Beginners and Beyond

Week 48 Penguins are so blase!! (11/24-11/30) (Read 12 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Today is blase day, so if you're feeling meh, today is for you!!  I am most definitely not meh, I am a rock star.  Came in on Saturday to restart the instruments after the power outage.  One came up fine, so I started its bakeout.  The other instrument came up ok, but the HPLC did not.  I fussed with it for a while, then said screw it and left.  I also moved the third instrument out of the way of Facilities and re-filled its oil.

Today I helped Facilities service our air handler, moved instruments out of their way, moved them back when they were finished, restarted the MALDI, and fixed the HPLC system.  I was surprised I got that to work, but hey, I'm amazing.

If I can fix my ongoing computer program problem, I am just going to take my halo and go.  But I suspect that won't happen.  It's ok.  I'm still amazing.

Today is the only day I'm working this week.  Tomorrow I'm making bread and cookies, and packing.  Wednesday we head down to NC for the holiday.  I made my cheesecake yesterday.  Mom requested an eggnog cheesecake and sent me a recipe.  I'm thinking she might regret her choice -- the batter tasted kind of weird.  It had 1/2 tsp cloves in it, which is a LOT of cloves.  We'll see how it goes.  May have to create some kind of rum caramel sauce to douse it in ...

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I always feel blase on Mondays.  I have either 5 or my RD.

HopesMom, Sounds like you've been busy for a Monday.

Damaris

GinnyinPA

HM - definitely a productive day for you. Enjoy your vacation with your parents.

I'm running 6 out at the County park later.

Singer who runs a smidge

Now I've finished several administrative tasks that I'd been putting off.  I'm still rocking my day!  Which is good, because I am so vegging the next few days ...

Singer who runs a smidge

My Lord in Heaven, I just fixed my ongoing computer program problem.  I am the epitome of amazing, and I am taking my halo and going home 20 minutes early.

Hallelujah!!!! 

lewjeffrey

One day my life will have stability and I can run again.  It's been way too long since my last run and last week was a whirlwind.  Initially this morning I thought I should definitely be able to get a run in after work, but something popped up with my wife's work so I have the kids after work.  I should be able to run tomorrow morning and Friday morning.  I may try to squeeze in a run on Saturday, but I haven't run three days in a row in forever so I don't want to push it.

HM: what does vegging for the next few days look like for you?  My boss who is recently divorced and I were talking about the "freedom" aspect of divorce which I haven't fully been able to experience yet because I work on week days and on the weekends I have the kids.  Friday is my first day of not working and not having the kids.  He asked me what I would do with the freedom and I jokingly said, "I might come into the office."  The two goals on Friday are to get a run in and binge Jack Ryan season 2.  I've never binged watch anything before, so it'll be a new experience.

Docket: that blase feeling on monday is called "a case of the mundays"

Ginny: hope the six went well!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!

My piano was interrupted last night 30 times between the iRobot hitting my legs, the cats jumping on top of the keys or the sheets, etc.  Then the fucking iRobot dared go atop a mound of flattened cardboard boxes from the move so off I go to save it and then turned around and slide down (fell) on my ass. The fucking iRobot was do ungrateful it hit me in the left side of my head because I wouldn't let go of it.  So, there I lay for 2 minutes laughing my ass off until my husband had to come down to investigate and found me laying atop the mound with an iRobot in my arms like I had saved it from destruction.  And then I lifted.

I have 5 tonight but we are under high wind warnings so I might just move that to Friday.  Turkey Trot 5K tomorrow and excited to be running it even if easy since the last time I was able to do one of these in Miami was in 2013 and that was the last time it wasn't 3000000F.

HopesMom, great job getting that back together.

Lew, unfortunately, for a short week, it does still feel like it's Monday.  What are you plans for tomorrow?

Damaris

GinnyinPA

Lew - are there any Turkey Trots near you? Or any place you can go for a nice long hike? When I was solo, I found it very lonely to be around happy families, but a good hike wasn't lonely, even though  I was alone. Enjoy your solo time.

D - have fun at your Turkey Trot. Will you jog it or race it? Funny story about the iRobot. That would have been hilarious to watch.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Initially my coach wanted me to race it but I signed up for three races on Saturday and I'm slow AF now.  In any event, I will try to "race" but knowing I wan't be fast by any means. It will be nice to see where I am at in the process and set some goals from there.  But I'll be disappointed in the number, I bet!

Lew, I think Hopes' idea of a TT is good.  It will give you some chance to run with others, be social, meet people, and do something tomorrow.

Damaris

lewjeffrey

Tomorrow morning I am going on a run.  Not sure if I'll do a turkey trot.  I may look into it, but I partially prefer something lowkey. I am taking the kids to Frozen 2 in the afternoon and after that we are going to my wife's brother's house for Thanksgiving dinner.

lewjeffrey

I got in three miles this morning. I actually drive 50 minutes there and 50 minutes back to meet up with an old neighbor for the run. I feel pretty comfortable talking to him about everything going on whereas with other people I might feel a need to be more guarded. Plus I’ve been sharing with him for the past twelve years about my marriage problems so there is no need to provide context for him.

Hope everyone had a nice thanksgiving!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Glad you had someone to run with, Lew!

Happy Thanksgiving!  I ran a turkey trot 5K today and was even slower than I expected.  Oh, well.  Work is never done with respect to running and improvement so off I go to train and go back somewhere to where I was last year, lol.

Damaris

lewjeffrey

Today has been almost the perfect lazy day!  I don’t usually do Black Friday shopping but I braved Best Buy and got a new laptop. Since my wife and I separated the only device I have had regular access to is my phone so the laptop was a nice splurge. Got in a five mile run and a nap. My car got an overdue cleaning out and now I am doing my Jack Ryan marathon.

Damaris - Good job with the turkey trot!

GinnyinPA

Lew - I'm glad you were able to run with a friend and get some of the weight off your chest. My husband told me he ended up unloading to a couple of strangers when his first wife left. That was so unlike him, but he needed to talk to somebody.

D - at least you ran the race. Did Richard run too?

I sat on my backside the last two days - in the car and visiting with family - and ate too much. Typical Thanksgiving.