Beginners and Beyond

Penguins Love Their Wine Wednesdailies (Read 17 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

February 18 is Drink Wine Day!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Nice run/walk yesterday after work around the university campus.  Sunny, blue skies, 56 degrees, low humidity, low dewpoint.  Ended up with 3.4 miles.  Today is hill-work day for me.   About 3 or 4 miles worth after work.   Weather, more of the same as yesterday, except the temp will be up about 10 degrees from yesterday, to 65 degrees.  Nice!

PADRunner

Morning Scotty, no wine for me.

5 done on the TM. I know I'm a weather  wimp...

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  6 miles for me tonight.

I like the Funky Penguin!

Damaris

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins!

No wine for me today; I'm back on the weight-loss challenge bandwagon!

Scotty, your run yesterday sounds lovely; I hope you have another good one today.  I'm glad someone else is having good weather, with so much of the country in bad shape!

Lauren, I hope you get your ice melt problem figured out without too much trouble or damage!

Damaris, happy running tonight.

PAD, good job on the treadmill.

Yesterday when I got home I had a new pair of impulse-buy clearance running shoes waiting for me: Newton Lady Isaacs.  So I took them for a 5.5 mile spin.  They are beautiful and they felt good but honestly it left me wondering why I keep trying different shoes - Brooks Ravennas were my first shoe and I always go back to them!  (I blame Damaris; I covet her equipment list)

I'm headed out for a run and then yoga.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

No wine for me, just beer, but I gave it up for Lent.

12 easy miles later today.

From the Internet.

Hi pens!

Raked a bunch of snow off the roof last night and this morning, and tossed some socks filled with ice melt over the ice dam to melt channels for water to escape. Supposed to be near 30 and maybe even sunny today, so I'm hoping the stuff that melts will run off through the channels I made instead of into my house! The kid has February vacation this week so she's home with a sitter, feeling a little bit better about the fact that the leaks happened this week since there's going to be someone at home 24/7 until next Monday to keep an eye on them.

Heading to the TM in a few minutes, still undecided as to whether I'll do my MLR with some tempo miles or just an easy 3-4. My work schedule says do the MLR today but my legs say easy... maybe I'll do 8 easy and throw a little bit of faster stuff into a shorter run tomorrow instead.

hog4life

Brilliant, I catch myself wanting to try new shoes too, but always go back to Brooks. I have a pair of Mizuno that I really like too.

I've had my fruit smoothie for breakfast, sipping on some coffee and then will hit the road. I'm hoping for 10.

Zelanie

Greetings from Colorado! We got in after midnight last night and were on the road early this morning. I have a work thing this evening, too, but I will try to sneak away for some miles if I can.

GinnyinPA

Scotty - have fun with your hills.  I need to do some of that too.

PAD - good job on the TM miles.  Is it cold or wet there?

D - enjoy your six later.

Brilliant - there is always the hope that the next pair of shoes will be the magic ones that give you wings - or at least don't hurt after 14 miles.  I'm not a shoe junkie, and yet I have 4 pairs in rotation right now, looking for the ones that won't hurt on my really long runs.

Jack - have a good long run later.

Lauren - you could do a progressive run - combining both easy and harder miles, and reversing when you start feeling it.

Mitch - have a good run - road or trail today?  I don't do smoothies, but I was wondering if it makes it easier to do long runs sooner.  When I am doing a long run, I have to wait two or more hours after eating so it doesn't upset my stomach.  It would be nice to not have to wait that long.  I can usually do a short run about an hour after eating, as long as I eat lightly.

Z - did you drive to Colorado?  Denver or Boulder?  Have a good conference.

AFM:  I'm supposed to do 9 later.  Where I run will depend on the winds, I think.  It's supposed to be 27 or so as a high - only 20 right now. I don't much care for two hours on the TM though I will if I have to.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Greetings from Colorado! We got in after midnight last night and were on the road early this morning. I have a work thing this evening, too, but I will try to sneak away for some miles if I can.

I am jealous!

Jack, taping it as Lauren suggested, might help.

Damaris

tracilynn

I always want to try new shoes too. HOKAS seem to work the best for me but I always think what if there is another shoe out there that is my "holy grail" shoe.

I did that stupid Ryan Hall work out from hell yesterday and it was HELL. The one where you run 1 mile warm-up then 2 miles at 10k pace 2×1 mile at 5K pace then 2×800 at faster than 5K pace.  I was so tired I couldn't jog a cool down.  I was like fu*k this shit I am done. I have to repeat it in 2 weeks 

I may go run an easy 3 later. Maybe.

~~~~~~~

Traci

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Hi Pens.

No wine for me, just beer, but I gave it up for Lent.

12 easy miles later today.

Like you, Jack, I prefer beer than wine. I will drink white wine occasionally - don't like red wine - but pretty much it's beer for me.

I can still drink beer...I gave up Lent for Lent....

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Good luck with the house, lauren!

Hi pens!

Raked a bunch of snow off the roof last night and this morning, and tossed some socks filled with ice melt over the ice dam to melt channels for water to escape. Supposed to be near 30 and maybe even sunny today, so I'm hoping the stuff that melts will run off through the channels I made instead of into my house! The kid has February vacation this week so she's home with a sitter, feeling a little bit better about the fact that the leaks happened this week since there's going to be someone at home 24/7 until next Monday to keep an eye on them.

Heading to the TM in a few minutes, still undecided as to whether I'll do my MLR with some tempo miles or just an easy 3-4. My work schedule says do the MLR today but my legs say easy... maybe I'll do 8 easy and throw a little bit of faster stuff into a shorter run tomorrow instead.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

I always want to try new shoes too. HOKAS seem to work the best for me but I always think what if there is another shoe out there that is my "holy grail" shoe.

I did that stupid Ryan Hall work out from hell yesterday and it was HELL. The one where you run 1 mile warm-up then 2 miles at 10k pace 2×1 mile at 5K pace then 2×800 at faster than 5K pace.  I was so tired I couldn't jog a cool down.  I was like fu*k this shit I am done. I have to repeat it in 2 weeks 

I may go run an easy 3 later. Maybe.

LMAO! You love it!  Come on, you've got this!  You should try to run your 3 miles, but do them SUPER easy, total recovery pace. You are doing great. Smile