Beginners and Beyond

Saturdailies in the crazy place (Read 37 times)

LRB

Last night's MP run (12 with 9 at MP) was really hard.  It was 88 when I went out at 7:00 and still 80 when I got back in, and of course I stubbornly refused to adjust for heat because I only have a few of these runs left and wanted to see the numbers on paper.  I was doing reasonably well through 7 and then had to make a pit stop, and after that I just couldn't get my pace back for the last 2.  Of course, by then it had gone from "mostly dark" to fully dark, and it was also hard to find my footing on the gravel path I was on.  But still, heat or not heat, it had me thinking of whether I want to re-evaluate my GMP.  Goal for yesterday's run was 9:10, I ended with an average of 9:14, with almost all of the fade coming in the last 2.  I'm sure I could have done it on a cooler day, though...

You are kicking ass girl, the above says so.  There.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  6 and weights tonight.  I hope it rains for my 18 tomorrow as the weather fucking sucks right now.

Z, don't make me go over there and hit you in the head.  ADJUST FOR WEATHER! 

Damaris

LRB

lol

I do not adjust either.  : : ducks : :

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Yep.... I'm an idiot

This weekend for me is going to be really nice, a high of mid 70's today and a high of like 80 tomorrow with tomorrow morning's long run being in the low 60's!!! 

I've got a 3-4 mile  run planned later today, not worried about heat because it won't get hot and the humidity will go down! Woohoo!

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Ric-G

10 miles done...no rain here - not even close...have a great day everyone!...

marathon pr - 3:16

LRB

Yep.... I'm an idiot

lol

It happens.  Just be thankful DP is out racing or he would have had a field day with that one.

Cyberic

I see you saying that all the time, and I read the discussion between you and Sly about the pace adjustments. It makes sense and all, but I don't do it, and am not convinced I should.

Maybe it's because I don't follow a plan, and don't have a coach, and don't really care what the numbers say in my log - training is training, racing numbers count - but if it's hot and humid and I have to do intervals, I do them, and most of the time it's ok. It does happen that say I had 6 to do, I stop after 5 as I am panting too much, and my form inevitably suffers from that.

I'm not saying I'm right in this, just that it is the way I approach training (especially since I read Daniels' book). Each run has a physiological adaptation goal (VO2Max, Lactate Threshold, Recovery, Heart Stroke Volume, etc.). I want each of my runs to attain the daily objective, but numbers are secondary. Maybe time will prove me wrong in this, but for now my racing times are progressing at an acceptable rate. That must mean I'm doing some things right Big grin

If I lived in Florida where every day is like the rare hot days we get here, then maybe adjusting my pace would be a no brainer.

Zelanie

Maybe it's because I don't follow a plan, and don't have a coach, and don't really care what the numbers say in my log - training is training, racing numbers count - but if it's hot and humid and I have to do intervals, I do them, and most of the time it's ok. It does happen that say I had 6 to do, I stop after 5 as I am panting too much, and my form inevitably suffers from that.

What I noticed when I was in Costa Rica this summer was that my shorter, faster intervals weren't really affected at all, but the longer workouts where I had to hold pace over time was where I noticed the difference.  Tuesday's speedwork I never had to adjust, but sometimes I did dial it back for the MP run and the LR.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

What I noticed when I was in Costa Rica this summer was that my shorter, faster intervals weren't really affected at all, but the longer workouts where I had to hold pace over time was where I noticed the difference.  Tuesday's speedwork I never had to adjust, but sometimes I did dial it back for the MP run and the LR.

That was the discussion Slymoon and me had.  Shorter intervals (anything less than a mile) are easy to complete at faster than normal effort in heat and humidity.  But anything longer is like racing the workout instead of running it on pace because the effort is higher.  You did well THERE! 

And LRB, , this is for you.  LOL.

Damaris

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

lol

It happens.  Just be thankful DP is out racing or he would have had a field day with that one.

True...... hell he might still later this evening if it is on the front page.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

LRB

True...... hell he might still later this evening if it is on the front page.

Nah, the OP is gone (original post), you can take a sigh of relief.  lol

D, I do take conditions into account when running long as well, just not short or speed work.  Am I out of the dog house now?

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Nah, the OP is gone (original post), you can take a sigh of relief.  lol

D, I do take conditions into account when running long as well, just not short or speed work.  Am I out of the dog house now?

I find that's the most important adjustment you should do.  When people don't adjust during the LR and it's hot and humid (say, 90F or above, ), they don't get as much endurance as you would have had you run at the right effort (not pace, effort), and the marathon is an endurance event.  So yes, you are out of the dog house.  FOR NOW.

Andrea, I can lock it.  And I can tell who unlocked it if they do (you hear me LRB?)

Damaris

LRB

Andrea, I can lock it.  And I can tell who unlocked it if they do (you hear me LRB?)

Are you kidding?  She is the one you should be locking it from not anyone else.  lol

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Are you kidding?  She is the one you should be locking it from not anyone else.  lol

Oh, yeah....

Damaris

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

I hear you Cyber.

I can't say definitively either way, however I do know that if I ignore adjustments on a quality I can typically finish. But the next quality (a few days later) may very likely be a failure either in completion of pacing.

I don't know if that means I am training to my limit, you are sand bagging or?  I dunno.

I can say that the vast majority of my quality runs are a challenge to complete and w adjustments.