Beginners and Beyond

Fridailies (Read 23 times)

DavePNW

Many runners have coaches and/or plans, so that's not easy to find, right there.

Yes I intended to type that sentence using the sarcasm font, but could not find it on my keyboard.

Dave

Cyberic

Yes I intended to type that sentence using the sarcasm font, but could not find it on my keyboard.

I knew you were sarcastic, and yeah, we should just choose a sarcastic font. Ah you could use opening and closing tags <sarcastic> This is not geeky at all, I know you'll love it. </sarcastic> .

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

We are Americans but we are not that dumb!

Are you sure?

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
              06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Yeah, Dave.  We are. That was sarcasm right?

Damaris

DavePNW

Do you like that? Running a race on a familiar course? I don't at all.

The only time I've had that during a marathon was for Seattle in 2019. It was a little surreal, but I didn't really like it or dislike it.

Dave

sdWhiskers

Do you like that? Running a race on a familiar course? I don't at all.

I've run the San Diego RnR HM several times and it winds through a bunch of different neighborhoods. For 90% of the race, I have no idea where I am   Looking forward to the marathon which will continue through additional areas that still won't be familiar, lol

And they haven't decided on exact course yet but for a few years Miles ~20-25 are on a freeway into downtown so no chance of ever having run there before!

sdWhiskers

We are Americans but we are not that dumb!

I once met a woman in her 20s that thought Alaska and Hawaii were just south of here...like how they put it over Mexico on maps...

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I once met a woman in her 20s that thought Alaska and Hawaii were just south of here...like how they put it over Mexico on maps...

LOL. Too bad you didn't ask her about PR. After all, if it's not on the map, it's not the US, right?

Damaris

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Are you sure?

"less then?" Is that metric for "less than?"

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                    10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Scotch Plains 5k, 6/12; Firecracker 4-miler, 7/4

DavePNW

And they haven't decided on exact course yet but for a few years Miles ~20-25 are on a freeway into downtown so no chance of ever having run there before!

I’ve run marathons on freeways twice. It was...weird.

MTA: LRB remembers one of them!

Dave

GinnyinPA

Cyberic - both courses would be good. How much is the total elev. gain at Montreal?

My first marathon was in Gettysburg, about an hour away. I ran the course during training on two long runs. It made it easier on race day because I could anticipate the hills and knew I could handle them. When I did the B&A in MD, I had walked that rail trail many times when I lived in the area so, again, it was comfortable. I use our local HM course for long runs sometimes, so again, I am usually able to handle the hills a bit easier than someone who has only driven the course. That said, a course that is completely unfamiliar seems to go by a bit faster because you don't know what's around the corner.

I ran 6.3 easy miles. It was cool (64) and humid (dew point of 63) thanks to all day drizzle that stopped just before I headed out. It was one of my better runs lately thanks to the cooler weather and lack of pollen.

LRB

I’ve run marathons on freeways twice. It was...weird.

MTA: LRB remembers one of them!

To say the least, you felt extremely small. And climbing up that off-ramp was ridiculous, not to mention the severe slant of the surface.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

The Miami Marathon goes over two highway overpasses. Sadly, the cars on the traffic jam for a piece of the bridge are either honking with go! comments or angry at the traffic jam due to the race.

I did the RnR SD. That highway hill is brutal and it seems like it goes forever!

Damaris

Cyberic

I don't think they give the total elevation Ginny, but from just looking at the elevation chart and the "feel" of the course, I'm thinking maybe 400-500 feet.

GinnyinPA

That's not at all bad for a marathon. I did a railtrail marathon that felt mostly flat and it was 400'.