Beginners and Beyond

Wake up WednesDAILIES (Read 37 times)

Runshortii

SRD for me. My quads and glutes are sore from that damn exercise class

onemile

I zumba'ed 

Cyberic

I zumba'ed 

I'm so stiff, it'd be funny to see myself Zumba.

Did you have fun doing it?

onemile

I'm so stiff, it'd be funny to see myself Zumba.

Did you have fun doing it?

It was ridiculous, but fun

RunningOnSand

Ran to work on icy roads and sidewalks. Screws under the shoes do the job.

With my cold, I'm not running anything close to a workout, so the least I can do is run 7 miles a day, split in 2 runs.

I've always wondered about that. So, does it just wreck the soles of your shoes, though?

Cyberic

I've always wondered about that. So, does it just wreck the soles of your shoes, though?

Not at all. I'm leaving work now, but I'll explain more later this evening.

Runshortii

I zumba'ed 

I’m so uncoordinated, I suck at doing those choreographed dance exercise classes.

My secret santa at work got me a set of 4 pub glasses that say (5k,10K, half marathon, marathon, beer) with checkboxes next to them. They’re actually pretty cute

DavePNW

I zumba'ed 

You totally do not strike me as a Zumba person.

Dave

oldfartrunner

I got 10 cause it was so nice out, and weights. Heading out for 5 more pretty soon. Smile

Blue: Nice!

Shortii: Sure it wasn't those extra fast 400s?  Running Interval into Rep pace is a muscle builder.  Always gets me.

Onemile: I heard Zumba will lengthen your stride....and straighten your hair. 

Image result for funny pictures of zumba

Cyberic

Not at all. 

Ok, Not at all is a little exagerated as it does puncture the sole of your shoes. But since it takes a while to screw everything in place, I just have a dedicated pair of shoes with screws, that I leave there. They're trail shoes, so the extra thread helps in the snow.

This page has pretty much all the info you're gonna need:

http://skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm

I use 1/2 inch long, as they stay in place better. The down side of those longer screws is that depending on the shoe I use, or the place I choose to screw them in, I can sometimes feel the tip of the screws while running, and that's not fun at all.

So I use thick soled shoes, with soles that stick out on the sides. Since shoes have a thinner sole in front than in the heel area, and I don't want to feel the tip of the screws under my toes and the front of my foot, I only put screws in the lip of the sole that sticks out, with no foot above. I put them everywhere in the heel area, though. I could also get shorter screws for that thinner spot in front. I might actually do that as not having any screws under the front of the foot, except on the outer part where the foot doesn't apply pressure above, makes them less effective than they could be on toe off. There is some slippage sometimes.

It's a trial and error thing. At a few bucks for a box of screws, you can test lots of variants for not much money.

Another down side of using screws ( or metal spiked shoes) is if you have to go in a store with wooden floors, well you can't or you're going to ruin the floor. But I have YakTrax that I can use for those days.

onemile

You totally do not strike me as a Zumba person.

I'm not. I joined the gym at work (for an extra $15 a month - I was already paying $10 for locker room access) because my co-worker wanted to start exercising. So I am keeping her company.

onemile

Onemile: I heard Zumba will lengthen your stride....and straighten your hair. 

Image result for funny pictures of zumba

I did sweat a lot!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Next thing we know, you’ll do Pilates...

Damaris

oldfartrunner

I got the 5 in. It's getting cold and windy now!  Time to eat and watch that movie "Predators".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2jJOy8rzog

CY: Thanks for the advice about the shoes and screws!

Half Crazy K 2.0

Got in a run outside after work. My legs are freezing, the temperature really dropped tonight.

Onemile, we had free Zumba offered at work a few years ago, I couldn't bring myself to show how uncoordinated I am in front of co-workers. And I cannot shake dance. At all.

Runshortii, did you do the strength class one day and intervals the next? That's a tough combo.