Beginners and Beyond

Older Penguin Thursdalies (Read 20 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

International Day of Older Persons!

"It's not about speed and gold medals. It's about refusing to be stopped." --AMBY BURFOOT

PADRunner

6.2 done this morning.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I have 10 with 6 at MP and Pilates today.

Damaris

Jill.

Penguin Power!

6 or 7 today... probably outdoors :-D

Also, holy crap, 1 month left to go =/

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins!  Today's thread title is apt, as I'm feeling old and slow this morning!

1. I went to the speed workout last night and thought they were trying to kill me.  I wasn't the oldest person there but definitely the slowest.  They were running 8x800s with 400 rest.  I only made it through 4 progressively slower intervals (4:02, 4:08, 4:15, 4:25).  They were very nice and encouraging, but it was kinda depressing.  With warmup and cooldown I got in 5.6 total, though.

2. Then I had the night from hell.  It was hot (still no AC except a room unit), the dog was up twice in the night (probably the heat), there was police activity on my street, and then a car alarm at 5:30 so I couldn't even attempt to sleep in.  Ugh.

PAD, nice 10k.

Damaris, enjoy the running and pilates.

Jill, hurray for outdoor running!  I hope you stay encouraged for the next month that YOU'VE GOT THIS!

I'm meeting my slow friend this morning; looking forward to some 13 minute miles.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

After work run/walk Tuesday in my favorite San Antonio Park, McAllister Park, which has all kinds of trails, both paved and natural, and all kinds of different routes you can take.  Temp was sweeeet.  At 5 PM it was only 90 degrees - which sounds high for most folks, but for we Texans that is "Fall", lol - and the humidity was really low, at around 40% and dew-point low too.  I did off-road trails - and I could see the San Antonio Parks Foundation and their "Friends of the Park" volunteers had been busy; the trails were nicely cleaned up of rocks, debris, etc,  all the overhanging brush was cut-and-trimmed away from the trails, and so forth, and some of the paved trails had been recently resurfaced, making for a smooth 'ride'.  Made for some really nice running.  I was having such a good time I got carried away and ran/walked for an hour and 4 minutes, ending up with 5.5 miles, my longest outing in a while. I also hit my head lightly on an overhanging branch; slipped on a root and did a "Romancing The Stone" little slide down a dirt hill; and at one point startled some resting deer, who came up from the brush and ran.  I stood stock still as a few of them ran right past me on either side; it was very cool.  Woo-hoo, what a great outing!

Followed up my 'long' run of Tuesday evening by getting up Wednesday morning at 4:30 a.m., going to the university gym, and doing 3.5 miles, with 5 hills of varying size thrown in.  Surprisingly, after all my twisting and turning on the trails yesterday, my legs felt pretty good this morning and I 'killed' all the hills in good order.  Another nice run/walk and the weather was very cooperative, in the upper 60s, and just the right bit of "chill" in the air.

Thursday morning up a little later - 6 a.m. - and down to the YMCA to do an 'easy' 3 on flat roads.  Well, as they say, 'the best laid plans of mice and men oft go astray."   I took a flat road from the Y,  decided to go over a cross-street and into a neighborhood I hadn't run in before and do some exploring.  This neighborhood turned out to be a bit hilly, and I also got myself turned around a bit during my exploring...so not only did I not do flat roads, I also had a tad more than an easy 3, ending up with 3.6 miles.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Zelanie

Morning!  We are all older AND wiser, right?

Brilliant, that's often how I feel at the track, especially when I'm getting lapped by the second interval.  I bet you just killed yourself running that first 800 in 4:02 (I am usually a tad slower than that for my 800s).  It's hard to come back when you blow up like that.  A couple of months ago, I went out too fast, and I think my last 800 was at a 9: XX pace because there was just nothing left.  And then I came home feeling all dehydrated and yucky.  Sounds like you had a similar night- hope the slow run and maybe a good night's sleep will help!

PAD- Thanks for getting us started- nice quote!

D- That's a taper workout?  Enjoy!

sapf- One month left!  How much of a taper are you doing?

Scotty- Sounds like you've been working hard this week!  Glad you're getting some "fall" weather.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Zel - My last really long run is on 10/11 and then taper time.  So three weeks?  Just whatever Higdon prescribes.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Zelanie

Zel - My last really long run is on 10/11 and then taper time.  So three weeks?  Just whatever Higdon prescribes.

That means only a week and a half to go! Smile

GinnyinPA

Well, I'm definitely old and slow, especially after last night.  Ben has been sick for a few days and woke us up three times to go outside.

Pad - nice 10k this morning.  Was the .2 deliberate?

D - enjoy your MLR and Pilates

sapf - I hope you get your outdoor run.  It's misting heavily here.  Only one month - that's exciting.

Brilliant - so when you do Yasso 800s, is it the first repetition or the last one that is supposed to forecast your marathon time?  Nice job.

Scotty - more adventures!  I hope you didn't get hurt too badly.  Nice running.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I guess whether or not I'm older depends on your perspective -- I've been 43 for 4 days now, so I'm old to lots of you penguins, and young to others!  Chorus rehearsal tonight, woo-hoo!!
                        Do any of y'all take probiotics?  I've been having some really mild heartburn/nausea issues, nothing worth a trip to the doc about, but I've been thinking about probiotics.  Haven't done any research yet, though.

PAD -- woo-hoo for your 6.2!!

Docket -- have a good 10 and Pilates!!

sapf -- woo-hoo for outdoors!!

Brilliant -- Wow, that really was the night from hell!!  Glad you've got some slow miles to look forward to!!

scottydawg -- Sounds like some good running, glad you weren't knocked down by the deer!!  Laughing at the "Romancing the Stone" slide, great scene!

Zelanie -- good morning!!

Ginny -- sorry about your broken sleep!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Brilliant

Sorry I was such a downer earlier.  I really got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning!  But after a nice easy 6.4 and breakfast with my friend, I feel much better.  Thanks for understanding!  (my hubby was traveling so I dumped on you guys instead of him this morning!)

Scotty, you've had some nice runs lately.

Zel, yes I blew up on the first lap trying to keep up with everyone.  Next time (I think I'll go back!) I'm going to try to do all of them at 4:20 so I can do more.

Ginny, your night sounds similar to mine.   Hope Ben is OK.   I think you're supposed to be able to complete 10 800s at about the same pace to predict your marathon time.  (if they aren't the same pace, then I guess the last ones would be more predictive).

HopesMom - happy belated birthday you young thing you!  About the probiotics - I've only taken them when I've been on antibiotics, to help prevent stomach issues that I sometimes get.  Not sure about using them for anything else.

PADRunner

Well, I'm definitely old and slow, especially after last night.  Ben has been sick for a few days and woke us up three times to go outside.

Pad - nice 10k this morning.  Was the .2 deliberate?

No, just what it ended up being at the corner.

hog4life

My ankle is finally feeling "somewhat" normal, so I will try for 5 or so tonight when I get off work. I signed up for another 50k this morning, so, I'm all signed up for all 4 events to attempt the Huntsville Grand Slam.

Brilliant, It does appear that you did the first one a little too fast. I've had them happen like that too, but was able to finish all 8 and not fade much more. What did you effort feel like in the last one compared to the first? Try for at least 6 next time, and maybe target 4:10-4:15.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Another school shooting. When will the U.S. have real gun control laws??? Sad