like, as a reviewer once put it, they let a kid go crazy with the crayon box. I personally think that Mizunos are a fantastic trainer. My Wave Riders were the first running shoes I bought, and I got over 600 miles in them. My Precision 12s were retired with almost 1k miles on them. My Precision 13s have over 600 and look brand new. For shoes that you can get for $50 at RW with the 15% off coupon, it's very hard to beat.

Sauconys seem to be a faster shoe for me. They have generally lower heel-to-toe drop and are lighter. They do run a little more expensive and I don't think you can get as many miles out of them. I do have a pair of Kinvara 3s with 630 miles on them. I don't work well with their Virrattas, even though I think they could be an epic shoe, if they just fit me better.

On my wish list for a while has been adidas adizero Boston series shoes, Brooks Ghost and Nike Flyknit Lunars. Each one is a bit different, but I'll fit it in the rotation. Smile

- Andrew

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I've only ever used Asics and Newtons. I'd like to try a different brand, but I'm clueless. Are all the brands similar in quality?

I was lucky many years ago and got to be a running shoe tester, so I've run in quite a few brands.  These days I primarily wear the ASICS Nimbus, which is a cushioned shoe with a little more support for 'bigger" (in my case, 'fatter") guys.   The Mizuno Wave Creation is quite similar to the Nimbus.   The ASICS cumulus is pretty much the same shoe as the Nimbus, except that it is a lot lighter, a nice shoe for neutral foot/underpronaters who aren't carrying some extra weight and want a lighter, 'speedier' cushioned shoe.   I hate Reeboks and Nike, no matter WHAT model I ran with in those brands, none of their shoes ever worked for me.   LOVED the Saucony Trigon model, but then Saucony pissed me off by discontinuing it and coming out with the Triumph in its place, a shoe I absolutely HATED.   New Balance shoes were good for me too but then, like Saucony, they discontinued my favorite model, and I could not find another that I really liked as much.  So it was back to ASICS.  I say 'back to" because when I first started running I used the ASICS Tiger - most of you probably are way too young to even remember those - which was the precursor of what developed into the Nimbus.  So I guess you can say in my 31 years of being a runner, I've now come 'full circle' with my running shoes.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

StepbyStep-SH

Regarding quality, I think that brands are probably similar at similar price points. But how they fit and work for each person is very individual. And how each version of a certain model works is also individual. I had great luck with Saucony Rides from v.1 to v.4. Ride v.5 sucked. Just.plain.sucked. A 5-mile run made my legs feel like I'd run 20, and I know others who had really liked them before that said the same thing.

Personally, I've had great luck with the Asics Cumulus for years, other than a couple of versions that were narrower in the toe box. But I like having other options in the toolbox.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

outoftheblue

Back from a bit of a break from the forms.  I had my family here over the holiday weekend, then lost internet , then just got too busy catching up on everything.

No so good news on the chicken front.  The broody who was faithfully sitting on her nest for 21 days had the bad luck to experience a heat wave right as the hatch date drew near.  Only one chick hatched and died shortly thereafter, we think from the heat.  The other eggs didn't hatch at all.   My poor hen looked so distressed, but she seems to be back to normal now.  Now another hen -- much more ornery -- has gone broody.  I tried to lift her up today to line her nest with some cardboard padding  and add some eggs and she damn near pecked my hand off.  I'll try again tonight when hopefully she's sleeping.

0n the good news front, I successfully finished the Hernia Hill Half last weekend, and beat last year's time by almost 3 minutes, so that went well.  I'll try to do up a RR soon.  My legs were a little sore from the hills , but don't feel too badly beat up, so I'm going right into my taper and plan on running SF in a couple of weeks.

Good to be back -- I missed you guys.

Life is good.

LRB

Good to be back -- I missed you guys.

We have that effect on people. 

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

By how it feels on my feet or sometimes how it looks. Like it could be a $100 shoe or higher but feel cheap.

Docket I have only tried on the Wave Musha and Inspire by your favorite shoe company both of which were okay in terms of quality (IIRC).  My biggest issue with Mizuno is most of their shoes are butt fuckin ugly, but beauty is obviously in the eye of the beholder as they have some of the hottest sellers in the sport.

I have tried on models by Nike, Asics and Brooks that were not up to snuff in one form or another.  As for what exact models those were I couldn't tell you because I didn't buy them.

The three pair I wear from Asics work for me, that doesn't mean that other models from other companies do not it just means that I have not tried them yet.

I am excited to try the Tempo 6 from Adidas though, and the Wave Musha obviously.

LOL. I consider my Mizunos the most beautiful shoes ever.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Great job, OOTB!!!

Damaris

LRB

The latest batches of Mizunos looks like, as a reviewer once put it, they let a kid go crazy with the crayon box. I personally think that Mizunos are a fantastic trainer. My Wave Riders were the first running shoes I bought, and I got over 600 miles in them. My Precision 12s were retired with almost 1k miles on them. My Precision 13s have over 600 and look brand new. For shoes that you can get for $50 at RW with the 15% off coupon, it's very hard to beat.

If they would just clean up the colors (at least from my standpoint) they would completely dominate the market, but I think having a different look is kind of their thing because it proves that if you make a superior product people will buy and wear it regardless of what it looks like....speaking of grammar police, that was a long ass sentence.  lol  Sorry Jack!