Beginners and Beyond

Running in the cold rain (Read 65 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Ok so I wussed out because it was 33 degrees and raining all day and night yesterday. Truth be told I would have gone for it but didn't know how to dress. Would tights get soaked and weighed down?  Would shorts have made sense?

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

StepbyStep-SH

Those conditions are some that I just won't run in, other than race day. Give me 10* and snow over 33* and rain any day.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

hog4life

I once did a race in 40 degrees and rain, I wore shorts, long sleeve tech shirt and a jacket, I should have ditched the jacket. Last night, feels like 29 with drizzle, wore tights, LS tech, SS tech, knit hat, gloves, neck gaiter, and fleece pullover. I was too hot with the fleece pullover, but it was nice since the wind was blowing. The tights getting wet were not an issue.

Monday night it was 34 with steady rain, I took a RD.

Love the Half

I ran yesterday in 35 degrees and rain.  Let me say that once you get soaked and your core is wet, it's fucking miserable and you freeze and you are convinced you will never be warm again and there is nothing you can do except put one foot in front of the other.  I would never plan on a run longer than an hour in those conditions.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Mmmmm...beer

I just got back from that run, 38* and driving rain/wind.  Only thing I regret was not wearing gloves, even wet they would have helped with the wind.  I wore shorts and a short sleeve shirt, could have gone with a long sleeve shirt, but the shorts were fine.

My avatar is from a race that was in similar weather and I was perfectly comfortable (of course I was running a lil harder than I was today lol).

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

I ran yesterday in 35 degrees and rain.  Let me say that once you get soaked and your core is wet, it's fucking miserable and you freeze and you are convinced you will never be warm again and there is nothing you can do except put one foot in front of the other.  I would never plan on a run longer than an hour in those conditions.

It is almost as bad as sitting your ass in an icebath...

delicate flower

Those conditions are some that I just won't run in, other than race day.

That.  I have access to treadmills and I am not afraid to use them.

<3

Ok so I wussed out because it was 33 degrees and raining all day and night yesterday. Truth be told I would have gone for it but didn't know how to dress. Would tights get soaked and weighed down?  Would shorts have made sense?

If I didn't shift days around, I'd use my raingear. Yes, tights and pants will get soaked and heavy. Cold water on legs can slow you down and perhaps result in injury (kinda like not being warmed up). If you slow down, you can't generate heat.

One wet summer, I had a lot of long runs (4-8 hrs) many in the rain, mostly in the mountains - probably in +40s. I tested shorts and rain pants and how long I could tolerate each. (I'd had a couple prior long races in summer cold rain, and either numbed my legs to lose agility or frustrated by rain pants) Race day everybody complained about the cold rain, and I never put my raingear on - it wasn't that cold or wet. Wink

Hypothermia is very real.

Around +33F, we'll frequently have water on top of ice, which is why I tend to avoid those conditions.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                  RSX

For a regular run I won't run in a hard rain. For a long run, if I have flexibility I move it, otherwise I will be out there.

SheCan

The name of this thread even makes me cold.  Don't do it!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

That description makes me want to quit right now!

Snowdenrun

I live in SE Alaska and these are the conditions I run in throughout the winter. I generally wear a few layers of shirts and just make sure the bottom most layer is a merino wool type shirt(I find the cheapo stuff). That way even though I get wet I am not generally cold while I am running. I sport a folded up bandanna on my head covering my ears. I generally wear tights with shorts over them. And I always wear socks tall enough to cover my ankles and meet with the tights. You can be warm(relatively) and if your ankles are exposed it sucks. And I wear a pair of flexible rubber like gloves that are meant for boat/fishing. The rubber is insulating and keeps the rain out better than any "waterproof" glove out there. They cost 2 bucks.

If I go out for a long run on the trails I take a hydration pack and add in some extra clothes in plastic bags that way if I get hurt and have to stop I can change clothes and not freeze to death.

If you really want to, you can run through these conditions and not spend tons of money on different clothes. That being said I rarely run in weather above 65.

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

My main concern would be that I don't warm up during the run.

On the other hand if I wear rain gear would I over heat?

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

LRB

I would think the key would be to keep your clothing as dry as possible, so If I had to do it, I would wear at least a garbage bag or rain poncho for the upper body, and some kind of plastic on my gloves.

Unless it was a light rain though, I would most likely opt for a run on the belt, like my dude B to tha 3,

LRB

On the other hand if I wear rain gear would I over heat?

You would be winning if that were the case!