Beginners and Beyond

Its melting TuesDAILIES (Read 42 times)

Morning

Got out there early for 5mi 8:46/mi easy. Also did my heel drops (always), crunches, and bridges with the band. The hip flexor is still not 100% but its getting close. Hope to do something of quality this weekend...maybe a little MP>Tempo work?

PRs:----- 5k: 17:48 (2019)   5M: 29:36 (2020)    HM: 1:24:37 (2017) Scheduled: ???

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I have an all day trial, Pilates and 6 tonight.

Damaris

oldfartrunner

I got 8 on tap later. Smile Slurping the bean now.

Cyberic

Ain't anything melting here. I ran to work in a small storm. Ok, a baby storm, but it was snowing and with the wind, the flurries were stinging my face and my eyes. Maybe an inch of snow on the ground by now, two in some places. Fun times.

bluerun

Super B****

5 on the AlterG, swimming tonight... but I am so exhausted that all I want to do is sleeeeeeep.  (Seriously, there is something wrong with me.  This is not normal.)

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

hog4life

Another RD and working.

All this talk of injuries has brought back some thoughts for me. Back in 2015, I was training for this Grand Slam Challenge, and the Detroit Marathon was part of that goal. I trained my ass off, doing all kinds of speed work and hard tempo runs. I raced a HM in Sept, AFTER I sprained my ankle on the WU. I went to Detroit in October not having run very much since the ankle issue. Went into Detroit with no expectations, and had the run of my life finishing in 4:13 with numerous photo stops. I raced another HM in November, then ruptured my Achilles the next day trying to run 10 miles on trails(prep for first trail run of the GS). The Achilles injury made me look at my life, and my hobby jogging in a different way. I could not afford to be seriously injured because of my running! Surgeries and being laid up and not working was not an option. My family depends on me, and it's my responsibility to take care of them(well, her now).

I was running about 40 MPW, on 6 days per week, and was aiming for 50 MPW prior to the first 50k of the challenge. I DNS'd all the Grand Slam races. So, my approach to the Grand Slam this year is much different. In 2017, I'm running about 25 MPW on 3 days per week, with peaks in the 30's. In 2015, I was always running "banged up"! In 2017, I'm getting to the start line "healthy"!

I know my thought process is not for everyone, but it's working for me.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

OFR - What's the bean?

Cyberic - What shoes to you wear running in snow?

blue - The change of seasons always wacks me out - colder weather + darkness.  I get lazy and also want to eat more - basically, hibernation mode.  Hope it's just a short-term thing for you.

hog - I injured my Intertional Achilles last summer by running 10 miles then doing 3 hours of hard yard work right afterwards.  It's hard to know your limits until you exceed them.  But once you do exceed them, it's important to make the necessary adjustments to make the most out of enjoying running and racing and keeping healthy.  Sounds like you have a good balance figured out.

Ran 4.2 last night.  Physically, I feel the same as pre-50k, so looks like my body is bouncing back well.  I will still take it slowly though.  Beer on tap for tonight with a friend .

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

hog4life

OFR - What's the bean?

blue - The change of seasons always wacks me out - colder weather + darkness.  I get lazy and also want to eat more - basically, hibernation mode.  Hope it's just a short-term thing for you.

hog - I injured my Intertional Achilles last summer by running 10 miles then doing 3 hours of hard yard work right afterwards.  It's hard to know your limits until you exceed them.  But once you do exceed them, it's important to make the necessary adjustments to make the most out of enjoying running and racing and keeping healthy.  Sounds like you have a good balance figured out.

Ran 4.2 last night.  Physically, I feel the same as pre-50k, so looks like my body is bouncing back well.  I will still take it slowly though.  Beer on tap for tonight with a friend .

A good friend of mine that is an Ultra Junkie, told me that it takes about 3 weeks to "start" feeling normal again. I got two more 50k's, then a 12 hour in March, so I better get used to the slower, and easy recovery runs!

Bert-o

I lost my rama

A good friend of mine that is an Ultra Junkie, told me that it takes about 3 weeks to "start" feeling normal again. I got two more 50k's, then a 12 hour in March, so I better get used to the slower, and easy recovery runs!

You have two 50K's between now and the March 12 hour?!?  That's basically race, recover, race, recover....

I'd agree on the 3 week, but I find I might "feel" ok when the body isn't really ok.  Last year I ran 2 marathons 4 weeks apart with a 10K in between (I'm not quite the machine Docket is)..  I'm still trying to get fully recovered from it.  But now I know what NOT to do .  I will take several weeks at least to gradually ramp back up to normal mileage.  I want to be healthy for a spring race (TBD).

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

hog4life

You have two 50K's between now and the March 12 hour?!?  That's basically race, recover, race, recover....

I'd agree on the 3 week, but I find I might "feel" ok when the body isn't really ok.  Last year I ran 2 marathons 4 weeks apart with a 10K in between (I'm not quite the machine Docket is)..  I'm still trying to get fully recovered from it.  But now I know what NOT to do .  I will take several weeks at least to gradually ramp back up to normal mileage.  I want to be healthy for a spring race (TBD).

Yea, there's not much recovery, but the mileage is there to support the 12 hour!

Here's the Grand Slam Challenge schedule;

11/18 - Dizzy Fifties 50k

12/9 - Rocket City Marathon

12/31 - Recover From the Holidays 50k

1/27 - Mountain Mist 50k

After the 119.2 miles, over ~10 weeks,

3/3 - Delano 12 hour, The RD is the President of our local running club, he just offered me "FREE" registration!

delicate flower

I am on Day 8 of Super Coughfest and I think last night was the worst night yet.    As such, I skipped my swim this morning to get a little more sleep since I was up every hour last night.  Dental cleaning was good this morning.  I'd go 3-4 times a year to clean off the coffee if my insurance allowed.

<3

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Yea, there's not much recovery, but the mileage is there to support the 12 hour!

Here's the Grand Slam Challenge schedule;

11/18 - Dizzy Fifties 50k

12/9 - Rocket City Marathon

12/31 - Recover From the Holidays 50k

1/27 - Mountain Mist 50k

After the 119.2 miles, over ~10 weeks,

3/3 - Delano 12 hour, The RD is the President of our local running club, he just offered me "FREE" registration!

This looks like my schedule, LOL.  I don't see a problem with it, but don't forget to recover the week after each.  The 50Ks will help you prepare for the 12 hour race.

Damaris

Cyberic

My normal running shoes. On ice it's different. Either I wear shoes with screws underneath, or put YakTrax over the sole of my normal shoes.

All I change in the cold is my socks. Today, at 12 degrees, I was still wearing normal socks, although with the wind, my feet were a little cold. Not uncomfortable, but colder than that I'll need to wear my winter socks.

Really no big deal running in the winter, IMO.

KCRuns

I wanted to run to work today, but it was "feels like" 6 with 18mph winds, so I'm going to do the TM during lunch instead.

I got my Chicago Marathon lottery email this morning and I'M IN FOR 2018!! Because it's been so hot the last 2 years, I've set my mind to running this one for fun. My goal marathon will be Starved Rock in May. But I'm really excited to run Chicago for the 3rd year in a row!

KCRuns

In 2017, I'm getting to the start line "healthy"!

That's half the battle right there!