Beginners and Beyond

Week 2 Penguins, taking a bubble bath! (01/08 - 01/14) (Read 16 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Eh, I figured the interesting titles could stick around, perhaps!  Though I took my bubble bath last night ...

The weather is beginning to break, a little -- it's supposed to get all the way up to 42 here.  Thank goodness -- it was -2 when we left for church yesterday morning, and that's just mean.  We took my car instead of DH's, because I have heated seats!!  And it's possible, with these temps, I can get out for my afternoon walk again.  I'm just not doing that when it's below freezing out.

Still trying to figure out what to do with my cell phone (upgrade, switch services, ??).  Also trying to register my quartet for regional competition, but the link is broken (SAI has about the worst, most dysfunctional website I've ever seen.  When confronted about this, their response is usually, "We're about vocal education.  Not about making the website navigable."  I want to smack them.)

And working on getting my instrument up and running again.  I cleaned the cone, which was kind of black and charred-looking.  Yeah, that might've been a problem ...

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

GinnyinPA

HM - I had my bubble bath yesterday too. It felt good after my long run.  Good luck with the registration and fixing your instrument. Do you have to do something about the phone?

We have light snow falling here, but it is warmer. I don't know if we'll get above freezing though. Today is a rest or cross-training day, which is good because my back still hurts. I will probably do something about the Christmas decorations now that we're past Epiphany. I'll miss the tree lights.

Singer who runs a smidge

My contract is up, so I have to decide what I want to do about that.  No biggie.

I haven't taken down our lights either, mostly because it's been too frickin' cold!  Maybe this weekend, although our chorus holiday party is Sunday, so Saturday is a cheesecake making day.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Evening!  Took today off as a sick day as I was in fact sick, lol.  I ran Disney yesterday and puked my way through 26.2 miles.  And apparently, I wasn't the only one.  So weird.

RD for me.  Managed to meet my dad for lunch and it went well.

HopesMom, good luck with the phone.

Ginny, hoping your back feels better.

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

Sorry you (and others) were sick, Docket!!

Ended up re-upping with Sprint, as they offered me a better plan for $50 less per month.  I think it's too good to be true, and that my actual bill will be higher than they said.  I asked them to clarify the bottom line three times, and told them I was saving the transcript of the chat in case I needed to take it to customer service.  So, we'll see.

Basically they said I now own my phone, I have no contract, we have unlimited talk, text, and data, and free Hulu for the rest of our lives.

Yeah, right.

But hey, we'll see.

GinnyinPA

We took down the ornaments, but Jim insisted we leave the tree with its lights up. Seeing all the needles on the rug, I don't think that will last long, but it's a cheerful note to wake up to.

Big warmup here for the next few days. I have 9 miles with 5 at LT. I'll have to see how my back handles that. I may have to cut it short.

Singer who runs a smidge

What's LT?

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

LOL.  Good for you, HopesMom.  They save their conversations with us, so it's good that you do the same.  We recently changed our 13 year old plan with AT&T and we are actually paying the same for more benefits, so it took forever for me to realize it was actually a better deal.

I think LT is Lactate Threshhold, or tempo pace.

Ginny, good luck with the run.

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

Ah, thanks!  I thought "light tempo", "long term", "loveable tophat" ... nothing quite made sense.

GinnyinPA

I managed the 9 miles. My back hurt the first half mile, then shut up until I was done. The five miles in the middle were at a pace about halfway between my 10k pace and my HM pace, supposedly a pace you could hold for an hour or so.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Nice 9, Ginny!

Morning!  I have 4-6 miles tonight.  I did manage to run my 3 last night.

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

I have quartet rehearsal tonight, since our bari will be out of town on Friday.

So weird things happen in my lab, right?  I have a service engineer here fixing one of my LC systems.  It's got an error she's seen a hundred times before, with one common cause.  All the indicators are that the problem is the part she suspects is going bad.

So she replaces that part.

Only to find that it's a completely different part, one that NEVER goes bad.

Yep, it's my lab!!

So she's back this morning with another replacement part.

No worries, it's just comical.  For those of you into obscure literary references, my lab is the Withywindle, the source of all that is strange.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I have Pilates and 6-8 miles and weights tonight.

HopesMom, Gah at your lab!

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

I had quartet rehearsal last night, chorus rehearsal tonight.  I'm very today.  Tomorrow probably won't be much better!