Beginners and Beyond

Fridailies (Read 23 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

The only exception I can think of is

Mike Ditka

While called a head coach, isn't he really more of a manager?  Do you consider managing the same as coaching?  Don't they require different skills, which is why major league baseball and football teams have coaches specializing in the different positions and skill sets as well as a manager?

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

When was your last sussecful cycle? Success as in you toed the line.

Fall 2018...

I don't race often so not as bad as it seems.

Spring 2019 Boston really bad ITB a month before that wouldn't subside.

Fall 2019 Detroit Free Press hammy tendon issues.

Spring 2020 Boston, yeah.

Fall 2020 Boston, yeah.

Spring Fall 2021 Boston missed the new cutoff.

I have run a coupe 5Ks with DD somewhere along the way but wasn't a cycle or really a race.

DavePNW

While called a head coach, isn't he really more of a manager?  Do you consider managing the same as coaching?  Don't they require different skills, which is why major league baseball and football teams have coaches specializing in the different positions and skill sets as well as a manager?

I think a baseball manager is the same as the head coach in every other sport, they just use different names. Of course UK football also calls it a manager.

Dave

DavePNW

Yeah super beginner plan isn't what I want. I'm slow but not looking to Just Finish.

I was thinking about hiring a coach but with this still being a weird Covid year wasn't entirely sure I wanted to drop that kind of money yet. So was looking for an in between option. The thought of following a plan like Hanson's for 18 weeks does not make me excited. And since running a marathon is such a crapshoot, the journey to it needs to keep me interested. (Is that too much to ask?!)

My friend who coached me before has been injured a ton in the past year (multiple stress fractures) and isn't in a good mental relationship with running. I know if I asked for her help again, she'd do it but I don't think that's good for her. Maybe I'll just recycle the training I did for CIM 2018 that gave me my PR.

Yeah I think that situation was a one-off. Maybe even proof that it’s a real person, because an algorithm would not be so stupid. I think you’d get a good plan, but I just threw that out there in the interest of full disclosure, because how the hell do I know what they’ll send you. But you have two positive data points. I was in the same boat—looking to change things up after doing Hansons and Pfitz, and not wanting to spend the money on a coach. 

I am thinking about whether to try McMillan again and get a whole new plan for this fall. It would at least be interesting to see how different it is from the last one. I’m not sure if I need a massive shakeup, or just kind of write off what happened last weekend and continue doing what I’ve been doing. 

Dave

DavePNW

BTW regarding the somewhat ongoing discussion from yesterday about building workouts into LRs. My main aversion to doing this, and it’s dumb, is that the LR is when I meet up with my running group. And it would be tougher to find others in the group to do the same thing. The group has become my main socializing opportunity, while running or while doing anything to be honest.

Dave

onemile

BTW regarding the somewhat ongoing discussion from yesterday about building workouts into LRs. My main aversion to doing this, and it’s dumb, is that the LR is when I meet up with my running group. And it would be tougher to find others in the group to do the same thing. The group has become my main socializing opportunity, while running or while doing anything to be honest.

I hear you on that one. FWIW when I trained for Houston, I really did only like 3 long run workouts and the rest were easy long runs.

sdWhiskers

Previously, I did what Cyber plans to...one weekday workout and one weekend LR workout. I'm only now trying 2 weekday workouts and then an easier LR.

My RP is really easy going and only runs for health (he insists he's not a runner, lol). He's quite a bit faster than me but is fine to run whatever, workout or easy LR. The problem is that 1) he doesn't care about the workout paces so its entirely up to me to keep us on track and 2) it's hard for me to talk much running faster while he just chats away (since it's not fast for him). He's really helpful to run a chunk of MP miles or a fast finish but I remember doing Yasso 800s and the constant fast/slow was a mess with him 

Cyberic

Previously, I did what Cyber plans to...one weekday workout and one weekend LR workout. I'm only now trying 2 weekday workouts and then an easier LR.

I'm the exact opposite.

I hear you guys about having company on the LRs, and I would probably do the same as you guys (in fact I always did that), but it turns out my RP lives close to the park where we train, so it's a Saturday workout for him, and I turn it into a LR workout by running about an hour (or whatever) before we meet, then we run a few more miles chatting, do the workout which is mostly MP miles or HMP miles, but some long haul workout, chat a bit more, and then I either run straight home (3 miles) or run a bit more to fill in the missing miles depending on how long I ran before and/or how much we ran/chatted.

On days when he's not available, I'll run a straight 20 miles at constant effort or a progression or whatever.

DavePNW

I'm only now trying 2 weekday workouts and then an easier LR.

I think this would be hard for me. A long run if sufficiently long never feels super easy for me, and is more like a workout in terms of some need for recovery. Plus I generally try to do them a bit faster than normal easy.

If I do run CIM, that's pretty popular in my running group, so maybe I can find some LR/workout company. Assuming these people don't already have their own plan, and are just waiting for me to bring one to them.

Dave

Cyberic

Follow up from yesterday's thread, I just checked the new course for Marathon de Montréal and although it would not qualify as a hard marathon, there are hills and inclines (that I know very well. the whole course I have run from sometimes to very often) and is definitely more challenging than PTDN

Marathon de Montreal course

Marathon p'tit train du nord elevation change chart

(1 meter is roughly a yard, or 3 feet)

DavePNW

(1 meter is roughly a yard, or 3 feet)

We are Americans but we are not that dumb!

Dave

onemile

Follow up from yesterday's thread, I just checked the new course for Marathon de Montréal and although it would not qualify as a hard marathon, there are hills and inclines (that I know very well. the whole course I have run from sometimes to very often

Do you like that? Running a race on a familiar course? I don't at all.

Cyberic

I think this would be hard for me. A long run if sufficiently long never feels super easy for me, and is more like a workout in terms of some need for recovery. Plus I generally try to do them a bit faster than normal easy.

If I do run CIM, that's pretty popular in my running group, so maybe I can find some LR/workout company. Assuming these people don't already have their own plan, and are just waiting for me to bring one to them.

Many runners have coaches and/or plans, so that's not easy to find, right there.

onemile

I was lucky that for Houston URP did all of my long run workouts with me (and most of my long runs).  Lately he has been playing golf or doing other things on the weekends and I have started running with a new group but I don't know anyone in that group who would be doing workouts with me. anyone who runs my easy paces does not run my race paces 

Cyberic

Do you like that? Running a race on a familiar course? I don't at all.

I love it. I know exactly how each hill is going to fel like, I always know exactly where I am on the course from landmarks, I get unexpected encouragements on the course from people I know who are there for a friend or relative, and they see me (people don't miss me when I run by) so they say hi and cheer me on. My family is usually there on a couple of places on the course. I absolutely love it.