Beginners and Beyond

A question on strides... (Read 111 times)

#artbydmcbride

I'm different, I do them early after a mile or so of warm-up.

Runners run

LRB

I'm different, I do them early after a mile or so of warm-up.

That would make for a more interesting run than easy runs tend to be sometimes that's for sure.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Between strides, intervals and fartleks, it's a wonder anything gets done at all.  Especially for folks like me with a smaller threshold for speed.

I probably do my fartleks too structured but when I do them it sounds like the strides mentioned here, except I go with .1 of a mile.  I might try doing something in the 100m range next time I prep for 5K.

FWIW, when I do my "fartleks", lately I've been warming up for 1 mile, then doing 3 miles worth alternating .1 mile of fartlek @ 7:30 pace followed by .1 mile of 9:30 pace & repeat.  Then after I'm nearly dead, I do 1 more mile of cool down to force my body to recoup while still moving.

Randy

Tar Heel Mom

kween

I do them at the end of the run, too, but they are a rare part of my workout. Maybe once or twice in a 10- to 12-week training cycle.

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hey, I just did my 8 mile run with the 10x100m strides. I ran a nice easy 6 miles and did the 10 strides to finish it off. I was kind of guessing on the distance of them but they were close enough. A few of them were on a slight uphill so those kind of kicked my butt. Thanks again for the tips and advice.

LRB

I was kind of guessing on the distance of them but they were close enough.

I shoot for 20 to 25 seconds then on the last one, 30 to 35.  You will get the feel for the distance though the more you do them.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

I shoot for 20 to 25 seconds then on the last one, 30 to 35.  You will get the feel for the distance though the more you do them.

Jack,

Your paces seem to be relatively close to mine, so this may help.

When I stride at the end of a workout, I tend to do 12 x 10 second repeats taking 27-29 steps which in turn is roughly 50 meters.  I can and have run these much faster, but I have found that to not be beneficial.

When I do 100 meter strides (depending on the difficulty of the workout) I tend to do 10 x 100 @ LRBs 20-25 second range, 55-60 steps.

Unlike fourouta5, I do rise up on the balls of my feet. (I am there a lot anyway these days). But the stride is about form not speed.

One of the reasons to include strides at the end of a work out, is simply to be aware and practice your form *after* you have started to get a little tired. 

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

LRB and Sly: counting steps is a good idea. I will try that next time I do strides. That or the 20-25 seconds. Thanks again.

LRB

LRB and Sly: counting steps is a good idea. I will try that next time I do strides. That or the 20-25 seconds. Thanks again.

It is suggested by Daniels as well, but my attention span would not allow me to count to ten without losing my place and having to start over again.

#ADDisabeeyotch

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

It is the only time I can fly at sub-7mm without asthma.  I love strides and fartleks for that matter.

Damaris

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

It is suggested by Daniels as well, but my attention span would not allow me to count to ten without losing my place and having to start over again.

#ADDisabeeyotch

Randy

Trail Monster

I tried 6 strides for the first time tonight. I did 2 miles warm up (9:27, 9:35) and then ran the 6 strides in my third mile (9:07) before cooling down 1 mile (9:44). My strides all seemed to be just shy of 0.1 mile and I did about the same as recovery between each one. Looking at my Garmin data I got up to about 7:45 per mile. But when I click on the low points of the pace on the graph it shows as sub-6 pace and my Garmin says my best pace was 5:27. I don't know what's right but I do know I had a lot of fun! I like this stride thing although I doubt I did it 'right'.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Use the lap button next time for the strides so you know what pace you ran them at.  I do 0.06 and 0.07 miles, which is around 100m and lap it each time.

I tried 6 strides for the first time tonight. I did 2 miles warm up (9:27, 9:35) and then ran the 6 strides in my third mile (9:07) before cooling down 1 mile (9:44). My strides all seemed to be just shy of 0.1 mile and I did about the same as recovery between each one. Looking at my Garmin data I got up to about 7:45 per mile. But when I click on the low points of the pace on the graph it shows as sub-6 pace and my Garmin says my best pace was 5:27. I don't know what's right but I do know I had a lot of fun! I like this stride thing although I doubt I did it 'right'.

Damaris

LRB

Looking at my Garmin data I got up to about 7:45 per mile. But when I click on the low points of the pace on the graph it shows as sub-6 pace and my Garmin says my best pace was 5:27.

The 7:45 pace was the average for the entire lap, not just the stride.  As Real Deal suggested, reset the lap then the pace will be for that portion of the run solely, and not averaged out with a slower part of a much longer lap.

I am glad to hear you use the word fun and strides in the same sentence, because they are!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

They are!

I am glad to hear you use the word fun and strides in the same sentence, because they are!

Damaris