Beginners and Beyond

Beat the heavy rain ThursdayDailes (Read 22 times)

sdWhiskers

Mine is based off my original 4 character password from years ago where I simply added a new character whenever its time was up. At one point, it was almost longer than the alphabet before the system got reset. lol

Sweet jesus!

DavePNW

I have a coworker who simply does winter2020 then spring2021, etc every 3 months 

This would actually be a good system...if they didn’t tell everyone about it. 

Dave

sdWhiskers

That is wack. What is the justification? You can’t reason with IT security people. We don’t have that, but we do have two-factor authentification for a bunch of things, so I’m always getting text messages and entering 6-digit codes. Sometimes I get a text even though I wasn’t trying to log into anything. Then later I’ll see a window on my screen that had popped up at some point, waiting for a code. Which of course by now has expired. 

Ugh I have that nonsense too. And we keep switching with app/company is used which makes it more confusing than necessary.

To view work email on my phone, it requires my phone have 6 digit pw then Outlook needs another 6 digit number pw. FFS!

DavePNW

We change every 90 days also. I've been increasing the number at the end by one each time. 

Pretty sure this is everyone.

Dave

sdWhiskers

I'd love to know how many CIOs (or CEOs) actually change their passwords regularly without writing them down, especially when they're 15 characters long.

Many things at work are SSO but not everything. I write the pw for the "not everything" cryptically down on paper or I'd be a hot mess. May be time to pay for a password manager.

sdWhiskers

Pretty sure this is everyone.

I'm +36 at this point!

DavePNW

Ugh I have that nonsense too. And we keep switching with app/company is used which makes it more confusing than necessary.

To view work email on my phone, it requires my phone have 6 digit pw then Outlook needs another 6 digit number pw. FFS!

What’s funny is you’re logging in on your phone, and they send the 2FA code...to your phone. Where’s the security benefit there?

Dave

sdWhiskers

This would actually be a good system...if they didn’t tell everyone about it. 

I thought it was genius. Like FU IT!

Now it will have to be $pringisthebest2021

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Mine is based off my original 4 character password from years ago where I simply added a new character whenever its time was up. At one point, it was almost longer than the alphabet before the system got reset. lol

We have to change it every 90 days and I do something similar. It has to have three different set of characters so I use the original one plus other stuff. It's hard after 14 years, I can't imagine in 10 more years.

Most people have their password on a sticky on the desk. What's the use of making us change it to something this difficult? After all, China got all our information years ago (one of the hacking incidents). 

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I talked to my dad earlier today. He was barely whispering. I can't believe that he went from OK to dying in less than a month. My heart is breaking for him and for the fact that he can't see me right now. Sad

Damaris

sdWhiskers

I talked to my dad earlier today. He was barely whispering. I can't believe that he went from OK to dying in less than a month. My heart is breaking for him and for the fact that he can't see me right now. Sad

Sorry   These things are so tough

Half Crazy K 2.0

Docket, sorry, I can;t imagine how hard this is.

DavePNW

Not totally unusual—when things get near the end, they can happen fast. But it sucks.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Not totally unusual—when things get near the end, they can happen fast. But it sucks.

I know. Sadly, a month or so ago he didn’t even know he had cancer least of all kidney issues.

Damaris

Cyberic

We change every 90 days also. I've been increasing the number at the end by one each time. I have a coworker who simply does winter2020 then spring2021, etc every 3 months 

With what I want to implement, those passwords would not work, lol.

I’m with you, people. I’m a IT security architect now, and I’m telling you there is a reason for the measures imposed to you, but there are ways to make them much easier to swallow, like for example just tap a number instead of typing one as two factor authentication. Or even better, once a device is flagged as being yours, you enter your password only once every thirty days on that device, but face recognition often. It could also be fingerprint scanning. If you are on a device registered as yours, and it’s your fingerprint, I’m pretty damn sure it’s you. More so than if your password is long.