Beginners and Beyond

ThursDAILIES: Train smart, race hard, eat sh*t up! (Read 44 times)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!

I did 8 Easy on the TM this morning.

Got a call last night from a family friend. He left a VM saying that had a heart attack and he needed his sleep apnea machine from his apartment (I have keys). Holy crap! I called as soon as I woke up and they got him a machine. I'll call in a bit to see what he needs. It's not every day that someone leaves a message saying they had a heart attack!

Hope he is OK.

Damaris

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Ack! That will stir you from sleep.  Hope he recovers well.

Rest all day, nothing but.   And rolling my calves...  damn I feel such the slacker...

outoftheblue

Just 4 easy miles today for me.  Harvested the last of the asparagus this morning, I'm going to miss it!

Zel -- I responded to your question on Pfitz on yesterday's dailies near the end of the day in case you missed it.

Life is good.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Eating shit up right now by ordering Chinese for lunch.  Yum.

Kitties' vet visit went well.  Two more to go next week.  Those two are the bad ones, LOL.

Damaris

LRB

Just 4 easy miles today for me.  Harvested the last of the asparagus this morning, I'm going to miss it!

I grew those back in the day when I had time to garden, though only for a couple of years one of which was the year I planted the roots and could not harvest them.  I have also grown artichokes (yes, in Michigan) and there is a funny story that is too long to write about getting those seeds.

D, I am at Pei Wei and it's about to go down girl!

DavePNW

Dave

StepbyStep-SH

Andrew - Sending prayers for your friend!

I did get my 12 miles in - very slow on very heavy, tired legs. But it was a fun run due to all the birds I saw: bald eagles, canada geese, swans, mallards, wood ducks, hooded merganser, and (I think) pintails, northern shovelers, and possibly a loon. Plus gulls, blue jays, cardinals, robins, red-winged blackbirds, and some other smaller songbirds I can't identify.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

LRB

Yum.

Indeed.  It has gone from a once a month splurge to a mainstay in my weekly rotation, mostly because at $8.47 it is no more expensive than any other place I eat except I leave with a full belly.

While on the subject of food, having attained my target racing weight for this year (172 lbs) I am no longer watching my calories and am now trying to adapt to maintaining my weight for the duration of this season.

Last season saw me drop from 196 lbs to 176, a weight I was able to maintain comfortably throughout the year.  At 172 lbs, my days of dieting are most likely over...unless I blow up during the off season of course.  ;-)

Seriously though, I feel that weight is often overlooked in the chase for PR's, and is something to look at if your times have stagnated (not you Dave the reader).

LRB

But it was a fun run due to all the birds I saw: bald eagles, canada geese, swans, mallards, wood ducks, hooded merganser, and (I think) pintails, northern shovelers, and possibly a loon. Plus gulls, blue jays, cardinals, robins, red-winged blackbirds, and some other smaller songbirds I can't identify.

Where in the hell did you run?  Through the set of an Alfred Hitchcock movie?  lol

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Where in the hell did you run?  Through the set of an Alfred Hitchcock movie?  lol

Have I ever shared my birds picture?  They stand in droves at the light near my house.  Thousands of them.  I feel they are watching me.

Damaris

LRB

Have I ever shared my birds picture?

I have never seen it.

DavePNW

Seriously though, I feel that weight is often overlooked in the chase for PR's, and is something to look at if your times have stagnated (not you Dave the reader).

Oh I know you're talking to me!

Of course I am still in a place where I should be able to get plenty of improvement from just training properly (should I ever decide to do that...). But I do realize there is a weight factor, and notice that a lot of the speedier people at my height can be 20 lb less than me. I have no interest in losing weight & can't imagine where it would come from, because I have weighed that little even in my younger days. But I wonder if at some point I will get serious enough about running to drop weight for the sole purpose of getting faster. My wife would think I was insane (even more so than already).

Dave

LRB

Oh I know you're talking to me!

I Was Not Was.

Yeah it is purely an individual thing and certainly not a judgement on those who choose to stand pat.

StepbyStep-SH

Re: Where I run - the rail-trail I like to run on goes through a wildlife refuge that encompasses a lot of Mississippi River backwaters and another river that goes through. There is open water, wooded wetlands, fields, and very few vehicle access points (only 4 in 13 miles of trail). I love it! If I can figure it out, I'll try to post a couple of pictures from today.

Re: weight. I need to get my weight back down. I was around 120 when I ran my PRs, and I'm at least 10 pounds over that now. I think that may be a contributing factor to feeling like I have lost my speed. Sad

StepbyStep-SH

Where I started my run - I love going over this bridge.

One of the eagles I saw, and if you look at the sky, you can see the dozens, or hundreds, of ducks that took off as I reached that area.