Beginners and Beyond

ThursDAILIES: Train smart, race hard, eat sh*t up! (Read 44 times)

LRB

'Sup crew!

I will be heading out for some easy miles here in a bit, but right now I am just chilling enjoying the morning serenity.

What's on the schedule for you today?

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

Good Morning, and Happy Thursday, Richard and the Dailies!

Just got home from work. Finished up a string of nights this morning, so I'm enjoying a cold one and getting ready to hit the sack for a few hours.

I'm planning on 3-4 miles this afternoon. Nothing fancy. But first, sleep calls.

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

delicate flower

Hello, Thursday Dailies!   Looks like another beautiful day here in the Hartford/Springfield area!  I will run after work, believe it or not.

10 easy miles last night.  My legs seem to still be in recovery mode from two very hard runs in the past five days.  So, we'll keep the effort easy again today.

That's all I got.

<3

5 easy on the treadmill.

Dave

happylily

Morning!

10 easy tonight. I want to keep them slow because I have an important 20 miler with MP miles coming on Sunday.

I booked an apartment for 5 days in NYC for the marathon. Found my airfare. Selected my transport to the start line, selected the no bag option in order to receive the free NYCM poncho at the finish. Now all I have to do is find a restaurant near 77th Ave. where I can meet my sister-in-law after the race. I saw there is a place owned by a couple from PEI, Canada, it's called Flex Mussels and is very well rated on TripAdvisor. But the idea of eating mussels right after running 26.2 miles makes me sick to my stomach. I'm open to suggestions.

Have a nice day!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Good morning. Rick, thank you for starting today's thread. Enjoy your easy run.

Tom, have a refreshing sleep and a great run.

Phil, terrific ten last night. Have an awesome run tonight.

DaveP MI, bravo on the five TM miles.

Lily, have a great run tonight. How about a light fish dish, if they have one? Fish, provided that it isn't greased into oblivion, is easily digested.

Weights and cardio after work tonight.

I booked an apartment for 5 days in NYC for the marathon. Found my airfare. Selected my transport to the start line, selected the no bag option in order to receive the free NYCM poncho at the finish. 

This is awesome. Did not know you were planning NYCM. I guess yet another year we will not meet in Amherstburg? 

Sorry no restaurant suggestions.

Dave

StepbyStep-SH

Planning on 12 miles today. I'm going to check out the rails-to-trails bike trail to see how it is handling the spring thaw. It is crushed rock, and when there is snow, it is used as a snowmobile trail, so spring is sometimes a bit iffy. If I can't run there, I'll just hit some roads in a more rural area, I think. Thursday I normally try to do a strength training class also, but I'm feeling tired, and I really need that hour to get some things done at home before DH comes back from traveling tonight.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

LRB

What up peeplets!

7 easy done and the first run in my new DS Racers.  They are racing flats so I really cannot judge them as today was an easy run.  I will thus reserve judgement until I get them bad boys on the track this weekend.

So far this week my runs have been in around 32 degrees which despite the wind has been absolutely awesome! 

From the Internet.

Morning dailies! Took yesterday off from running due to an achy left shin and right Achilles. I have a new theory as to why my lower legs take such a beating after reading this: http://www.runnersworld.com/injury-prevention-recovery/its-all-in-the-hips?page=single I don't think I've ever had my glutes firing properly while running and I know for a fact that I hinge at the hips more than I should, so I think that screws up my landing and puts undue stress on calves/shins.

I added a whole lot of barbell glute bridges to my lifting routine yesterday and warmed up with a couple of the unweighted single-leg variety before running this morning, and I can kind of force my hips and glutes to do what they're supposed to do while running if I think *really* hard about it. My butt is sore but my calves feel reasonably loose after 5 miles, so that's good, maybe? I'm also going to try sitting down less during the day to prevent bad posture/tight hip flexors.

Zelanie

Morning!  Last track workout before my HM is done!  It was 3 x 1600, with a goal pace of 8:09.  I ran them in 8:10, 8:08, and 8:08. Smile  I'm actually enjoying what's supposedly 10K pace for these track workouts.  It takes concentration, but isn't really too hard for that distance.  I swear I could feel the difference between this pace and the 1 sec/lap pace slower from last week, but I kept telling myself that it was all in my head.

Today I am running at school with the kids' track club.  Just 30 minutes of easy jogging with whatever kids want to show up.  Today is my first day, and I'm looking forward to it.

LRB- Glad you like the new shoes!

Tom- Have a good rest and a good run!

Phil- Hope you have a good after-work run!

Dave- Nice miles.

Lily- It's always more real when everything is booked. Smile  Right now you're training for Boston, correct?

Basya- Have a great day and a great workout later!

Step- Hope the trail is passable for you!

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Morning!

I did 8 Easy on the TM this morning.

Got a call last night from a family friend. He left a VM saying that had a heart attack and he needed his sleep apnea machine from his apartment (I have keys). Holy crap! I called as soon as I woke up and they got him a machine. I'll call in a bit to see what he needs. It's not every day that someone leaves a message saying they had a heart attack!

- Andrew

Zelanie

Andrew- Hope your friend is OK!

Lauren- Thanks for the article.  I think that makes a lot of sense.  For me, I think strides help a lot for developing form.  They're short, and we focus on staying upright and it does feel really good.  And my crummy runs are those where I tell myself I'm tired and hunch over and probably come down with the force of a hundred elephants with each step.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  12.25 miles done before working from home.  Sammy and Rubio are at the vet getting annu checkups.

lily, the poncho is amazing. I kept it and would still use it after a race when I race another cold one.

Damaris

Will run for scenery.

Andrew, I hope your friend is okay. Was the attack apnea-related ? I have SA and the machine is a huuuuge help.

Lily - 5 days in a NYC hotel ? Sounds $cary !  For food after the race, I recommend beer. It's easily digested, like fish, but the big difference : it's beer.

AFM, I did 2.5 hours of cardio and TM last night, including 3x 1/2 mi @ 10:00.  And as strange as this sounds, I think I'm starting to like the elliptical.  Just a bit.

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!