Beginners and Beyond

Saturdailies in the crazy place (Read 37 times)

LRB

But the next quality (a few days later) may very likely be a failure either in completion of pacing.

That's a good point.  I would probably have to take a closer look if I had a high number of quality runs and extreme conditions for sure.

B-Plus

What's this heat you speak of?

happylily

Count me as one who does not like to adjust for heat. I understand that in order to complete 18+ mile LRs, I may have to slow down, but for intervals and shorter runs at race pace, I do not adjust. I believe my legs need to learn the proper turnover speed for faster paces, and running slowly in the heat won't help with that. Maybe it helps with endurance, but not with speed. My legs don't care if my lungs and heart are working too hard, they need to be worked at the correct pace for my muscles to develop. Plus, the fact that I work harder in warm temperature than I do in cooler weather makes me feel like it's ok to whine about it.  So no adjustment here, let's tough that mother out.

8 easy miles, 8:22 pace, 84F. Today was rather cool and I didn't have to adjust my pace. 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

DavePNW

Apparently I missed something here earlier. Oh well.

Interrupting today's weather report for a brief race report: ass kicked, names taken.

13.1 @ 1:39:51

Nailed my secret goal of 1:40, shattered my PR of 1:45 set 4 months ago (yes as some of you have pointed out, that was a bit soft).

Oh and 1st in AG (...out of 2...small race). And my weather cooperated perfectly.

A good day.

Dave

happylily

Interrupting today's weather report for a brief race report: ass kicked, names taken.

Nailed my secret goal of 1:40, shattered my PR of 1:45Tight lippedx set 4 months ago (yes as some of you have pointed out, that was a bit soft).

Oh and 1st in AG (...out of 2...small race). And my weather cooperated perfectly.

A good day.

AWESOME! Sub-3:30 is yours, Dave. 

happylily

Remember what I said about HMs being better indicators of marathon performances than any other shorter races. Now make sure you recover enough before you continue your training.

DavePNW

Remember what I said about HMs being better indicators of marathon performances than any other shorter races. Now make sure you recover enough before you continue your training.

Well that's why I really wanted to do it, and race it hard, even though some people thought it was a bad idea.

I will try to take some recovery time, although not too much...suggestions are welcome.

Dave

LRB

Nailed my secret goal of 1:40, shattered my PR of 1:45 set 4 months ago (yes as some of you have pointed out, that was a bit soft).

A good day.

Ass was definitely kicked!  

LRB

Well that's why I really wanted to do it, and race it hard, even though some people thought it was a bad idea.

I will try to take some recovery time, although not too much...suggestions are welcome.

I have a suggestion; LOG THE RUN.  

happylily

Run very easy the first few days, maybe even skip the intervals. Towards the end of the week, you will know how you feel and decide then if more recovery is needed. Myself, I'd maybe run 8-10 less miles for the week and run less, or no, intervals. With that, I'd be good for my LR the following Sunday. Your race today was a great speed workout in itself, so it's ok if you skip the next one, don't feel guilty.

DavePNW

I have a suggestion; LOG THE RUN.  

Man some people are impatient! With my watch I actually have to turn my computer on & physically connect the cable. I decided to shove food in my face first thing when I got home. Now deciding whether to upload or shower next.

Probably do an RR later. In short, very nicely paced, about a 1 min negative split.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

A good day.

Great job!

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Man some people are impatient! With my watch I actually have to turn my computer on & physically connect the cable. I decided to shove food in my face first thing when I got home. Now deciding whether to upload or shower next.

Will most definitely do an RR later. In short, very nicely paced, about a 1 min negative split.

FYP.

Now recover!

Damaris

LRB

Cyberic

I hear you Cyber.

I can't say definitively either way, however I do know that if I ignore adjustments on a quality I can typically finish. But the next quality (a few days later) may very likely be a failure either in completion of pacing.

I don't know if that means I am training to my limit, you are sand bagging or?  I dunno.

I can say that the vast majority of my quality runs are a challenge to complete and w adjustments.

I pretty much never push myself to exhaustion during training. If I push too much, my next quality run is going to suffer, just like you said. The stress I plan to put my body through in a given session is most probably less than you, and a lot of you. In other words, in perfect weather, my quality workouts are not exhausting. Therefore I have a buffer.

But my tendency will be to hold pace and shorten the session if necessary (finish with easy running), instead of reducing pace to get the mileage number correct.