Beginners and Beyond

I don't think I'll be running outside Sunday and Monday... (Read 96 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

My Monday is showing a high of 0 and a low of -8, looks like I'll have to wear my face mask Smile

Sunday will start out in the low 30's and end in the negatives, so I'll definitely be doing my LR in the early morning.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

happylily

FS, for some reason, I always thought that Indiana had cold winters like the central Northern states. Where the heck is Indiana anyway? Lemme go google that...

EDIT: Strange, it seems north enough that it should be colder there...

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Lol, I think our land works the same with the cold air as it does with severe storms, the bottom of Indiana and top of Kentucky is like a valley, or a bunch of valleys that seem to hold off a lot of severe weather. I do know that once back in the 1900's the Ohio river along Evansville and Henderson actually froze over, and people were able to drive and walk across and to Kentucky. Of course rumors are also that once the river was so filthy that somewhere up North, it caught on fire........ can't remember how much of the river but it made officials think that maybe they needed to clean up the river.

Edited: 1936 (or February 1937?) - http://www.courierpress.com/news/2011/feb/19/wild-weather/

FS, for some reason, I always thought that Indiana had cold winters like the central Northern states. Where the heck is Indiana anyway? Lemme go google that...

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Just B.S.

This is winter as I remember it growing up. The last 5-8 years had been weirdly mild. We've had your temperature the last few weeks, Beth, and all I can say is: yep, that's what winter is like. Thank God for good heating systems.

You are right Lily. This is more like the old fashioned winters I remember as a kid. And I never remember

school being closed back then Smile

Last year we had a shitload of snow but only a few days below -20 or so. This year I am losing track of

how many days have been that cold already.

obiebyke

Minnesota's governor called off all schools on Monday. I'm staying tuned about my work (at a college).

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

LRB

Our winters were different as well.  Back then, once it snowed you did not see the grass again until the snow melted in the spring.

One, you have got it made in the shade!  

StepbyStep-SH

Mine is actually very nice and I shouldn't complain.  It's around an Olympic sized speed-skating oval so it's perfectly 50 degrees and at about 3.5 laps / mile it's actually not too draining mentally.  It allows me to get in some speed work in the winter (and to be a wimp when it's just really cold and windy and miserable outside).

Is this at Pettit in Milwaukee? I'll be running 95.5 laps around it later this month for Icebreaker Marathon.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

LRB

Is this at Pettit in Milwaukee? I'll be running 95.5 laps around it later this month for Icebreaker Marathon.

Do you know how they track individual laps?

StepbyStep-SH

Do you know how they track individual laps?

Chip timing. If you ask a volunteer for your count on one lap, they'll find out and tell you next time around. I think there is also an electronic board with it, but I'm not sure how easy it would be to find your name amongst 100+ while running.

I'm just going to do it as a nice supported long run in the middle of winter with no wind and perfect temperatures.

Hip Redux

LRB

Chip timing. If you ask a volunteer for your count on one lap, they'll find out and tell you next time around.

Got it!

LRB

StepbyStep-SH

Hip Redux

Big grin

DavePNW

Um, isn't this YOU, at your 18 laps/mile indoor track?

LRB - any idea where there might be an indoor track in my neck of the woods?

Dave