Beginners and Beyond

Week 44 Penguins are going for the chocolate!! (10/27-11/02) (Read 7 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Finally, it's my day!  It's National Chocolate Day!!  Although, thinking about it, I probably won't have any chocolate today, which is sad.  I made banana bread last night, and that's probably what we'll have for dessert after dinner tonight, unless I decide that it's yucky (I don't actually like bananas, but DH does), in which case I will have some ice cream, which does have chocolate in it.  So there's hope, I guess.

I'm a little bored with my yoga routine, so I threw in a strength training routine instead.  We'll see how that goes for a while.  If nothing else, it includes squats, which helps my frequently achy knees.  Biking done too, which was interesting after all the squats ...

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

GinnyinPA

HM - maybe alternate days?

I'll do a run this afternoon, after our Vet appointment. It's time for Ben's annual, so it will take a while.

Singer who runs a smidge

Maybe.  That's the benefit of having no real goal in mind! 

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Evening!  Ran 6 this morning and then headed to Grand Rapids for work all week.

HopesMom, hope you enjoyed some chocolate. ST is always good especially as we age. Maybe alternate and do 2 days of each?

Ginny, hope Ben's annual went well and that you managed to run.

Damaris

GinnyinPA

Have you figured out some running routes in Grand Rapids or will you use a hotel TM? Any good greenbelts?

Expensive and time consuming vet visit, so I was happy to go for my run this afternoon and enjoy the beautiful day.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I only have one run while I'm here and I'm most likely going to run on the TM.  I have not even asked if the hotel has a gym but I assume they do as it's a Hilton one.  Glad you were able to run!

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, y'all!  Our homeowner's insurance had contacted us and told us that there was moss buildup on our roof, and they wouldn't renew our policy until we got it off.  So we tried removing it ourselves, but we're apparently not giants or people with the right equipment to get to the roof.  Go figure.  So we went through the crazy of getting a couple of bids, and contracted with a company to do the removal.  I sent notification to the insurance company on Friday that we had everything lined up to fix it.

Except that we got a letter in the mail yesterday telling us they were terminating our policy.

So now I have to call and find out if indeed they will NOT be terminating our policy, since we've done exactly what they wanted us to do, and will they tell our mortgage company so that they can get paid for the renewal.  Or I have to go get another company to insure us.  So fun.

Strength training and biking done today.

lewjeffrey

My running has been aimless and inconsistent for a couple of years now.  As of a little over two weeks ago my wife and I decided to separate.  Not sure what the next steps are, but I know my temptation on the days when I am away from the kids is to throw myself into my work.  Instead of that, I am throwing myself back into running.  I've had some of my best runs in months both on Friday and Monday (ran with a friend today so we took it easy).  It's strange how marital stress affects everything else.  On my run on Friday (first run post-separation) it was like a weight had been lifted off me!  I am actually looking at signing up for a couple of races in 2020 and I haven't raced in years, so it'll be good to get back out there.  Ironically, one of the races is the day of after Valentine's Day which is somewhat symbolic with my marriage possibly ending.  Eh, it is what it is.

Singer who runs a smidge

Lew, welcome back to the fold!!  I'm so sorry to hear about you and your wife, but glad that running can be a stress reliever for you.  How's the sleep apnea treatment going?  Getting my CPAP was SUCH a game changer for me!!

GinnyinPA

LewJeffrey - welcome back. I started hiking and my husband started backpacking years ago as a way of dealing with family stress. It can really help shut off the endless loop of thoughts and anger and worry for a while. Physical pain is easier to deal with than emotional pain.

HM - how irritating about the insurance company. I hope you get it renewed or find a better company. Do you have Erie down there?

D - are you feeling fully recovered from the marathon, or still taking it easy to recuperate?

Cool gray day, but so far no rain. I'll do 6-8 later.

Singer who runs a smidge

Never heard of Erie, so I'm guessing no?  I'm dealing with Allstate.  They said they have to wait until the work is finished before they can renew, unless it's really close to the renewal date, at which point they can accept the signed contract with the roofing company as proof the work will get done soon.  It's weird, but basically I can just settle back and wait three more weeks or so ...

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I have 8 miles tonight but we will see because I fell again yesterday (hard) and I'm all scratched and bruised again and my scab is now raw like I just hurt it again.  In Grand Rapids for work all week.

Hi, Lew!

Hi, Hope!

Hi, Ginny!

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

Docket, repeat after me:  Stay upright, stay upright, stay upright ...

Seriously girl!!

Things are still humming along here, will probably spend the day working on Monday's lecture.

Strength training done, but not biking, as it's supposed to pour this afternoon.  If it doesn't pour this afternoon, I'm going to feel cheated.

Quartet practice tonight!

Singer who runs a smidge

Well, it was raining when I left yesterday, so not biking was a good call.  No biking today either, since I will either have chorus rehearsal tonight or it will be called on account of high winds and rain.  We're waiting to see what happens.

RD for me.  Too sleepy for weights.