Beginners and Beyond

Race Report- Portland Marathon - Debut (Read 106 times)

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

You did it! You didn't get the time you wanted, but you finished your first marathon and you are a marathon runner! It was fun following your training and hearing about your highs and lows and the Costa Rica trip with the great World Cup run while you were there. I know you are resting now but I think it's pretty obvious that there are more marathons in your future. They are brutal but very worthwhile and exciting. It's the training that sucks.

I hope you get an answer to your throat/ breathing issue. I could be wrong but I don't recall a single time that you ever had an issue like that before? I am sure you are thinking the same thing, but I would like to know what you could run if you didn't have the breathing issue. Lastly, how do you manage to smile for EVERY picture regardless of the amount of pain you are suffering? Smile  Big congrats to you. ((()))

tracilynn

I enjoyed your RR.  Im sorry it was such a bummer for you.  I have no experience running marathons (or anything for that matter- ha) but I kinda think this was just a fluke.  You have been so consistent and strong in all your training.  I honestly think if you ran another one it would go as planned.  

~~~~~~~

Traci

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

Congratulations on your first marathon Zel, you did it.  I have a similar experience as yours and thus you are not alone.  I ran my first marathon after 6 months of 25 mpw and at the start line decided I could do a sub-4.  Ran the half at 2:01:00.  At mile 17 my pace went from 9:05 to 9:20, mile 18 to 10:00 and mile 19 to 10:20 where the death march continued to the end.  I literally could not run a step faster if I wanted, but I did not walk.  Upon reflection I was too ambitious for my first marathon, and more importantly did not understand what it takes to complete the entire thing.  You know have perspective and the next time will be better prepared to read your body signals, translate your training into specific paces, and set a realistic goal based on current fitness.

I trained using the Hansons’ training paces for a 4-hour goal race, and was able to hit those pace targets consistently when the temperature was under 80 degrees, and sometimes even when it was hotter.  But there was an exception- my easy pace.  I found that the pace I held when maintaining easy effort got slower and slower as the weeks went on.  That was my main indication that I was maybe pushing myself a little beyond what I was able to handle.  But then I would turn in a great quality workout and my confidence would soar again.  

This above is what first caught my eye.  A good quality workout is not enough of an indicator that you can maintain a certain pace.  Gains from quality work are incremental, and not the same as a long run.  A 6 mile strength run improves your speed and endurance, but is not the same as a 16 mile long run.  Perhaps you were not pushing yourself hard enough on the other days, or more likely your training paces were unrealistic.

Go out and plan for some 5k and 10k races.  Yes they suck, but they also help you increase your speed, and train your mind to endure the pain of running hard - the kind of mental fortitude needed to suffer in a quality workout as part of MRT.  Great RR, love the detail and how you remembered all the little things.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

You did it! You didn't get the time you wanted, but you finished your first marathon and you are a marathon runner!

+1 to what Jack said.   And let me tell you, Melanie, don't feel like the Lone Ranger, I can relate a bit to what you were going through because at Mile 16 of the one and only marathon I did - Honolulu in 2000 -  my vertigo kicked up.   I ended up walking in the last 10 miles and that is really not fun when you keep getting the occasional dizzy spell.  I  managed to finish thanks to two things - my own stupid stubbornness in that I was NOT going to DNF after coming all the way to Hawaii to do this; and two  very good friends who stuck right with me the whole time, unselfishly giving up THEIR marathon plans to help me.   Took  me a whopping 6 hours and 47 minutes to finish!  So from my perspective, your finish time for your first one is GREAT.

I can't call myself a marathon RUNNER (just a finisher), but YOU sure can.  You stuck with it, you ran the whole way, you showed great determination and persistence, and you DID it.  Even the best runners in the world sometimes have an occasional bad day too, you know.   So don't beat yourself up about it.  You just did 26.2 freakin' miles!  Be proud of your accomplishment and as for the rest, you will take all you learned from this one and you will ROCK a future marathon, no doubt in my mind about that.  Maybe not right away, maybe not even the next one or two that you do after this one....but you will get there!  Cuz from what I've learned of you from interacting with you on these forums, that is just who you are, a very talented and PERSISTENT runner.

Not the outcome you wanted or, I guess, imagined for yourself, but still you did it!   As I was reading your words, these lines from a Rudyard Kipling poem came to mind...that this was YOU :

If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew

To serve your turn long after they are gone,

And so hold on when there is nothing in you

Except the Will which says to them: ‘Hold on!’

It takes a lot of willpower and courage to dig deep, to find that something inside of you that keeps you moving forward when you sometimes feel you've got nothing left.  Well done!   In my book, you earned this:  CONGRATS!!!

Very entertaining race report, I enjoyed reading every bit of it.  As for your photos - well, you didn't look bad to me at all.  Maybe because  'hunched shoulders'  and crooked back (my stupid spinal arthritis!) is the way I ALWAYS run, lol.   So to me, you looked downright damn beautiful!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Love the Half

In reading through your report, I see four possibilities.

1.  Heat.  I have watched many, many people not adjust for heat.  If it was over 50 degrees and you didn't adjust your goal pace, that could very well be your culprit.  In what was probably my best marathon ever, not my PR, just my best, I saw my first walker at Mile 15 and I saw a lot of other folks run 20 and 30 minute positive splits.  That day it wasn't terribly warm at the start - 61 degrees - but the humidity was awful.  Those who didn't adjust crashed hard.  What were the weather conditions at the start?

2.  Lack of mileage.  This is typically the crash and burn cause.  A 12-15 mile marathon pace run is one thing.  Holding that same pace for another 11.2 miles is a whole 'nother ballgame.  It is extremely rare for anyone to come close to a McMillan predicted time if they're running less than 70 miles per week regardless of how religiously they follow some canned plan.  What was your mileage like for the six months or so leading up to the race?  Don't forget that you have to count any zero mile weeks as well as low mile weeks in your average.

3.  Lack of variety.  Too many runners, in training for a marathon, do marathon pace runs and easy runs and nothing else.  While I agree that the focus of your training shouldn't be on tempo runs or VO2max workouts or even "R" workouts, there is a place for those things even in marathon prep.

4.  Some fluke thing.  The throat issue sounds strange and it's possible you simply got hit with some medical issue.  I am not a doctor nor do I play one on TV so I won't speculate.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

on my way to badass

Did you put the sticker on your car yet?  Well done!

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

Wow Zel, what a great report.  Full of detail and thought processes, it was like being right there with you.

Congratulations are in order, because you finished your first marathon and remained positive even when the time-goal wheels were coming off.  Well done.

As others have mentioned, it is tough to race 26.2 "right" on your initial go-round.  Perhaps a minor flaw of the Hansons "we're training you how to run those last 16 miles well on tired legs"  is that first timers have no data point for "those last 16 miles", period.  Now you do.

Thinking back to my debut in Cleveland, there were some similarities to your experience.  The initial uh-oh moments were shortly after halfway, the water stations seemed hours apart at times, and I wasn't confident in notching the pace up or down to fit the moment, mentally or physically.  I was scared to stray from the pace group.  Something that has helped keep doubt at bay, since then, is trying to view the 2nd half as a stand-alone HM where you're allowed to go considerably slower than your HM pace.

With another cycle and the experience of having been there, you should be even better prepared for the next one.  But for now, recover!  You'll know when you're ready to start training hard again.

Ric-G

Congrats! Enjoyed your report and little details you sprinkled in. As Jay said, first-timers have no data point for the last part of a marathon. You just don't know how it's going to feel. I think you should be proud of what you accomplished. You also know you will have a much better mental picture of all of this the next time you do this. I think that knowledge along with cumulative training will allow you to blow past this debut time. Enjoy your recovery!

marathon pr - 3:16

onemile

Congrats on finishing your first.

I've had good luck on Hansons and used their advanced plan twice. My legs did feel dead and tired for most of it and I think slowing your easy runs is normal when you are tired and doing a couple quality runs each week on top of decent mileage.  I'm not really sure what went wrong. Maybe your goal was too aggressive?  But that's hard to say without a good, non-asterisked recent race result.

Regardless, nice job on toughing it out and I expect a big PR for your next one.

Baboon

delicate flower

Even though you don't want to hear it, congratulations on your first marathon, Mel.  That is a huge milestone for a runner and you should be very proud of yourself, finish time be damned.

I don't think you credit the heat enough for your fade.  58 at the start with a high of 85 and no cloud cover?  Very few runners can maintain a goal pace in that.  I had a 13 minute positive split in my last marathon thanks to similar but not quite as warm conditions.  Sure, it's lovely weather for a day in the park, but it's terrible for running a marathon.  I think the fact that you got so thirsty is an indicator of that.

No idea what the breathing issue was, but you just had everything working against you.  Heat, breathing, stomach...the fact that your legs don't feel like lead pipes right now tells me that your legs weren't the problem.  Sounds like your body was using it's energy to cool you down and combat your issues, rather than propel your body forward.  Your training data does not point to a 4:50 time.  I'd say 4:10 is within your reach, and maybe 4:20 if you struggled.  As runners we all have bad days, and unfortunately yours came the day of your debut marathon.  Consider this PR to be very soft and not indicative of where you're at.  Still, run finished a marathon, and any time you do that it is a great day.

<3

LRB

You are very sharp, realistic and able to see things from multiple perspectives.  I am certain with time and reflection you will figure it all out on your own.  In the meantime continue to analyze it all, learning from the negatives (both perceived and real) while building on the positives.

There is a competitor within us all but each of us treats these things differently.  However you choose to proceed the drive, heart and determination you displayed during this cycle and more specifically the race will serve you well in the future!

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

The first one's done. Now they get harder...j/k.
                          Each one is unique and presents its own challenges, so lots of adventures ahead for you.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Reflection: In the end, I think that this is probably just another “went out too fast, melted down disastrously” story.  Yes, there are some things I could have done differently, even at the midrace point, and who knows what the throat thing was, but I suspect those are more like supporting details.  Maybe it wasn’t even that I went out too fast for my current fitness as much as I went out too fast for somebody with my lack of experience to be able to handle at this point and in those conditions.  But that’s just it.  I have to say that during the last few miles, I never thought “I am never running a marathon again.”  What I thought was “The next time I do this, I am going to have a much better handle on what my pace should be before I start.”  I had been thinking of running Newport in the spring, but now I think I need to get a clearer sense of where I am and what a reasonable goal would be.

The trouble is, I don’t have a single race in 2014 that I feel is indicative of my current ability.  Every single one has an asterisk of some kind.  But at some point, excuses are just that.  Put up or shut up.  Either I can race better than I have been racing this year, or I’ve gotten slower this year even through I’ve been training better.  Or maybe I am just killing myself in training, and have nothing left for race day.  DH points out that I don’t race all that often, and that’s because it does make me really nervous.  I run just to run, because I enjoy it.  But I need a goal to give me a purpose for every run.  Without a goal in mind, I don’t think I could get out and run consistently.  And a great race is a fantastic thing, when everything is going right.  Only I haven’t experienced that in close to a year now, which can be disheartening.

Congratulations on your first marathon! The best part is you now have one under your belt and will definitely learn from it. That learning never stops by the way. I quoted the two paragraphs above because I love your attitude in them. It is exactly what you need to be thinking.

I had a rough year in 2012 after a really great 2011. Towards the end of that year I was really questioning where I was headed with running. Keep your head up - that fantastic race IS going to happen again. We all go through some rough stretches. It makes the good stuff even better.

GinnyinPA

I really enjoyed reading your race report, as always.  You are a very good writer.  I felt like I was there, though I doubt I would find as much humor in the situation as you were able to do.  As someone who is thinking about running a marathon in the next year or so, it is scary to read such a RR, but also helpful.  Just as you thought about Damaris pushing through despite her asthma, I'll keep your strong will to persevere in mind during my training and eventual race.

The throat thing, I still think might have been moisture related, since you mention the fact that it was such a long time between water stops there. Or stress. I know once I start feeling like I can't breathe, it becomes impossible to relax and breathe normally.

Any 10ks or 10 milers in your area in the near future?  They aren't as bad as an all out 5k, but would keep you training.

Hip Redux

Great job, Zel!!  Your last photo made me chuckle a little - "yes, I am holding it together!!"  lol