Beginners and Beyond

Fueling for marathon - a never discussed before topic (Read 78 times)

Cyberic

I'm pretty satisfied with the way I train and the way I will train for my first marathon.

But there's one thing I have never done and that is eat while running. It seems like I won't be able to do it at race pace. Heck, when I have raced half-marathons, once tired (after 2/3 of the race) I couldn't even drink anymore.

I have considered going old school and only take water. I'm also thinking maybe I should try this before I say I can't. And of course, if I plan to do it on M-day, I have to practice and see how my body handles that.

Here are a few questions/thoughts I'd appreciate people's opinions on:

1. These things are expensive. Is there a shortcut, or do I have to experiment with gazillions of different products/flavors? 
    2. You have to drink water with these. Is one of those little paper cups in marathons enough water? Gotta make sure I don't spill a drop?
    3. Does anybody still race a marathon without fueling? If so, would they be faster if they fueled?
    Cyberic

Darn, I quoted myself again instead of modifying my post. Darn tablet, it seems like my fingers are not as precise as a mouse.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I used to not eat much during marathons, mostly because my stomach acid reflux was pretty bad.  However, I have found that eating more gels during the race has helped me so now I have trained my stomach to have more instead of less.  For example, I used to use only 1-2 gels during the race, now I use 5-6.

1. I don't think they are expensive.  I buy a box of Gus from the RunningWarehouse and they last a couple of months (I use them for LRs as well).

2.  They recommend you drink water but I usually just eat it when it's time and drink water at every water station, even if the water comes 5-10 minutes after the gel.

3.  I have not done marathons without fueling for stomach reasons.  I have not PRd in those.

Damaris

Half Crazy K 2.0

If the first product works for you, no need to experiment with others. I've used Cliff Shots in 2 halfs, only took a sip of water in my last one. If you are sensitive to caffeine, definitely read the labels, especially if caffeine, um, gets things moving.

May I suggest:

I saw this on Facebook the other day.  Yuck.

I think a lot depends how long are you going to be out there.

Brilliant

May I suggest:

I saw this on Facebook the other day.  Yuck.

I thought this was a prank so I had to google it...it's real! 

Zelanie

Cy, you're supposed to train first, and THEN get taper madness.  Geez!

My LRS lets you get the box discount for gels even if you mix and match flavors, so that might be an option if you want to try a few.  But yeah, there's no harm in getting one kind and sticking with it if you like it.  I know the Hansons boys recommend gel for any run lasting longer than an hour, so that would give you the opportunity to try some out, especially at MP.

I wonder if those are just more expensive outside the US?  In Costa Rica, they were super spendy, plus I had to take like 3 buses to get to the running store.

I always take a little water with them.  I've heard that the concentrated sugar can upset your stomach otherwise.  I think most can take them right before or after a water station and do fine.  During my marathon, I took one without water at all because I misjudged the location of the station, and was fine.  Annoyed, and thirsty, but fine.  I don't think you're supposed to take them with Gatorade since both have sugar.

I find that I like the consistency better if I keep them in a pocket so that they're slightly warm, instead of in a water bottle pouch or something like that.

My dentist, who is a lot faster than I am, runs with little bits of granola bars and sometimes fruit snacks, and he manages to not choke and die.  I ran with gummy bears once and thought I was going to suffocate.  But I had the cheap gas station kind.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

I bring two Gus and take how many they offer during the race. Three or four will get me through a marathon and I stop a few times for Gatorade.

onemile

I couldn't eat food while running a marathon but it's not that hard to take a gel while running.

I don't care for gatorade but that's an option too.

You will perform better with it than going "old school" unless you think you can gulp down enough gatorade (puke)

I take 4 Gu brand gels in a marathon (one every 5 miles-ish).  I just take the gel when I get to mile 5, 10, etc and then be sure to drink water at the next aid station. If it's a mile away, that's fine.  Whatever I can get out of the small cups they provide is enough.  (I used to always try to time my gel so I ate it as I was approaching the aid station.  You don't want to take it AT the aid station because you want to focus on getting down some water at that point without slowing down.  But it doesn't seem to matter if I get water RIGHT AWAY or if it's a 5 minute wait).

Anyway, I didn't experiment with a ton of different brands. I just tried Gu and a few flavors of it and had no stomach issues so that's what I use.  And now that I know it works for me, I do not take gels in training at all. Just on race day.

onemile

And in regard to flavors. I don't care for the fruity flavors. I like Espresso Love, Salted Caramel, Chocolate Mint etc.  And "like" is very generous.

Cyberic

Thanks all. I'll go to the LRS and buy for 10 bucks worth of different flavors / kinds. Gu sounds like a very popular choice, but I may try some other kinds, and hopefully find one I like and then buy a box. I'll also ask if, like Zel said, they let me mix a box.

For the water after, thanks for your experience.

And Zel, that is not taper madness. I'm trying to plan as much as I can. Since this is something I have to try before marathon day, why wait? Might as well start the experimenting right now!

I'll experiment with my belt with 4 water bottles, see if I feel like running a marathon with that or if I prefer to go free, but want to struggle with the darn paper cups. Last week I brought gatorade. It was warm out. It was disgusting. I'll try to freeze the bottles a bit before bringing them, and see if it was the gatorade itself or the fact that it was piss warm that was totally grossing me out.

I've started experimenting anti-chafing products (bought a body glide stick) and will experiment with different shirts I might wear, depending on the weather, where the chafe spots are.  Planning is part of the fun!

Zelanie

Cy, I am just teasing you. Smile Hope you find something that you like!

Cyberic

Cy, I am just teasing you. Smile Hope you find something that you like!

I knew you weren't talking seriously. But offered the long answer anyway. Smile

onemile

I'll experiment with my belt with 4 water bottles, see if I feel like running a marathon with that or if I prefer to go free, but want to struggle with the darn paper cups. 

I'd never carry water in a race - extra weight you don't need when there are aid stations!  Drinking from the paper cups takes practice. What I do is grab the cup in my left hand, and then grab the top of it with my right hand and crimp it leaving only a small spout on side of the cup, then pour the water out of that spout into my mouth.  If you practice this, you can do it without choking or spilling or really even slowing down.

Cy, what I do, FWIW:

Sports drink every time it is available.  If there is a station with gel, take one and get water at the next opportunity to wash it down.  Pinch the cup to make a spout and drink with elbow up (and pinky out if you must, lol).  If you have to scoot away from the station and then slow down a little to not spill as much, that's fine.

I do not carry anything, but will eat a bagel and some sugary stuff (Clif blocks are ideal) within a couple hours of gun time.

I take 4 Gu brand gels in a marathon (one every 5 miles-ish).  I just take the gel when I get to mile 5, 10, etc and then be sure to drink water at the next aid station. If it's a mile away, that's fine.  Whatever I can get out of the small cups they provide is enough.  (I used to always try to time my gel so I ate it as I was approaching the aid station.  You don't want to take it AT the aid station because you want to focus on getting down some water at that point without slowing down.  But it doesn't seem to matter if I get water RIGHT AWAY or if it's a 5 minute wait).

Anyway, I didn't experiment with a ton of different brands. I just tried Gu and a few flavors of it and had no stomach issues so that's what I use.  And now that I know it works for me, I do not take gels in training at all. Just on race day.

+1 to all this, pretty much. Last marathon I took 4 with me in a Spibelt, so as to not have to rely on the course. Those Spibelts are really stretchy! I had the 4 Gus, asthma inhaler, and passport in there (crossed the border into Canada, you know).

I try to take fluid roughly every 2 miles, often typical aid station spacing, but alternate water & Gatorade.

Dave