Beginners and Beyond

Don't get bitten by a tick Penguin Weekend (Read 30 times)

Zelanie

Nice job, PAD!  What a week for you to join a team!

Anyways, ran two shorter runs this weekend instead of one longer, so I ran 4.75 today.

tracilynn

You will be fine. Stick to the plan as best as you can and adjust if you have to. No big deal. Maybe try a few TM runs and play with the elevation setting. Running hills in trainwill make you stronger and faster come race day.

Good idea with upping the TM. Will do that.

~~~~~~~

Traci

tracilynn

WTG pad. We need details though  how was it?!?!

~~~~~~~

Traci

PADRunner

Nice job, PAD!  What a week for you to join a team!

Anyways, ran two shorter runs this weekend instead of one longer, so I ran 4.75 today.

They'll be expecting it every week now.

From the Internet.

Hi pens!

3.5 miles outside with my club yesterday - few baby hills, one steep-ish hill, and one long-ish hill and my IT band was fine with all of it! Big grin 80 minute long run on the treadmill today, which felt more like 800 minutes because the treadmill changes all the parameters of space and time once you start it up. I had to start bargaining with myself to keep going by ~30 minutes in. Got it done though, that's all that matters. There's a 10 miler in the next town over on the 15th, I might jump in and run it easy just to have a change of scenery for my long run.

PADRunner

WTG pad. We need details though  how was it?!?!

Long, very long...

Zelanie

30 minutes in on the TM is the worst.  Except for maybe the first 5 minutes.  After 40, somehow it shifts for me and I feel like I can keep going for a while.

PADRunner

Anyone with Raynaud's phenomenon have it happen after a long run even when it wasn't cold? It's happen a few times to me now. Some fingers turn white & tingle like when your foots asleep, then red then blue.

GinnyinPA

Anyone with Raynaud's phenomenon have it happen after a long run even when it wasn't cold? It's happen a few times to me now. Some fingers turn white & tingle like when your foots asleep, then red then blue.

Good timing on the question.  I have slight Raynaud's - have had it for years.  Today was overcast and in the 40s.  I started my run with heavy gloves, but midway my hands were sweating so I took them off.  Got back to the car and sat for a few minutes, talking on the phone to DH. I was a bit sweaty, so I put on a fleece jacket.  After just a few minutes, three of my fingers went numb and turned white. They were fine while running, but often when I am active, as soon as I stop moving my body temperature drops like a rock.  I think this is what happened.  I went home and ate some soup, holding the cup in my cold hands, and circulation came back -- fortunately not painfully.  I've had that happen and it's not fun. A hot bath took care of the rest of the chill.

Traci - practice hills.  The more you do, the easier they feel.

I did 16 today,  following the Chambersburg Half Marathon course, then adding a few miles in town.  This was one of those days when the hills felt easy - maybe because of yesterday's efforts.  I was faster than expected, but didn't really feel it until about mile 12.  I had really been dreading the long run today, so I brought music, and that helped a lot.  Unfortunately, I can't do that on the local races as headphones are forbidden.  Legs and glutes were very sore the last two miles, but I got through it.  Oddly, my Garmin erased the run when I uploaded it.  That's the second time it's done that.  Really irritating.

hog4life

5 miles with Bella, and ouch!

Traci, no reason that you can't run a hilly course over there. I would do a 4-7 mile run, put the bigger hills near the end of mile 4. Or you could go do the Whiskey Hill preview run.

Zelanie

Ginny, nice 16!  Really strong run. Smile  You won't have music during the race, but you didn't have race day crowds and excitement today.

I'm also pretty sure that I have Raynaud's, and it acted up on me the other day when it was close to 60 degrees out, but it was wet.  The combination of cool and damp seems to get me more than actual cold.  Also, brief cold things on my hands (cold drinks, reaching into the fridge, etc) set me off big time.  I also love getting warmed up with some hot tea, and I have a box of hand warmers in the garage that I bring with me when it's actually cold outside.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Ginny and PAD, nice LRs!

Damaris

PADRunner

Ginny- That's about how it went with me today. 60 outside when I finished. Came inside and after a little while I had kind of a chill. After a shower hey were fine. My hands have always been cold but never had this happen till just recently. his is te 4th time.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

4.1 miles at Lackland Air Force base, followed by a 50-minute weight training circuit.  It was cloudy when I ran, but the sun came out with a vengeance later today, getting up to nearly 80 degrees.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Yep, I've had Raynaud's for years. Doesn't matter what the temp is, my fingers and/or toes shut down and turn white if I get chilled. It can happen in the peak of summer when temps shift quickly, such as going in/out of AC. When I finish a run I almost always chill and it can happen. Doesn't hurt or anything, just freaky weird and I try to keep myself from chilling as much as I can control it. I've talked to my doctor and was adviced to just avoid getting cold; that there really aren't any harmful side effects or anything to be done. The explanation I received was that when your body gets cold, the tiny capalaries in your extremities contract in an effort to keep your core body warm. Disclaimer - this is what I remember from a few years back and I am by no means an expert. I've just learned to live with it, type with fingerless gloves on, and head for a warm shower afer my runs.

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K