Beginners and Beyond

What, no Thursdailies yet? (Read 31 times)

Cyberic

10 x (2 laps on / 1 lap off) 190m/lap. Not as motivated as I could be, for sure. Need to kick myself in the butt pretty hard.

onemile

I ran 5. It was slippery out so I took it easy. Nice and warm though (33!)

LRB

Do you remember how long it takes for the bus ride to the start?

I do not, however it was nothing like Boston. From the time you board the bus to the time you're racing is well under 2 hours if I recall correctly.

onemile

I do not, however it was nothing like Boston. From the time you board the bus to the time you're racing is well under 2 hours if I recall correctly.

My memory says something between 30 and 45 minutes but I'm not 100%

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

I ran 5 today at a faster than usual easy pace, which was enough for a bit of a runner's high.  Not a bad way to spend my lunch hour.  I'm running a 10-miler on Sunday and am looking at mid-50s with chance of light rain or mist.  Can't beat that for early December.  I don't have any real experience at that distance, so it should be interesting.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
            10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Running is Back 10k, 5/12; Greta's Run 5k, 5/19

DavePNW

Welp, it looks like Lake Tahoe will be my destination trip next May. I plan on flying into Sacramento then driving to South Lake Tahoe. Going to stay in Nevada. Has anyone ever been there? Any tips or must see or do things?

In 10 days I'm off to Hawaii.  4 nights in Waikiki, 5 nights in Kona. So I'll take any recommendations there as well.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

In 10 days I'm off to Hawaii.  4 nights in Waikiki, 5 nights in Kona. So I'll take any recommendations there as well.

Sweet, please share pics here. We lived in Waikiki in 1999-2001 and Waikiki beach has changed a lot so I want to see, ha.  When you see the Pepto Bismol hospital, you'll know that's where hubby worked as an Army doctor.  I don't even need to give you the name of this hospital on a hill.  You'll get it.

Damaris

KCRuns

I struggled through 5 on the TM.  I wanted to quit after 2, just wasn't feeling it, so I walked for a few minutes while I decided what to do,  I guess I just needed the small break because I started back up again and the rest of the run was fine.

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

I found an organization offering a 5-mile and 10-mile race, the 10 mile being two laps of the 5-mile.  Trouble is, the 5-mile is a loop in the park, plus a little tail at the end, off the loop, to the finish line.  The 10-mile is two loops plus that one little tail.  Thus, both races can't be their advertised distance.  Either the 5 is long or the 10 is short (or they're both wrong).  That leads me to the Question of the Day:  would you rather your race be shorter than advertised or longer?

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                    10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Running is Back 10k, 5/12; Greta's Run 5k, 5/19

KCRuns

I found an organization offering a 5-mile and 10-mile race, the 10 mile being two laps of the 5-mile.  Trouble is, the 5-mile is a loop in the park, plus a little tail at the end, off the loop, to the finish line.  The 10-mile is two loops plus that one little tail.  Thus, both races can't be their advertised distance.  Either the 5 is long or the 10 is short (or they're both wrong).  That leads me to the Question of the Day:  would you rather your race be shorter than advertised or longer?

Longer.  If it's short and you PR, it doesn't count.

You can email the RD and ask about it.  Maybe there is something not obvious on the course map that makes up the difference for the 10 mile.

DavePNW

How do you know though? Maybe they're both long, but one is longer? Or vice versa? Or one is exactly correct and the other is off? Or your basic assumption is not correct per KCR's comment? You can also re-create the courses online (there is a tool on RA: Resources > Measure Route) and see how they measure up. Or if this has been run in the past, there should be ways to tell how people have measured it, via Strava or MapMyRun.

In the end, I'd race the distance you're more interested in racing. Hard to control the other stuff.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Longer. Shorter would not count.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

How do you know though? Maybe they're both long, but one is longer? Or vice versa? Or one is exactly correct and the other is off? Or your basic assumption is not correct per KCR's comment? You can also re-create the courses online (there is a tool on RA: Resources > Measure Route) and see how they measure up. Or if this has been run in the past, there should be ways to tell how people have measured it, via Strava or MapMyRun.

In the end, I'd race the distance you're more interested in racing. Hard to control the other stuff.

Agreed.  But if you are looking for a PR or a specific distance, I would inquire further to make sure the course is either certified or accurate. If it's not, I would not run the race.

Damaris

DavePNW

Longer.  If it's short and you PR, it doesn't count.

Oh and on this -- I freaking count them! if it is within a certain tolerance, anyway - some are very obviously short, then no. Garmins can be off by a few percent, so how do you really know if it's short?

MTA: I do not typically check my races to see if they're certified. Of course for marathons I've made sure they are, for Boston, but otherwise it hasn't been a factor in race selection for me. And I've also run courses that were measured and certified accurate, but marked incorrectly, and ended up short.

MTA2: Of my PRs at 4 distances, 3 were on courses measured short by Garmin. My life is a sham. 

Dave

onemile

Oh and on this -- I freaking count them! if it is within a certain tolerance, anyway - some are very obviously short, then no. Garmins can be off by a few percent, so how do you really know if it's short?

MTA: I do not typically check my races to see if they're certified. Of course for marathons I've made sure they are, for Boston, but otherwise it hasn't been a factor in race selection for me.

MTA2: Of my PRs at 4 distances, 3 were on courses measured short by Garmin. My life is a sham. 

hence why you count them